Vitamin D: Pharmacokinetics and Safety When Used in Conjunction with the Pharmaceutical Drugs Used in Cancer Patients: A Systematic Review
Cancers 2013, 5(1), 255-280; doi:10.3390/cancers5010255
Deborah A. Kennedy 1 , Kieran Cooley 1 , Becky Skidmore 1 Heidi Fritz 1 , Tara Campbell 1 email and Dugald Seely 1,2, dseely at ccnm.edu
1 Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine, 1255 Sheppard Avenue East, Toronto, Ontario, M2K 1E2, Canada 2 Ottawa Integrative Cancer Centre, 29 Bayswater Avenue, Ottawa, Ontario, K1Y 2E5, Canada
Vitamin D has reported anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory properties modulated through gene transcription and non-genomic signaling cascades. The purpose of this review was to summarize the available research on interactions and pharmacokinetics between vitamin D and the pharmaceutical drugs used in patients with cancer. Hypercalcemia was the most frequently reported side effect that occurred in high dose calcitriol.
The half-life of 25(OH)D3 and/or 1,25(OH)2D3 was found to be impacted by cimetidine; rosuvastatin; prednisone and possibly some chemotherapy drugs.
No unusual adverse effects in cancer patients; beyond what is expected from high dose 1,25(OH)2D3 supplementation, were revealed through this review.
While sufficient evidence is lacking, supplementation with 1,25(OH)2D3 during chemotherapy appears to have a low risk of interaction. Further interactions with vitamin D3 have not been studied.
PDF is attached at the bottom of this page
See also VitaminDWiki
- Both Vitamin D and Vitamin C fight cancers and aid anticancer drugs – May 2018
- 2000 IU of vitamin D reduced fatigue of advanced cancer – RCT May 2012
- If vitamin D levels were not changed, toxicity to chemotherapy did not vary with levels – May 2012
- Breast Cancer Chemotherapy initially decreases vitamin D levels – May 2012
- Active form of vitamin D appears to help prevent and treat some cancers – Feb 2011
- Metastatic Cancer probably reduced by vitamin D - many studies
- Chemotherapy might be augmented with Vitamin D – Jan 2017
- All items in category Cancer - After diagnosis
- Chemotherapy might be amplified by vitamin D which has the following graphicCancer Chemotherapy and vitamin D – Review March 2013
8262 visitors, last modified 29 Jun, 2018,This page is in the following categories (# of items in each category)
ID Name Comment Uploaded Size Downloads 2191 Chemo A3.jpg admin 12 Mar, 2013 00:38 66.84 Kb 2275 2190 Chemo and vitamin D.jpg admin 12 Mar, 2013 00:37 46.40 Kb 2107 2189 cancers-05-00255.pdf admin 12 Mar, 2013 00:37 617.25 Kb 799