A single mega dose of vitamin D3 improves selected physical variables in vitamin D-deficient young amateur soccer players: a randomized controlled trial
Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism, May 2020, 45(5): 478-485, https://doi.org/10.1139/apnm-2019-0525
Ikram Bezrati,ab Mohamed Kacem Ben Fradj,a Raouf Hammami,*b Nejmeddine Ouerghi,*c Johnny Padulo,d Moncef Fekia
Overview Sports and vitamin D has the following summary
Athletes are helped by vitamin D by:
- Faster reaction time
- Far fewer colds/flus during the winter
- Less sore/tired after a workout
- Fewer micro-cracks and broken bones
- Bones which do break heal much more quickly
- Increased VO2 and exercise endurance Feb 2011
- Indoor athletes especially need vitamin D
- Professional indoor athletes are starting to take vitamin D and/or use UV beds
- Olympic athletes have used UV/vitamin D since the 1930's
- The biggest gain from the use of vitamin D is by those who exercise less than 2 hours per day.
- Reduced muscle fatigue with 10,000 IU vitamin D daily
- Muscle strength improved when vitamin D added: 3 Meta-analysis
- Reduced Concussions
See also: Sports and Vitamin D category
Sports category starts with
231 items in Sports category
Sports benefits from up to 50 ng (click on chart for details)
Overview Sports and vitamin D Concussions
Military Muscle Overview Fractures and vitamin D
Vitamin D supplementation increases strength of lower muscles – Meta-analysis April 2019
Athletes helped by weekly 50,000 IU Vitamin D – RCT Aug 2019
Many Foot and ankle problems are treated by Vitamin D – review of 35 studies – Sept 2019
Vitamin D provides faster recovery after muscle overuse – April 2013
NCAA trainers are getting on board the Vitamin D train (40-50 ng)– Nov 2019
Note: Not much left of a loading dose at 12 weeks
Probably vitamin D levels were > 30 - which can build muscle for most of the trial
Probably a monthly 100,000 IU dose would have produced even more benefit
This randomized controlled trial aimed to test whether vitamin D (VD) supplementation affects measures of physical performance in VD-deficient, mildly trained children. Thirty-six recreationally soccer player boys were randomly assigned to single dose (200 000 IU) of VD3 (n = 19) or placebo (n = 17). Plasma 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25-OHD) was assessed and measures of physical performance (i.e., vertical and standing broad jumps, triple hop, 10-m and 30-m sprints, shuttle run) were performed before and 12 weeks after the loading dose. Mixed ANCOVA models were performed and effect size was estimated by partial eta squared (ηp2). Baseline 25-OHD and physical variables were equivalent in the 2 groups. Twelve weeks after VD loading, plasma 25-OHD increased and physical variables improved only in the VD group. There was a significant interaction effects for group by time for vertical jump (F = 14.9, p = 0.001, ηp2 = 0.394), triple hop jump (F = 24.2, p < 0.001, ηp2 = 0.513), 10-m (F = 4.46, p = 0.046, ηp2 = 0.162) and 30-m (F = 6.56, p = 0.017, ηp2 = 0.222) sprints, and shuttle run (F = 13.4, p = 0.001, ηp2 = 0.369).
In conclusion, a single bolus of VD3 resulted in significant improvements in jumping ability, agility, and running speed in mildly trained children that are deficient in VD. The findings suggest that correcting VD deficit might be beneficial for physical performance.
Child soccer players who were deficient were helped by a single 200,000 IU vitamin D dose – RCT May 2020
- Al-Said YA, Al-Rached HS, Al-Qahtani HA, Jan MM. 2009. Severe proximal myopathy with remarkable recovery after vitamin D treatment. Can. J. Neurol. Sci. 36(3): 336-339 Crossref, Medline, ISI, Google Scholar.
- Armas LA, Hollis BW, Heaney RP. 2004. Vitamin D2 is much less effective than vitamin D3 in humans. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 89(11): 5387-5391 Crossref, Medline, ISI, Google Scholar.
- Barbé C, Kalista S, Loumaye A, Ritvos O, Lause P, Ferracin B, Thissen JP. 2015. Role of IGF-I in follistatin-induced skeletal muscle hypertrophy. Am. J. Physiol. Endocrinol. Metab. 309(6): E557-E567 Crossref, Medline, ISI, Google Scholar.
- Barker T, Schneider ED, Dixon BM, Henriksen VT, Weaver LK. 2013. Supplemental vitamin D enhances the recovery in peak isometric force shortly after intense exercise. Nutr. Metab. (Lond.) 10(1): 69 Crossref, Medline, Google Scholar.
- Bartoszewska M, Kamboj M, Patel DR. 2010. Vitamin D, muscle function, and exercise performance. Pediatr. Clin. N. Am. 57(3): 849-861 Crossref, Medline, ISI, Google Scholar.
