Diabetes: A risk factor is low vitamin D
- Diabetes is 5X more frequent far from the equator
- Children getting 2,000 IU of vitamin D are 8X less likely to get Type 1 diabetes
- Obese people get less sun / Vitamin D - and also vitamin D gets lost in fat
- Sedentary people get less sun / Vitamin D
- Worldwide Diabetes increase has been concurrent with vitamin D decrease and air conditioning
- Elderly get 4X less vitamin D from the same amount of sun
Elderly also spend less time outdoors and have more clothes on
- All items in category Diabetes and Vitamin D
396 items: both Type 1 and Type 2
Vitamin D appears to both prevent and treat diabetes
- Appears that >2,000 IU will Prevent
- Appears that >4,000 IU will Treat , but not cure
- Appears that Calcium and Magnesium are needed for both Prevention and Treatment
which are just some of the vitamin D cofactors
Table of contents
- 90% less T2 Diabetes in group having lots of Vitamin D
- See Diabetes items in VitaminDWiki
- Diabetes AND Infant-Child (a proxie for T1 Diabetes) AND Intervention
- See also Diabetes and Intervention
- See also VitaminDWiki Metabolic Syndrome
- See also VitaminDWiki Calcium
- From Hypponen - 7X less diabetes for children taking 2,000 IU of vitamin D
- Increasing diabetes from CDC Diabetes Report Card 2012
- US miltary: 3.5 X more likely to get type I Diabetes if low vitamin D
- Percentage change in age-adjusted prevalence of diagnosed diabetes among adults aged ?18 years Nov 2012
- See also web
- Diabetes prevented and treated by Curcumin
- BMI and Diabetes Washington Post Aug 2015
- Vitamin D Council
- Diabetes complications (nothing about Vitamin D) - 2016
- Finger blood sugar tests do not help unless using Insulin
- New type of Insulin (GMO) results in increased deaths - Aug 2017
- If diabetic and taking metfomin must check Vitamin B12 levels
- All items in Diabetes and Vitamin D
396 items: both Type 1 and Type 2
- Diabetes 10X less frequent among people getting lots of vitamin D - Aug 2013
- Vitamin D and diabetes mellitus – massive review April 2014
- Vitamin D helps with T2 Diabetes, hyperparathyroidism, PCOS, and some other endocinological diseases – Sept 2014
- 4 percent less type 2 diabetes for every 4 ng more vitamin D – meta-analysis May 2013
- Diabetes prevention RCT kicked off: adding 4,000 IU vitamin D - Oct 2013
- Role of vitamin D in insulin resistance – Sept 2012
- Probability of T2 diabetes increased almost 3X with smoking and low vitamin D – Oct 2010
- T2 diabetes and vitamin D – review Jan 2012
- Reduced chance of diabetes 46 % with Magnesium - Oct 2010 no mention of vitamin D
- Diabetics have problems with low Magnesium , especially if taking statins – Aug 2013
- Normailizing vitamin D levels reduced prediabetic measure by 18 percent – RCT Oct 2012
- Prediabetes progression to diabetes 25 percent less for every 4 ng increase in vitamin D – April 2012
- Diabetes risk reduced 24 % for every 10 ng increase in vitamin D – Mar 2011
- 25 % reduction in diabetes risk if vitamin D great than 30 ng - June 2011
Data suggested 54 % reduction in Diabetes risk when vitamin D levels were > 50 ng/ml
- 90 % of Dark Skinned diabetics had less than 30 ng of vitamin D – July 2011
- 25 ng Vitamin D reduced chance of diabetes by 43 percent -review July 2011
- Diabetes rising quickly in areas with recent air conditioning – June 2011
- Diabetics with darker skin were more vitamin D deficient – May 2012
For ethnic minorities this study has found that low vitamin D==> diabetes etc
rather than the conventional hypothesis: low vitamin D ==> obesity ==> diabetes etc
- Vitamin D level higher than 30 ng reduces diabetic blood clotting – Nov 2012
- Scientific explanation of vitamin D relationship to insulin resistance– Dec 2012
- Type 2 diabetes 1.5X more likely if low vs high vitamin D – meta-analysis Feb 2013
Complex analysis found that people with vitamin D levels >36 ng did not have insulin resistance - PDF is attached at the bottom of this page
- 3X increase Diabetes if low vitamin D AND Arsenic in urine – May 2013
- Mice designed to get diabetes often failed to get diabetes if they had lots of vitamin D during their lives – Feb 2014
- Prediabetes both prevented and treated by Vitamin D, etc.
