Anticancer Agents Med Chem. 2019 Mar 12. doi: 10.2174/1389557519666190312123212
Câmara AB1, Brandãob IA2.
- 1 Department of Biophysics and Pharmacology, Bioscience Center, Federal University of Rio Grande do Norte, 59064-741, Natal/RN. Brazil.
- 2 Metrópole Digital Institute, Federal University of Rio Grande do Norte, 59078-970, Natal/RN. Brazil.
- Getting little UV is associated with 15 types of Cancer – Jan 2012
- Breast Cancer vs latitude
- Esophageal Cancer 40 percent less likely in parts of UK with more sun (vitamin D) – Feb 2018
- Non-melanoma skin cancer varies with latitude, melanoma does not – April 2017
- Less Leukemia where there is more UVB (Vitamin D, 172 countries) – Dec 2015
- Why has the MS latitude gradient disappeared – Oct 2011
- MS is related to latitude – conclusion from 321 studies – April 2011
- Multiple Sclerosis incidence varies with latitude (noted in Brazil too) – Nov 2015
- Many diseases increase with latitude (low UV, Vitamin D)
- People who get little noon-day sun must supplement with Vitamin D – systematic review June 2017
- Headaches vary with latitude and season and perhaps vitamin D as well -May 2010
- Many autoimmune diseases associated with latitude and vitamin D receptor – March 2016
- Rheumatoid Arthritis associated with lower vitamin D and higher latitude – meta-analysis Jan 2016
- Crohn’s disease associated with vitamin D and latitude – meta-analysis Dec 2015
- Autism and Vitamin D massive review – latitude, season, migration, VitD levels and intervention – April 2016
- Dementia risk increases with latitude (less vitamin D) - Feb 2015
- Mortality varies with latitude in the UK – Feb 2011
- Vitamin D varies with latitude
- Diabetes vs latitude
BACKGROUND: Vitamin D (VD) deficiency affects individuals of different ages in many countries. VD deficiency may be related to several diseases, including cancer.
OBJECTIVE: This study aimed to review the relationship between VD deficiency and cancer.
METHOD: We describe the proteins involved in cancer pathogenesis and how those proteins can be influenced by VD deficiency. We also investigated a relationship between cancer death rate and solar radiation.
We found an increased
- bladder cancer,
- breast cancer,
- colon-rectum cancer,
- lung cancer,
- oesophagus cancer,
- oral cancer,
- ovary cancer,
- pancreas cancer,
- skin cancer and
- stomach cancer
death rate in countries with low sunlight. It was also observed that amyloid precursor protein, ryanodine receptor, mammalian target of rapamycin complex 1, and receptor for advanced glycation end products are associated with a worse prognosis in cancer. While the Klotho protein and VD receptor are associated with a better prognosis in the disease. Nfr2 is associated with both worse and better prognosis in cancer.
The literature suggests that VD deficiency might be involved in cancer progression. According to sunlight data, we can conclude that countries with low average sunlight have high cancers death rate. New studies involving transcriptional and genomic data in combination with VD measurement in longterm experiments is required to establish new relationships between VD and cancer.