Depleting ovarian cancer stem cells with calcitriol.
Oncotarget. 2018 Feb 16;9(18):14481-14491. doi: 10.18632/oncotarget.24520. eCollection 2018 Mar 6.
Srivastava AK#1,2, Rizvi A#1,3, Cui T1, Han C1, Banerjee A1,4, Naseem I3, Zheng Y5, Wani AA1, Wang QE1.
- It has been apparent for a decade that increased level of Vitamin D decreases Ovarian and 16 other Cancers
- This study shows the pathway: active vitamin D (Callcitriol) decreases the rate of Cancer growth via depleting stem cells
- The body has two independant ways to activate vitamin D from any source (oral, topicical, Ultraviolet, etc)
click on image for details
- Did not notice if this study indicated how much Calcitril wa sneeded to get the 4X reduction
- Vitamin D and Prevention of Cancer — Is it ready for Prime Time – March 2011
- Cancer risk reduced 65 percent by vitamin D levels greater than 40 nanograms – April 2016
- Evidence that Vitamin D prevents Cancer – Grant Feb 2018
- Overview Cancer and vitamin D has the following chart
- Calcitriol category listing has
56 items along with related searches
Cancer category starts with the following
260 items Overview Cancer and vitamin D
- Cancer and Vitamin D - many studies
- After Cancer Diagnosis
- Bladder Cancer
- Breast Cancer
245 items Overview Breast Cancer and Vitamin D
- Colon Cancer
136 items Overview Cancer-Colon and vitamin D
- Liver Cancer
- Lung Cancer
53 items Overview Lung cancer and vitamin D
- Lymphoma Cancer
- Other Cancer
- Ovarian Cancer
- Pancreatic Cancer
- Prostate Cancer
97 items Overview Prostate Cancer and Vitamin D
- Skin Cancer
117 items Overview Suntan, melanoma and vitamin D
- Easiest way to treat cancer – take Vitamin D – Nov 2022
- 2X increase of 14 cancers in non-seniors in 20 years (low vitamin D) – Sept 2022
- Vitamin D prevents and treats cancer in many ways – May 2021
- Those with recent cancer diagnosis had 7X increased risk of COVID-19 (more if A-A )- Dec 2020
- Deaths from many types of Cancer associated with low vitamin D- review of meta-analyses Sept 2020
- Cancer incidence and mortality is decreased if 40-60 ng of Vitamin D – April 2019
- 8 ways that Cancer might be prevented by Vitamin D - June 2019
- Cancer stem cells and Vitamin D - many studies
- Vitamin D Reduces Cancer Risk - Why Scientists Accept It but Physicians Do Not - Feb 2019
- Overview of Vitamin D Actions in Cancer – 31 page chapter in a book – 2018
- Vitamin D prevents breast cancer, reduces BC mortality, and reduces BC chemotherapy problems – Sept 2018
- Diagnosed with breast cancer – take vitamin D to cut chance of death by half – July 2018
- Melanoma 25 X more likely if low vitamin D – Feb 2018
- Better Cancer survival if higher vitamin D a decade earlier (esp. Melanoma, Kidney, Prostate)– Aug 2018
Cancers get less Vitamin D when there is a poor Vitamin D Receptor
- Vitamin D Receptor pages in VitaminDWiki with CANCER in title 80 as of Nov 2022
- Cancer and the Vitamin D Receptor, a primer – Sept 2017
- Vitamin D Receptor and Cancer
- Risk of Cancer increased if poor Vitamin D Receptor – meta-analysis of 73 studies Jan 2016
- Cancer (general) and VDR
- Breast Cancer and VDR
- Colon Cancer and VDR
- Prostate Cancer and VDR
- Skin Cancer and VDR
- Note some Health problems, such as some Cancers, protect themselves
by actively reducing Receptor activation
Getting Vitamin D into your body has the following chart
Download the PDF from VitaminDWiki
Cancer stem cells (CSCs) represent the root of many solid tumors including ovarian cancer. Eradication of CSCs represents a novel cancer therapeutic strategy. Calcitriol, also known as 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 [1,25(OH)2D3], is an active metabolite of vitamin D, functioning as a potent steroid hormone. Calcitriol has shown anti-tumor effects in various cancers by regulating multiple signaling pathways. It has been reported that calcitriol can regulate the properties of normal and CSCs. However, the effect of calcitriol on the ovarian cancer growth and ovarian CSCs is still unclear.
Here, by using a mouse subcutaneous xenograft model generated with human ovarian cancer cells, we have demonstrated that administration of calcitriol is able to strikingly delay the tumor growth.
Calcitriol treatment can also
- deplete the ovarian CSC population characterized by ALDH+ and CD44+CD117+;
- decrease their capacity to form sphere under the CSC culture condition, and
- reduce the frequency of tumor-initiating cells, as evaluated by in vivo limiting dilution analysis.
Mechanistic investigation revealed that calcitriol depletes CSCs via the nuclear vitamin D receptor (VDR)-mediated inhibition of the Wnt pathway.
Furthermore, the activation of VDR pathway is more sensitive to calcitriol in ovarian CSCs than in non-CSCs, although the expression levels of VDR are comparable.
Taken together, our data indicate that calcitriol is able to deplete the ovarian CSC population by inhibiting their Wnt signaling pathway, consequently, impeding the growth of xenograft tumors.
PMID: 29581858 PMCID: PMC5865684 DOI: 10.18632/oncotarget.24520Active Vitamin D reduces Ovarian Cancer stem cells growth by 4X (via Vitamin D receptor in lab rat) – March 2018
5790 visitors, last modified 28 Mar, 2018,This page is in the following categories (# of items in each category)
- Breast Cancer and VDR