- Peripheral diabetic neuropathy helped by weekly 50,000 IU vitamin D – Jan 2019
- Diabetic nephropathy (Kidney) treated by 50,000 IU of vitamin D weekly – RCT Jan 2019
- Vitamin D treatment of diabetes (50,000 IU every 2 weeks) augmented by probiotic – RCT June 2018
- Waist size reduced 3 cm by Vitamin D in those with Metabolic Syndrome – Jan 2017
- HbA1c levels (Diabetes) reduced by monthly 50,000 IU of vitamin D – Dec 2017
- Gestational diabetes 30 percent less likely if consumed more than 400 IU of vitamin D daily – Oct 2017
- Vitamin D injection is far better than oral for diabetics (poor gut) – RCT March 2017
- Gestational diabetes treated by Vitamin D plus Omega-3 – RCT Feb 2017
- Diabetes treated if given enough vitamin D (example: 50,000 IU weekly) – review of RCT - Jan 2017
- Gestational Diabetes reduce 3 times by 5,000 IU of Vitamin D – RCT Jan 2016
- Gestational Diabetes treated with 50,000 IU every two weeks – RCT Sept 2016
- Diabetic neuropathy reduced by injection of 600,000 IU of vitamin D – Feb 2016
- Diabetes treated by vitamin D when levels exceeded 61 ng – Sept 2015
- Prediabetes reduced by monthly 60,000 IU of vitamin D – RCT May 2015
- Diabetes decreased in aged mice supplemented with vitamin D – April 2015
- Pain of Diabetic Neuropathy reduced with weekly 50,000 IU vitamin D– CT Feb 2015
- Gestational diabetes – Vitamin D and Calcium provided huge benefits – RCT March 2015
- T1 diabetes in children helped with two doses of 150,000 IU of vitamin D and Calcium – March 2015
- Diabetic hypertension reduced with Vitamin D and Calcium – RCT March 2015
- Gestational diabetes reduced by just two 50,000 IU doses of vitamin D – RCT Nov 2014
- Type 1 diabetes helped with 50,000 IU of vitamin D every two weeks – Nov 2014
- Recent Diabetics treated by supplementation which achieved 60 ng of vitamin D – RCT Sept 2014
- Diabetic inflammation reduced by Calcium and 50,000 IU of vitamin D in 8 weeks – RCT
- Gestational Diabetes reduced with 50,000 IU of vitamin D every 3 weeks and daily Calcium – RCT June 2014
- Gestational Diabetes reduced 40 percent by 5,000 IU of vitamin D – RCT April 2014
- Blood pressure in diabetics reduced by 12 weekly doses of 50,000 IU vitamin D – RCT Jan 2014
- Diabetes (Type II) reduced by single injection of 300,000 IU of vitamin D3 – RCT March 2014
- Prediabetics 60 percent less likely to become diabetic if given some vitamin D – Jan 2014
- Diabetes prevention RCT kicked off: adding 4,000 IU vitamin D - Oct 2013
- 50,000 IU Vitamin D weekly Improves Mood, Lowers Blood Pressure in Type 2 Diabetics – Oct 2013
- Insulin resistance during pregnancy improved with 50,000 IU of vitamin D every 2 weeks – RCT April 2013
- Insulin improvement in obese teens with 4000 IU of vitamin D – RCT Feb 2013
- Insulin resistance helped with 50000 IU of vitamin D weekly – Feb 2013
- Insulin sensitivity in obese adolescents greatly improved with 4000 IU of vitamin D - RCT April 2013
- Prediabetics not helped by 50,000 IU of vitamin D weekly and Calcium– Jan 2013
- 140,000 IU vitamin D monthly reduced probability of diabetes – Nov 2011
- 300,000 IU loading dose of vitamin D3 stopped gestational diabetes in RCT – Oct 2011
- Overview Diabetes and vitamin D
- 4000 IU RCT reduces type 2 diabetes HOMA by 24% and CRP by 64% April 2010
- Metabolic Syndrome adults 4X more likely to have less than 20 ng of vitamin D – Jan 2011
- Metabolic Syndrome and vitamin D - view of many papers Aug 2010
- 70 % increased chance of metabolic syndrome if low on vitamin D – May 2011
- Metabolic syndrome 50 % more likely if under 20 ng of vitamin D – May 2011
- All items in category Metabolic Syndrome and Vitamin D
- Vitamin D with or without Calcium helped glycemic status – Feb 2011
- Metabolic Syndrome reduced 2X after one year of more sunlight – Nov 2011
- Deficiencies of Vitamin D and Calcium – Related Chronic Diseases – 2009
- Good evidence for Diabetes
- Is the Institute of Medicine Report on Calcium and Vitamin D Good Science - Jan 2011
- Strength of evidence for Calcium at NLM – Oct 2010
- Insufficient evidence to rate effectiveness of Calcium for Diabetes. .