- Berchtold MW, Brinkmeier H, Müntener M. 2000. Calcium ion in skeletal muscle: its crucial role for muscle function, plasticity, and disease. Physiol. Rev. 80(3): 1215-1265 Crossref, Medline, ISI, Google Scholar.
- Bezrati I, Ben Fradj MK, Ouerghi N, Feki M, Chaouachi A, Kaabachi N. 2016a. Vitamin D inadequacy is widespread in Tunisian active boys and is related to diet but not to adiposity or insulin resistance. Libyan J. Med. 11: 31258 Crossref, Medline, ISI, Google Scholar.
- Bezrati I, Hammami R, Ben Fradj MK, Martone D, Padulo J, Feki M, et al. 2016b. Association of plasma 25-hydroxyvitamin D with physical performance in physically active children. Appl. Physiol. Nutr. Metab. 41(11): 1124-1128 Link, ISI, Google Scholar. Abstract
- Boland RL. 2011. VDR activation of intracellular signalling pathways in skeletal muscle. Mol. Cell. Endocrinol. 347(1–2): 11-16 Crossref, Medline, ISI, Google Scholar.
- Ceglia L. 2008. Vitamin D and skeletal muscle tissue and function. Mol. Aspects Med. 29(6): 407-414 Crossref, Medline, ISI, Google Scholar.
- Ceglia L, Niramitmahapanya S, da Silva Morais M, Rivas DA, Harris SS, Bischoff-Ferrari H, et al. 2013. A randomized study on the effect of vitamin D3 supplementation on skeletal muscle morphology and vitamin D receptor concentration in older women. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 98(12): E1927-E1935 Crossref, Medline, ISI, Google Scholar.
- Close GL, Leckey J, Patterson M, Bradley W, Owens DJ, Fraser WD, Morton JP. 2013a. The effects of vitamin D(3) supplementation on serum total 25(OH)D concentration and physical performance: a randomised dose-response study. Br. J. Sports Med. 47(11): 692-696 Crossref, Medline, ISI, Google Scholar.
- Close GL, Russell J, Cobley JN, Owens DJ, Wilson G, Gregson W, et al. 2013b. Assessment of vitamin D concentration in non-supplemented professional athletes and healthy adults during the winter months in the UK: implications for skeletal muscle function. J. Sports Sci. 31(4): 344-353 Crossref, Medline, ISI, Google Scholar.
- Cohen J. 1973. Eta-squared and partial eta-squared in fixed factor ANOVA designs. Educ. Psychol. Meas. 33: 107-112 Crossref, ISI, Google Scholar.
- Dahlquist DT, Dieter BP, Koehle MS. 2015. Plausible ergogenic effects of vitamin D on athletic performance and recovery. J. Int. Soc. Sports Nutr. 12: 33 Crossref, Medline, ISI, Google Scholar.
- Dawson-Hughes B, Harris SS, Ceglia L, Palermo NJ. 2014. Effect of supplemental vitamin D and calcium on serum sclerostin levels. Eur. J. Endocrinol. 170(4): 645-650 Crossref, Medline, ISI, Google Scholar.
- de Boland AR, Boland RL. 1993. 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D-3 induces arachidonate mobilization in embryonic chick myoblasts. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1179(1): 98-104 Crossref, Medline, Google Scholar.
- Dubnov-Raz G, Livne N, Raz R, Rogel D, Cohen AH, Constantini NW. 2014. Vitamin D concentrations and physical performance in competitive adolescent swimmers. Pediatr. Exerc. Sci. 26(1): 64-70 Crossref, Medline, ISI, Google Scholar.
- El-Hajj Fuleihan G, Nabulsi M, Tamim H, Maalouf J, Salamoun M, Khalife H, et al. 2006. Effect of vitamin D replacement on musculoskeletal parameters in school children: a randomized controlled trial. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 91(2): 405-412 Crossref, Medline, ISI, Google Scholar.
- Endo I, Inoue D, Mitsui T, Umaki Y, Akaike M, Yoshizawa T, et al. 2003. Deletion of vitamin D receptor gene in mice results in abnormal skeletal muscle development with deregulated expression of myoregulatory transcription factors. Endocrinology 144(12): 5138-5144 Crossref, Medline, ISI, Google Scholar.
- Fairbairn KA, Ceelen IJM, Skeaff CM, Cameron CM, Perry TL. 2018. Vitamin D3 supplementation does not improve sprint performance in professional rugby players: a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind intervention study. Int. J. Sport. Nutr. Exerc. Metab. 28(1): 1-9 Crossref, Medline, ISI, Google Scholar.
