Some important information from Christina Kiening German advocate for the Coimbra Protocol who works closely with Dr. Coimbra:
Please remember to keep your Protocol Doctor informed of all medicines (#pharmaceutical, #herbal, #naturopathic, etc) and/or food supplements and #vitamins that you take #parallel to the Coimbra Protocol. There may be harmful #interactions you are unaware of. Even if you have taken a medication for years without side effects before you started the Coimbra Protocol, your Protocol Doctor needs to be informed to make sure it won't cause any #complications when #combined with the Coimbra Protocol.
- 1) In Brazil, there have been cases of #hypercalcemia with the parallel intake of #lithium and high doses of vitamin D.
- 2) In Brazil last Fall, some protocol patients on high-dose Vitamin D took additional Vitamin C as ascorbic acid in daily doses of 1 - 5 gr to fight a cold (they did this on their own terms without consulting their protocol doctor).
Five of them ended up in the hospital within three days of Vitamin C intake with life-threatening kidney failure: They had primary hyperoxaluria and systemic oxalosis which happens because of a genetic disorder (for more details see https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2721506/ Primary hyperoxaluria and systemic oxalosis - 2007
Dr. Coimbra was shocked that this relatively rare SNIP seemed to be common in patients with Vitamin D malabsorption / genetically based inability to convert Vitamin D to its active form. His guess is that these genetic SNIPS are prevalent in combination in patients with autoimmune diseases.
That’s why he asked all patients and doctors worldwide to refrain from Vitamin C intake in form of ascorbic acid above the daily dose of 500 mg. Natural Vitamin C in fruit or greens can and should be consumed in abundance.
Thank you for this great reminder, Christina!!! Please let me know if I misinterpreted any of this information as I don't speak German. : )
It's very important to work closely with your Protocol Doctor on diet, supplement, and medication issues. They are the best ones to answer these specific questions, as they can see your labs and know more about your personal dose and story!
This problem with Vitamin C appears to be very rare
Approximately 9,000 people are on his protocol
Doubtless, many of them have taken Vitamin C as well
The problem only appears to arise if ALL of the following
- High Dose Vitamin D
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin C gene problem
There has been a concern about Kidney stones and Vitamin D in the past
- Overview Kidney Stones and vitamin D
Wonder if the problem was associated with Vitamin C and the gene,
Wonder if Magnesium and Vitamin K2, which reduce Kidney stones would also decrease the problem on this page
- Search web for "kidney stones" "vitamin c" 690,000 Items Sept 2018
2X more likely - not counting for Vitamin D
- Total, Dietary, and Supplemental Vitamin C Intake and Risk of Incident Kidney Stones March 2018
20% more likely for men taking > 1 gram of Vitamin C supplement per day; free PDF online
- Ascorbic Acid Supplements and Kidney Stones Incidence Among Men and Women: A systematic review and meta-analysis Aug 2018
13% more likely for men (not women)