CLICK HERE for details
(attached at bottom of this page)
- perhaps associated with decreasing vitamin D, even though the word vitamin does not occur once in the CDC publication
It is amazing that there are so many trials trying to confirm that vitamin D intervention can prevent/treat diabetes,
yet the CDC does not have a single word on Vitamin D in their report card.
from Video by Dr. Gorham Dec 2014
Percentage change in age-adjusted prevalence of diagnosed diabetes among adults aged ?18 years Nov 2012
The figure above shows the percent change in age-adjusted prevalence of diagnosed diabetes among adults aged ?18 years in the United States, during 1995-2010. During 1995-2010, the relative increase in age-adjusted prevalence of diabetes ranged from 8.5% in Puerto Rico to >225% in Oklahoma, with an overall median increase of 82.2%.
The age-adjusted prevalence increased by ?50% in 42 states and by ?100% in 18 states.
States in the South had the largest relative increase in prevalence, with the age-adjusted median increasing >100%.
- INTERVENTION Clinical Trials for Diabetes and Vitamin D 193 trials as of June 2017
- INTERVENTION Clinical Trials for Type 1 Diabetes and Vitamin D 75 trials as of June 2017
- Type 2 Diabetes in Youth: Bad Disease, Big Challenge for Primary Care March 2014
Deaths in the T2DM happen much sooner and 2X more often than for T1DM
- Disease Database has lots of Diabetes information Type I Type II
- International Patent granted In early 2011 for treating Type I diabetes with Vitamin D
- HealthScanBlog Diabetes growing faster than Cancer, Heart Disease, etc.
- A user comment: Type 2 diabetic adults show 40% entero-virus infection; the general non-diabetic rate is 13% infected.
- prevalence of diabetes has risen or at best remained unchanged in virtually every part of the world over the last three decades via Lancet, June 2011
had been 8.3 per cent of men, 9.8 per cent of men = 350 million in 2008
biggest rise appears to be those tropical areas which have gotten air conditioning
- Google Search for diabetes (treatment OR cure) "vitamin d" >22,000,000 hits Nov 2017
- Diabetics at higher risk of tuberculosis infection - May 2011 no surprise, since both are low on vitamin D
- Natural Health 365 on Pre-diabetes July 2012
pre-diabetes = fasting level between 100 and 125mg/dl.
pre-diabetics have a 50 percent higher risk for developing heart disease and stroke vs. non-diabetics.
79 million of US adults have pre-diabetes = 39% increase from 2008.
- CDC Diabetes Statistics for 2011
25.8 million US = 8% have diabetes, Diagnosed: 18.8 million, Undiagnosed: 7.0 million
Age 65 years or older: 10.9 million, or 27%
- CDC Pre-diabetes
1 of every 3 U.S. adults had prediabetes in 2017
If you have prediabetes, you are 5 to15 times more likely to develop type 2 diabetes
- Diabetes 32X more likely if obese and vitamin D deficient – July 2012
Based on NHANES data of 5800 people
Obese & high level of vitamin D: 20X more likely to have diabetes than the study population
- Diet and Exercise RCT did not reduce cardiovascular incidents - 11 year trial stopped NYT Oct 2012
5,000 people overweight/obese type II diabetics
randomly assigned to low calorie diet and 175 minutes of light exercise weekly or not
No mention of vitamin D
- Vitamin D and type 2 diabetes mellitus Dec 2012
we conclude that routine measurement of vitamin D level in every patient or initiating high-dose supplementation for the purpose of preventing or treating T2DM is not evidence based.
Suspect that they did not consider high enough levels of vitamin D - PDF is behind a paywall
- The Extraordinary Science of Addictive Junk Food Mercola March 2013
22.3 million in US have diabetes in 2012, up from 17.5 million in 2007:.American Diabetes Association March 6, 2013
79 million in US also now have pre-diabetes.
Medical expenditures for people with diabetes are 2.3 times higher than for those without diabetes.
- 2X increase in all cause mortality with insulin monotherapy for type II Diabetes Natural News, March 2013
based on The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism Feb 2013
Compared metformin monotherapy, sulfonylurea monotherapy, insulin monotherapy, metformin plus sulfonylurea combination therapy, and insulin plus metformin combination therapy.
- Diabetes Infographic Sept 2013 (nothing about vitamin D)
- Prevalence of vitamin D deficiency in pre-type 1 diabetes and its association with disease progression Feb 2014
Prediabetes is defined as the presence of multiple islet autoantibodies. If and when the disease progresses, however, does not seem to be influenced by the vitamin D levels. Within the group of children with positive autoantibodies, a few children quickly developed type 1 diabetes - however this was independent from their vitamin D levels.
