Vitamin D deficiency in head and neck cancer patients - prevalence, prognostic value and impact on immune function.
Oncoimmunology. 2018 Jul 23;7(9):e1476817. doi: 10.1080/2162402X.2018.1476817. eCollection 2018.
Bochen F1, Balensiefer B1, Körner S1, Bittenbring JT2, Neumann F2, Koch A3, Bumm K4, Marx A1, Wemmert S1, Papaspyrou G1, Zuschlag D1, Kühn JP1, Al Kadah B1, Schick B1, Linxweiler M1.
1 Dept of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Saarland University Medical Center, Homburg, Germany.
2 Dept of Hematology, Oncology, Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology, Saarland University Medical Center, Homburg, Germany.
3 Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Zitha Hospital, Luxemburg-City, Luxemburg.
4 Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Caritas Hospital, Saarbrücken, Germany.
- 500 Head and neck cancers – higher survival if higher vitamin D – Nov 2016
- Head and Neck Cancer associated with low vitamin D, especially with blacks - April 2012
Cancer category starts with the following
260 items Overview Cancer and vitamin D
- Cancer and Vitamin D - many studies
- After Cancer Diagnosis
- Bladder Cancer
- Breast Cancer
245 items Overview Breast Cancer and Vitamin D
- Colon Cancer
136 items Overview Cancer-Colon and vitamin D
- Liver Cancer
- Lung Cancer
53 items Overview Lung cancer and vitamin D
- Lymphoma Cancer
- Other Cancer
- Ovarian Cancer
- Pancreatic Cancer
- Prostate Cancer
97 items Overview Prostate Cancer and Vitamin D
- Skin Cancer
117 items Overview Suntan, melanoma and vitamin D
- Easiest way to treat cancer – take Vitamin D – Nov 2022
- 2X increase of 14 cancers in non-seniors in 20 years (low vitamin D) – Sept 2022
- Vitamin D prevents and treats cancer in many ways – May 2021
- Those with recent cancer diagnosis had 7X increased risk of COVID-19 (more if A-A )- Dec 2020
- Deaths from many types of Cancer associated with low vitamin D- review of meta-analyses Sept 2020
- Cancer incidence and mortality is decreased if 40-60 ng of Vitamin D – April 2019
- 8 ways that Cancer might be prevented by Vitamin D - June 2019
- Cancer stem cells and Vitamin D - many studies
- Vitamin D Reduces Cancer Risk - Why Scientists Accept It but Physicians Do Not - Feb 2019
- Overview of Vitamin D Actions in Cancer – 31 page chapter in a book – 2018
- Vitamin D prevents breast cancer, reduces BC mortality, and reduces BC chemotherapy problems – Sept 2018
- Diagnosed with breast cancer – take vitamin D to cut chance of death by half – July 2018
- Melanoma 25 X more likely if low vitamin D – Feb 2018
- Better Cancer survival if higher vitamin D a decade earlier (esp. Melanoma, Kidney, Prostate)– Aug 2018
Cancers get less Vitamin D when there is a poor Vitamin D Receptor
- Vitamin D Receptor pages in VitaminDWiki with CANCER in title 80 as of Nov 2022
- Cancer and the Vitamin D Receptor, a primer – Sept 2017
- Vitamin D Receptor and Cancer
- Risk of Cancer increased if poor Vitamin D Receptor – meta-analysis of 73 studies Jan 2016
- Cancer (general) and VDR
- Breast Cancer and VDR
- Colon Cancer and VDR
- Prostate Cancer and VDR
- Skin Cancer and VDR
- Note some Health problems, such as some Cancers, protect themselves
by actively reducing Receptor activation
PDF is available free at Sci-Hub 10.1080/2162402X.2018.1476817
Vitamin D deficiency is frequently observed in human cancer patients and a prognostic relevance could be shown for some entities. Additionally, it is known that vitamin D can stimulate the patients' antitumor immunity. However, valid epidemiological data for head and neck squamous cell carcinoma (HNSCC) patients are sparse and functional studies on a possible connection between vitamin D and the patients' immune system are missing. 25-OH vitamin D serum levels were analyzed in 231 HNSCC patients and 232 healthy controls and correlated with clinical data and patient survival. Intra- and peritumoral infiltration with T-cell, NK-cell and macrophage populations was analyzed in 102 HNSCC patients by immunohistochemistry. In 11 HNSCC patients, NK-cells were isolated before and after vitamin D substitution and analyzed for their cytotoxic activity directed against a HNSCC cell line. Vitamin D serum levels were significantly lower in HNSCC patients compared with healthy controls.
Low vitamin D levels were associated with lymphatic metastasis and a negative HPV status and were a significant predictor of poor overall survival.
HNSCC patients with severe vitamin D deficiency showed significantly altered intra- and peritumoral immune cell infiltrate levels.
After vitamin D substitution, the patients' NK cells showed a significant rise in cytotoxic activity. Taken together, we could show that Vitamin D deficiency is highly prevalent in HNSCC patients and is a predictor of poor survival. Vitamin D substitution used as an adjuvant in immune therapies such as cetuximab and nivolumab treatment could support antitumorigenic immune responses, thus contributing to the improvement of the patients' prognosis in the context of a multimodal therapy.Head and Neck cancer associated with low vitamin D, adding Vitamin D to cancer cells looks promising – July 2018
2804 visitors, last modified 20 Sep, 2018,This page is in the following categories (# of items in each category)
- Breast Cancer and VDR