See also categories
- Tests for Vitamin D
- Forms of Vitamin D
95 itemsDid you know?
Calcidiol = 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 = 25(OH)D = Calcifediol (Wikipedia)
- Calcidiol is semi-activated Vitamin D
- Semi-activation is accomplished by enzymes: CYP2A1 in liver and/or CYP2R1 in cells
- Calcidiol is also available as a drug, an herb, and from eggs and meat
- Calcidiol become fully activated into Calcitriol by CYP27B1 enzymes in Kidney and/or tissues
(More Calcidiol info below this box)
Learn how Vitamin D is essential for good healthIs 50ng enough? How to restore levels quickly
Watch a 5 minute video "Does Less Sun Mean more Disease?"
Browse for other Health Problems and D in left column or here
see also Supplementing and More in the menu at the top of every page
If you have a disease associated with low Vit D take Vit D
Raising your Vit D levels will substantially prevent other low-Vit D health problems
Proof that Vitamin D Works Getting Vitamin D into your body
Books and Videos
199 Diseases which are related due to vitamin D deficiency
Reasons for low response to vitamin D Why are doctors reluctant
Cancer studies include: Breast
227 Colon 123 Lung 50 Prostate 95 Pancreatic 55 Skin 111
Colds and flu Dark Skin
439 Diabetes 479 Obesity 371 Pregnancy 782 Seniors 362
COVID-19 treated by Vitamin D - studies, reports, videos
Getting Vitamin D into your body has the following chart^^Search for items in this category:
- wiki page:
- Vitamin D trial for COVID-19 – using their patented slow-release form – Aug 2021
- Calcifediol (Calcidiol) is far less cost-effective and available than Vitamin D – RCT June 2021
- COVID-19 death 40 percent less likely if supplemented with Vitamin D and got above 30 ng (Spain 108,000 people) – July 2021
- Calcidiol (Calcifediol, ampli-D) approved as food supplement by EFSA – (10 micrograms per day) – July 2021
- 7X less likely to go to ICU if COVID-19 ward gave calcifediol (semi-activated Vitamin D) – July 2021
- Calcifediol is superior to cholecalciferol (it mainly acts faster) – RCT June 2021
- Need 3X more Vitamin D (or take semi-activated vitamin D) if have poor gut – small RCT May 2021
- Calcidiol increased blood levels of Vitamin D in one month (dogs) – Feb 2021
- Cows gave more milk after pregancy if given Calcidiol (semi-activated Vitamin D) – RCT March 2021
- 5X less likely to enter ICU with COVID-19 if get Calcifediol (semi-activated vitamin D) - RCT Feb 19, 2021
- Response to weekly Calcifediol in 4 months - RCT Aug 2022
- Weekly response to semi-activated vitamin D slightly better than standard – RCT Nov 2019
- Fast-acting vitamin D to be produced for humans (not just animals) – Jan 2021
- Semi-activated Vitamin D given weekly (used by Spanish COVID-19 trial) – US patent application Sept 2020
- COVID-19 defeated by calcifediol form of Vitamin D in Spain - pilot RCT Aug 29, 2020
- Calcifediol (Calcidiol) might be a better form of Vitamin D for some people – May 2019
- Calcifediol (25(OH)D3) may be 4 X better than Vitamin D for fortification – Aug 2018
- Vitamin D levels might be raised very quickly
- Oral calcidiol is a good form of vitamin D supplementation – Aug 2017
- Liver transplant needs Vitamin D (actually semi-activated, not regular) – May 2017
- Mussels may have an equivalent of 2,000 IU of Vitamin D per 100 grams – Dec 2016
- Pigs have about 2X less variation in response to calcidiol as humans do to vitamin D – 2015
- Poorly functioning livers do not process vitamin D (Calcidiol is needed) – Sept 2014
- Getting Vitamin D into your body
- Vitamin D from animal increases 6X when consider that already processed by animal livers
- Is HyD (25(OH)D) a better form of vitamin D for some animals and maybe humans with liver problems
- Free-range chicken eggs have at least 3X more vitamin D – Oct 2013
- 25-Hydroxyvitamin D3 suppresses hepatitis C virus production – Oct 2012
- 130% more piglets after giving gilt Calcidiol, a form of vitamin D – Nov 2012
- Calcidiol may be 5X more effective than Vitamin D3 – June 2012
- Vitamin D3 becomes Calcidiol which becomes Calcitriol
Thirty 25ug capsules for $21
If you believe that calcidiol is 4X more potent than Vitamin D then each capsule has the equivalent of
4,000 (4 X 40 X 25) IUs of vitamin D.