- Garcia LA, Ferrini MG, Norris KC, Artaza JN. 2013. 1,25(OH)(2)vitamin D(3) enhances myogenic differentiation by modulating the expression of key angiogenic growth factors and angiogenic inhibitors in C(2)C(12) skeletal muscle cells. J. Steroid Biochem. Mol. Biol. 133: 1-11 Crossref, Medline, ISI, Google Scholar.
- Girgis CM, Clifton-Bligh RJ, Hamrick MW, Holick MF, Gunton JE. 2013. The roles of vitamin D in skeletal muscle: form, function, and metabolism. Endocr. Rev. 34(1): 33-83 Crossref, Medline, ISI, Google Scholar.
- Girgis CM, Clifton-Bligh RJ, Mokbel N, Cheng K, Gunton JE. 2014. Vitamin D signaling regulates proliferation, differentiation and myotube size in C2C12 skeletal muscle cells. Endocrinology 155(2): 347-357 Crossref, Medline, ISI, Google Scholar.
- Gunton JE, Girgis CM, Baldock PA, Lips P. 2015. Bone muscle interactions and vitamin D. Bone 80: 89-94 Crossref, Medline, ISI, Google Scholar.
- Hamilton B, Whiteley R, Farooq A, Chalabi H. 2014. Vitamin D concentration in 342 professional football players and association with lower limb isokinetic function. J. Sci. Med. Sport 17(1): 139-143 Crossref, Medline, ISI, Google Scholar.
- Huhtakangas JA, Olivera CJ, Bishop JE, Zanello LP, Norman AW. 2004. The vitamin D receptor is present in caveolae-enriched plasma membranes and binds 1 α,25(OH)2-vitamin D3 in vivo and in vitro. Mol. Endocrinol. 18(11): 2660-2671 Crossref, Medline, Google Scholar.
- Jastrzębska M, Kaczmarczyk M, Jastrzębski Z. 2016. Effect of vitamin D supplementation on training adaptation in well-trained soccer players. J. Strength Cond. Res. 30(9): 2648-2655 Crossref, Medline, ISI, Google Scholar.
- Jastrzębska M, Kaczmarczyk M, Michalczyk M, Radzimiński Ł, Stępień P, Jastrzębska J, et al. 2018. Can supplementation of vitamin D improve aerobic capacity in well trained youth soccer players? J. Hum. Kinet. 61: 63-72 Crossref, Medline, ISI, Google Scholar.
- Jung HC, Seo MW, Lee S, Jung SW, Song JK. 2018. Correcting vitamin D insufficiency improves some, but not all aspects of physical performance during winter training in Taekwondo athletes. Int. J. Sport Nutr. Exerc. Metab. 28(6): 635-643 Crossref, Medline, ISI, Google Scholar.
- Koundourakis NE, Androulakis NE, Malliaraki N, Margioris AN. 2014. Vitamin D and exercise performance in professional soccer players. PLoS ONE 9(7): e101659 Crossref, Medline, ISI, Google Scholar.
- Koundourakis NE, Avgoustinaki PD, Malliaraki N, Margioris AN. 2016. Muscular effects of vitamin D in young athletes and non-athletes and in the elderly. Hormones (Athens) 15(4): 471-488 Crossref, Medline, Google Scholar.
- Lee SJ, McPherron AC. 2001. Regulation of myostatin activity and muscle growth. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 98(16): 9306-9311 Crossref, Medline, ISI, Google Scholar.
- Mallet E, Philippe F, Castanet M, Basuyau JP. 2010. Administration of a single winter oral dose of 200,000 IU of vitamin D3 in adolescents in Normandy: evaluation of the safety and vitamin D status obtained. Arch. Pediatr. 17(7): 1042-1046 Crossref, Medline, ISI, Google Scholar.
- Mirwald RL, Baxter-Jones AD, Bailey DA, Beunen GP. 2002. An assessment of maturity from anthropometric measurements. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. 34(4): 689-694 Crossref, Medline, ISI, Google Scholar.
- Nieman DC, Gillitt ND, Shanely RA, Dew D, Meaney MP, Luo B. 2013. Vitamin D2 supplementation amplifies eccentric exercise-induced muscle damage in NASCAR pit crew athletes. Nutrients 6(1): 63-75 Crossref, Medline, ISI, Google Scholar.
- Owens DJ, Webber D, Impey SG, Tang J, Donovan TF, Fraser WD, et al. 2014. Vitamin D supplementation does not improve human skeletal muscle contractile properties in insufficient young males. Eur. J. Appl. Physiol. 114(6): 1309-1320 Crossref, Medline, ISI, Google Scholar.
- Pojednic RM, Ceglia L. 2014. The emerging biomolecular role of vitamin D in skeletal muscle. Exerc. Sport Sci. Rev. 42(2): 76-81 Crossref, Medline, ISI, Google Scholar.
