Source: Journal of Clinical & Diagnostic Research . Nov 2017, Vol. 11 Issue 11, p31-34. 4p.
Author(s): Khanna, Sunali Sundeep; Parulekar, Nikhil R.; Dhaimade, Prita Abhay
TMJ pain has been associated with low vitamin D in many studies
- Overlap between Fibromyalgia and other Chronic Pains – 2012
23% overlap of TMJ with Fibromyalgia
Pain - chronic category has the following
- Overview Pain and Vitamin D
- Overview Fibromyalgia or Chronic Fatigue and vitamin D
- Overview Rheumatoid Arthritis and vitamin D
- Shingles and vitamin D
- Shin splints decrease with vitamin D
- Migraine and Vitamin D
- Headache category
- "musculoskeletal pain" 374 items as of March 2018
- "chronic fatigue" 185 items as of Jan 2017
- Category Back Pain
- "KNEE PAIN" 121 items as of March 2018
Medical and dental community do not appear to have found a treatment for TMD which consistently works. Generally just wait for a few years and it will go away
- 7 Essential Dietary Supplements to Help Your TMJ
Omega-3, Vitamin D, Turmeric, Magnesium, Vitamin C, Glucosamine
- Should patients take vitamin D before mandibular operations? Oct 2017
Yes - PDF costs $36
- Prevalence of TMJD and Its Signs and Symptoms 2014
"The prevalence of temporomandibular joint and muscle disorder (TMJD) is between 5% and 12%"
Mainly younger women - nice table summarizing 8 studies in 1993-2007
- Prevalence of Symptoms of Temporomandibular Joint Disorder in Lattakia-Syria Nov 2015
excellent free article, includes questionaire details
- Management and Treatment of Temporomandibular Disorders: A Clinical Perspective 2009
"A temporomandibular disorder (TMD) is a very common problem affecting up to 33% of individuals within their lifetime. " Free PDF online
- TMD TREATMENTS TMJ organization
"Most people with TMD have relatively mild or periodic symptoms which may improve on their own within weeks or months with simple home therapy. Self-care practices, such as eating soft foods, applying ice or moist heat, and avoiding extreme jaw movements (such as wide yawning, loud singing, and gum chewing) are helpful in easing symptoms. "
- Primary treatment of temporomandibular disorders: The Japanese Society for the temporomandibular joint evidence-based clinical practice guidelines, 2nd edition Aug 2013, free PDF online
- The Detection and Management of Temporomandibular Disorders in Primary Dental Care Has following chart of TMD in Seattle - date unknown
- Trends in the prevalence of diagnosed temporomandibular disorder from 2004 to 2013 using a Nationwide health insurance database in Taiwan Sept 2017
- Association Between Harmful Oral Habits and Sign and Symptoms of Temporomandibular Joint Disorders Among Adolescents Aug 2015. free PDF online
Gender TMJ Controls Female 17 ng 37 ng Male 17 ng 38 ng
Introduction: A significant correlation has been established between the pain and/or discomfort of Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) and the various Activities of Daily Living (ADL). TMJ pain and/or discomfort have a significant negative impact on the daily activities and life of an individual. Although complex interplay of multifactorial causes accounts for temporomandibular disorders, bone markers like serum vitamin D are a reliable qualitative and quantitative tool to asses bone metabolism and health.
Aim: To investigate the association between TMJ pain and discomfort in the ADL and to ascertain the relationship between serum vitamin D 25(OH)D levels and pain and discomfort with respect to TMJ during the ADL amongst controls and vitamin D deficiency patients in an Indian hospital based population in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
Materials and Methods: The study included 100 adult patients reporting to the department of oral medicine and radiology on outpatient basis, who were divided into two groups (samples and controls) based on their serum 25(OH)D levels, the cut-off being 30 nmol/L. The effect of vitamin D levels on the activities of daily living were assessed using the scale by List and Helkimo. Variables were evaluated for statistical differences between male and female groups with AnOVA test. Significance of correlation was tested using Spearman rank correlation coefficient. A level of significance of 0.05 was considered to be significant.
Results: In the study it was found that the serum vitamin D levels in female participants was lower than the male participants. The experience of TMJ pain and discomfort significantly impacts the activities of daily living in both sexes based on the rating scale elaborated in medical and behavioral science and modified by List and Helkimo. The study also shows that the pain/discomfort associated with TMJ has a significant negative influence on the social life, daily activities and also the psychological status of the individual.
Conclusion: Vitamin D deficiency is significantly associated with tempormandibular pain, which can have adverse effects on the comfort and ADL of the patient.Jaw joint pain (Temporomandibular) is associated with low vitamin D in young adults – Nov 2017
4915 visitors, last modified 16 Dec, 2017,This page is in the following categories (# of items in each category)Pain - chronic 138
ID Name Comment Uploaded Size Downloads 8948 Harmfull habits.jpg admin 16 Dec, 2017 19:21 47.28 Kb 3933 8947 TMD youths.jpg admin 16 Dec, 2017 19:21 44.84 Kb 3991 8946 TMD prevelence.jpg admin 16 Dec, 2017 19:15 15.56 Kb 3827 8945 TMD 6 month.jpg admin 16 Dec, 2017 19:03 16.19 Kb 3889 8944 Temporomandibular Joint.pdf PDF 2017 admin 16 Dec, 2017 10:16 215.12 Kb 1630
Search For a Page