The effect of vitamin D supplement on the score and quality of sleep in 20-50 year-old people with sleep disorders compared with control group.
Nutr Neurosci. 2017 May 5:1-9. doi: 10.1080/1028415X.2017.1317395. [Epub ahead of print]
Majid MS1, Ahmad HS1, Bizhan H1, Mohammad Hosein HZ2, Mohammad A3.
- 1 Dept of Nutritional Science, Paramedical Faculty , Ahvaz Jundishapur Medical Sciences University , Ahvaz , Iran.
- 2 Dept Biostatistics, School of Health , Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical Science , Ahvaz , Iran.
- 3 Department of Nutritional Science , Arvand International Division of Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences , Ahvaz , Iran.
Scores would have been much better if the trial has lasted longer than 8 weeks or if they had started with a loading dose
- One pill every two weeks gives you all the vitamin D most adults need
- Poor sleep associated with 2X increase risk of Metabolic problems (both low Vitamin D) – May 2019
- 50,000 IU every 2 weeks, the same as this sleep study
- Sleep disorders cured by 60-80 ng of vitamin D and some B vitamins – March 2013
- Vitamin D improves sleep and reduces pain – review of studies July 2017
- The Better Sleep Vitamin (Vitamin D) – nice 3 dollar book Feb 2015
- Insomnia treatment 12X less likely to be effective if low vitamin D – Oct 2017
- Poor sleep associated with low vitamin D (again) – July 2017
- Poor sleep if low Vitamin D, Magnesium, or Vitamin B6 (NHANES) – June 2019
- Sleep greatly improved by 50,000 IU of vitamin D once every two weeks – RCT Sept 2018 the same study
|Sleep duration||6.5 hours||5.2 hours|
|Time to fall asleep||33 minutes||59 minutes|
|% of time in bed spent asleep||87%||81%|
|Subjective sleep quality|
Smaller is better
- Numbers have been reported as percentage or mean ± SD.
- P1: comparison of mean and SD of anthropometric indexes between two groups of vitamin D recipients and placebo recipients (independent sample t-test for hip circumference and weight variables and Mann–Whitney U statistical test for other variables).
- P2: comparison of mean and SD of anthropometric indexes between two groups of vitamin D recipients and placebo recipients after modifying job effect (ANCONA statistical test).
- P3: comparison of mean and SD of anthropometric indices in each group at the beginning and at the end of the study (paired sample t-test for weight, BMI and pelvic circumference variables and Wilcoxon statistical test for other variables).
Sleep quality may be directly related with vitamin D serum level. Some studies found that people with lower vitamin D serum level experienced a lower sleep quality. Consequently, this study aimed at determining the effect of vitamin D supplements on sleep score and quality in 20-50 year-old people with sleep disorders.
This double blind, clinical trial was performed in November 2015-February 2016 on 89 people with sleep disorders based on Petersburg's Sleep Index. Patient samples were divided randomly into two groups: intervention and placebo. At the end of the study, the data on 89 subjects (44 in intervention group and 45 people in placebo group) were examined. Intervention group received a 50 000-unit vitamin D supplement, one in a fortnight for 8 weeks. Meanwhile, placebo group received placebo. Before and after intervention, Petersburg's Sleep Quality Questionnaire, International Physical Activity Questionnaire, general information questionnaire, sun exposure, vitamin D serum level and 3-day food record questionnaire were assessed and recorded for all participants. To analyze data, t-test, chi square, ANCOVA, U-Mann-Whitney and Wilcoxon statistical tests were used.
Based on the results of the present study, at the end of the study sleep score (PSQI) reduced significantly in vitamin recipients as compared with placebo recipients (P < 0.05). This difference was significant even after modifying confounding variables (P < 0.05).
This study shows that the use of vitamin D supplement improves sleep quality, reduces sleep latency, raises sleep duration and improves subjective sleep quality in people of 20-50 year-old with sleep disorder.
There have actually been
|3564 visitors, last modified 07 Aug, 2023,