- Relations of vitamin D status, gender and type 2 diabetes in middle-aged Caucasians May 2014
women with < 15 ng/ml were 3X more likely to get or have T2DM
- Full Fat Dairy May Reduce Your Risk of Diabetes and Other Health Problems Mercola Sept 2014
8 portions of full-fat dairy products a day cut their risk of diabetes by nearly 25 %
Women who ate at least one serving of full-fat dairy a day gained 30 % less weight over 9 years
Raw milk is better
- Magnesium Reduces Diabetes Risk by 53% Report on a 2013 study
- Diabetes and Magnesium 2010 mgwater
- Diabetes Ages Your Brain Five Years Faster Than Normal Mercola Dec 2014
Includes information on Vitamin D, Magnesium, Vitamin K2, Omega ratios, exercise, gut bacteria
- Many Schools Failing on Type 1 Diabetes Care NYT Oct 2015
- Increase in Diabetes in selected countries
- "'If Diabetes Was A Country It Would Be The Third Largest Country In The World" - Huffington Post- AU 2016?
- People drinking one can of sugar sweetened soda/day had a 46 % higher risk of developing prediabetes Nov 2016
- New York Times Jan 2017
Lawsuit made Jan 30, 2017 against Sanofi, Novo Nordisk and Eli Lilly. Insulin now costs up to $900/month
- GreenMedInfo Nov 2017
"Diabetes just became the #3 killer in America and the #1 killer in Mexico"
"1 out of 2 Americans ALREADY have diabetes or pre-diabetes."
- Turmeric Extract May Prevent, Even Reverse Diabetes (Type 1 and 2)
Latest of 21 articles on Diabetes and Turmeric in GeenMed Info, Aug 2015,Nothing about vitamin D
- Curcumin stopped conversion of pre-diabetes to diabetes Aug 2013
9 month RCT with 250 mg, Curcumin 0% converted, without Curcumin 16% converted: GreenMedInfo
- Off topic: Curcumin reduces diabetes and many other health problems
BMI and Diabetes Washington Post Aug 2015
Interactive graphics. Black line = US, nothing about vitamin D
About 347 million adults in the world have diabetes, more than twice as many as in 1980.
Diabetes rates in adults since 1980, adjusted for age
- Children with type II diabetes Vitamin D Council Aug 2012
Children with T2 were 3X more likely to be vitamin D deficient than children with T1
Note: only 3,700 children in US are newly diagnosed with with T2 annually
- Type II Vitamin D Council, Jan 2016
9.3% of US adults as of 2014, describes symptoms and risk factors
- Type I diabetes Vitamin D Council Feb 2014
One of their Patient-Friendly guides. Summary points, 7 recent references
- Research has shown that babies with high vitamin D intake during their first year of life are less likely to develop T1D later in life.
- Research has shown that pregnant mothers with high vitamin D levels during pregnancy are less likely to have children that get T1D later in life.
However, this research is less strong compared to vitamin D intake during early childhood and infancy.
- Some research has shown that vitamin D may help improve insulin sensitivity and help manage blood glucose in those with T1D, though we can’t say for sure if vitamin D helps at all in T1D.
- The majority of studies that have been done so far have been observational meaning we cannot say for sure if vitamin D is a main factor in the prevention or treatment of T1D.
- More experiments are needed to clearly answer whether vitamin D supplementation can prevent or treat T1D.
- New study finds vitamin D supplementation suppresses inflammation in patients with type 1 diabetes Sept 2015
Discusses the reasons that lack of sunlight (vitamin D) is one of the risk factors for T1D
"The incidence of T1D has been increasing by about 3% per year for the last 40 years"
Skin Complications, Eye complications, Neuropathy, Foot Complications
Ketoacidosis & Ketones, Kidney Disease (Nephropathy)
High Blood Pressure (Hypertension), Stroke
Hyperosmolar Hyperglycemic Nonketotic syndrom (HHNS)
Gastroparesis. Heart Diseases, Mental Health, Pregnancy
Download the PDF from VitaminDWiki
- "Blood glucose testing does not offer a significant advantage in blood sugar control or quality of life for patients with type 2 diabetes who are not treated with insulin, according to a study published online by JAMA Internal Medicine."
- "In the MONITOR trial, 450 patients were assigned to no blood sugar monitoring, once daily glucose monitoring, or enhanced once-daily glucose monitoring with an internet-delivered tailored message of encouragement or instruction for 1 year."
- "Results showed no significant differences in blood glucose control across the 3 groups. There were no significant differences in health-related quality of life or for hypoglycaemia, hospitalisations, and emergency room visits."
- "There was also no difference in the number of individuals who had to start using insulin treatment to better control blood glucose levels."
GMO Insulin Increases Morbidity and Mortality in Type 2 Diabetics GreenMedInfo
The GMO forms have a different struction and 4X as much of GMO form is needed to get the same benefit
- # of references at GreenMedInfo for other diabetic treatments: ginger (37), spirulina (38), and black cumin seed (39), nutraceuticals such as L-arginine (40), vitamin C (41), magnesium (42), omega-3 fatty acids (43), and vitamin D (43), and both high intensity interval training (44) and aerobic exercise (45)