- Ryan ZC, Craig TA, Folmes CD, Wang X, Lanza IR, Schaible NS, et al. 2016. 1α,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 regulates mitochondrial oxygen consumption and dynamics in human skeletal muscle cells. J. Biol. Chem. 291(3): 1514-1528 Crossref, Medline, ISI, Google Scholar.
- Saggese G, Vierucci F, Boot AM, Czech-Kowalska J, Weber G, Camargo CA, et al. 2015. Vitamin D in childhood and adolescence: an expert position statement. Eur. J. Pediatr. 174(5): 565-576 Crossref, Medline, ISI, Google Scholar.
- Schubert L, DeLuca HF. 2010. Hypophosphatemia is responsible for skeletal muscle weakness of vitamin D deficiency. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 500(2): 157-161 Crossref, Medline, ISI, Google Scholar.
- Shanely RA, Nieman DC, Knab AM, Gillitt ND, Meaney MP, Jin F, et al. 2014. Influence of vitamin D mushroom powder supplementation on exercise-induced muscle damage in vitamin D insufficient high school athletes. J. Sports Sci. 32(7): 670-679 Crossref, Medline, ISI, Google Scholar.
- Shepherd D, Day AS, Leach ST, Lopez R, Messenger R, Woodhead HJ, et al. 2015. Single high-dose oral vitamin d3 therapy (Stoss): A solution to vitamin d deficiency in children with inflammatory bowel disease? J. Pediatr. Gastroenterol. Nutr. 61(4): 411-414 Crossref, Medline, ISI, Google Scholar.
- Sinha A, Hollingsworth KG, Ball S, Cheetham T. 2013. Improving the vitamin D status of vitamin D deficient adults is associated with improved mitochondrial oxidative function in skeletal muscle. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 98(3): E509-E513 Crossref, Medline, ISI, Google Scholar.
- Sink, C.A., and Mvududu, N.H. 2010. Statistical power, sampling, and effect sizes: three keys to research relevancy. counselling outcome research and evaluation. Available from https://journals.sagepub.com. Accessed 15 October 2018. Google Scholar
- Slaughter MH, Lohman TG, Boileau RA, Horswill CA, Stillman RG, Vanloan MD, Bemben DA. 1988. Skinfold equation for estimation of body fatness in children and youth. Hum. Biol. 60: 709-723 Medline, ISI, Google Scholar.
- Todd JJ, McSorley EM, Pourshahidi LK, Madigan SM, Laird E, Healy M, Magee PJ. 2017. Vitamin D3 supplementation using an oral spray solution resolves deficiency but has no effect on VO2 max in Gaelic footballers: results from a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Eur. J. Nutr. 56(4): 1577-1587 Crossref, Medline, ISI, Google Scholar.
- van der Meijden K, Bravenboer N, Dirks NF, Heijboer AC, den Heijer M, de Wit GM, et al. 2016. Effects of 1,25(OH)2 D3 and 25(OH)D3 on C2C12 myoblast proliferation, differentiation, and myotube hypertrophy. J. Cell. Physiol. 231(11): 2517-2528 Crossref, Medline, ISI, Google Scholar.
- Ward KA, Das G, Berry JL, Roberts SA, Rawer R, Adams JE, Mughal Z. 2009. Vitamin D status and muscle function in post-menarchal adolescent girls. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 94(2): 559-563 Crossref, Medline, ISI, Google Scholar.
- WHO. Global Strategy on Diet, Physical Activity and Health: Childhood Overweight and Obesity. Available from http://www.who.int/dietphysicalactivity/childhood/en/(2012). Accessed 6 February 2019. Google Scholar
- Wyon MA, Koutedakis Y, Wolman R, Nevill AM, Allen N. 2014. The influence of winter vitamin D supplementation on muscle function and injury occurrence in elite ballet dancers: a controlled study. J. Sci. Med. Sport 17(1): 8-12 Crossref, Medline, ISI, Google Scholar.
- Wyon MA, Wolman R, Nevill AM, Cloak R, Metsios GS, Gould D, et al. 2016. Acute effects of vitamin D3 supplementation on muscle strength in judoka athletes: a randomized placebo-controlled, double-blind trial. Clin. J. Sports Med. 26(4): 279-284 Crossref, Medline, ISI, Google Scholar.
- Zhou QG, Hou FF, Guo ZJ, Liang M, Wang GB, Zhang X. 2008. 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D improved the free fatty-acid-induced insulin resistance in cultured C2C12 cells. Diabetes Metab. Res. Rev. 24(6): 459-464 Crossref, Medline, ISI, Google Scholar.
471 visitors, last modified 19 Jul, 2020,This page is in the following categories (# of items in each category)Sports and Vitamin D 231 Loading dose for Vitamin D 152 Infant-Child 604