The cost of 4,000 IUs of vitamin D is about 2 cents
The cost of calcitriol is thus approximately 35 X more than Vitamin D3 (21/30)/0.02
Correction of vitamin D status by calcidiol: pharmacokinetic profile, safety, and biochemical effects on bone and mineral metabolism of daily and weekly dosage regimens.
Osteoporos Int. 2017 Nov;28(11):3239-3249. doi: 10.1007/s00198-017-4180-3. Epub 2017 Aug 16.
Minisola S1, Cianferotti L2, Biondi P1, Cipriani C1, Fossi C2, Franceschelli F2, Giusti F2, Leoncini G2, Pepe J1, Bischoff-Ferrari HA3, Brandi ML4.
Download the PDF from VitaminDWiki
Daily high dose raised blood levels quickly
FGF23 - similar large daily dose and weekly dose
1,25 similar response to all treatments
Least Calcium lost in Urine = weekly
RATIONALE: Calcidiol can be employed to correct vitamin D deficiency.
MAIN RESULTS: Calcidiol administered at daily and weekly regimens over a period of 3 months was able to successfully raise 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels without altering other markers related to bone and mineral metabolism.
SIGNIFICANCE: Calcidiol supplementation is effective and safe.
The correction of vitamin D status is necessary to maintain an optimal mineral and skeletal homeostasis. Despite cholecalciferol (vitamin D3) is the most commonly used drug for vitamin D supplementation, the more hydrophilic compound calcidiol (25-hydroxyvitamin D3) can be employed at daily, weekly, and monthly regimens to reach in the short term the target levels of serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D [25(OH)D]. In the administration of different doses of calcidiol pharmacokinetic study (ADDI-D study), the efficacy and safety of daily and weekly dosages of calcidiol were tested.
A total of 87 Caucasian, community-dwelling, postmenopausal women, aged 55 years or older, with vitamin D inadequacy (serum 25(OH)D levels <30 ng/ml, with mean 25(OH)D below 20 ng/ml, namely 16.5 ± 7.5 ng/ml) were randomized to receive three different dosages of calcidiol: 20 μg/day, 40 μg/day, and 125 μg/week for 3 months. The attained level of serum 25(OH)D was selected as primary endpoint to assess efficacy, while other parameters of mineral metabolism, (serum calcium, parathyroid hormone, phosphate, FGF23, urinary calcium, and markers of bone turnover) were assessed as secondary endpoints to establish safety.
In all the three groups, serum 25(OH)D values significantly and promptly rose and plateaued above the 30 ng/ml threshold remaining within safety interval after 14 days of treatment, with similar efficacy for the similar daily and weekly dose regimens. The different dosages were also equally effective in controlling secondary hyperparathyroidism. No significant changes in calcium and phosphate metabolism and in bone turnover markers were observed for any of the treatments, confirming the safety of this compound.
The results of this study demonstrate the short- and mid-term efficacy and safety on core parameters of mineral metabolism of different daily or weekly dosages of calcidiol when used to treat vitamin D inadequacy or deficiency in postmenopausal women. Further studies are needed to assess falls as primary outcome of calcidiol supplementation.
PMID: 28815282 DOI: 10.1007/s00198-017-4180-3
Osteoporosis International (2018) 29:1697–1711 May 2018 https://doi.org/10.1007/s00198-018-4520-y
J. M. Quesada-Gomez1,2 & R. Bouillon3
Download the PDF from Sci-hub via VitaminDWiki
This page is in the following categories (# of items in each category)Category
- Cholecalciferol or Calcifediol in the Management of Vitamin D Deficiency May 2020 FREE PDF
- Hypovitaminosis D: Is It Time to Consider the Use of Calcifediol? May 2019 FREE PDF
- Effects of Weekly Supplementation of Cholecalciferol and Calcifediol Among the Oldest-Old People: Findings From a Randomized Pragmatic Clinical Trial Nov 2019 FREE PDF
147 Calcidiol 33
ID Name Comment Uploaded Size Downloads 15635 which is better - sci-hub.pdf admin 25 May, 2021 11:18 647.59 Kb 80 14958 map_pin_icon.png oregional 31 Jan, 2021 22:16 1.08 Kb 68 9487 Caclium in urine.jpg admin 10 Mar, 2018 16:32 19.71 Kb 1669 9485 calcidiol 1,25 daily weekl.jpg admin 10 Mar, 2018 16:19 14.36 Kb 1688 9483 calcidiol daily weekl.jpg admin 10 Mar, 2018 16:17 32.22 Kb 1748 9482 Calcidiol FGF23.jpg admin 10 Mar, 2018 16:17 14.29 Kb 1667 9481 calcidiol daily weekly.pdf PDF 2018 admin 10 Mar, 2018 16:16 921.11 Kb 875