- Large doses of vitamin D reduced CFS/Fibromyalgia in > 10 studies
- Many books and online forums recommend vitamin D for CFS/Fibromyalgia
- Vitamin D also reduces a wide variety of pains
(More Fibromyalgia/CFS info below)
Learn how Vitamin D is essential for good health
Watch a 5 minute video "Does Less Sun Mean more Disease?"
Browse for other Health Problems and D in left column or here
see also Supplementing and More in the menu at the top of every page
If you have a disease associated with low Vit D take Vit D
Raising your Vit D levels will substantially prevent other low-Vit D health problems
Proof that Vitamin D Works Getting Vitamin D into your body
Books and Videos
Reasons for low response to vitamin D Why are doctors reluctant
Cancer studies include: Breast
Colds and flu Dark Skin
COVID-19 treated by Vitamin D - studies, reports, videos
- Vitamin D Levels can be restored quickly within a week with a loading dose.
- With a loading dose, you will probably feel the benefits in a week.
- A Vitamin D test is generally NOT required before having a loading dose.
- If you don't feel better within 2 weeks, you do not need to continue taking vitamin D for CFS/ME/Fibromyalgia.
When stopped, your body will naturally reduce and eliminate any excess vitamin D within 2 months.
Source of above chart = Medscape
FibroGuide - easy introduction to Fibromyalgia featured on Medscape
Fibromyalgia is the second most common condition affecting your bones and muscles. WebMD 2017
huge resource, but nothing about Vitamin D
Table of Contents for the rest of this page
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Long-haul COVID-19
- 54+ VitaminDWiki pages with FIBROMYALGIA OR FATIGUE in the title
- Fibromyalgia treated with 50,000 IU Vitamin D weekly and rehab therapy for 6 months – June 2022
- 11 of 12 studies found Vitamin D helped Fibromyalgia - review March 2022
- German website and book – relief in 1 week
- 4 Vitamin D books with sections on Chronic Pain/ Fibromyalgia
- Loading Dose of Vitamin D
- After loading the dose, just one tiny capsule every 2 weeks
- See also VitaminDWiki - related topics
- Fibromyalgia worse if low vitamin D – June 2020
- See also PubMed - CFS, Fibromyalgia, and Vitamin D.
- See also web - CFS, Fibromyalgia
- Medscape set of articles on CFS/ Fibromyalgia 2014-2015
- Fibromyalgia description - diagnosis takes many years
- Fibromyalgia pain is worse than labor pain
- If you have gut problems & Fibro - you may need a different form of Vitamin D
- Nice body chart by Dr. Carey
- EasyImmuneHealth 2014?
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome associated with different gut bacteria
- 5 Common Causes of Chronic Fatigue - Sept 2018
- Magnesium fights Fibromyalgia - a few PubMed studies
- A Wiki dedicated to ME/ Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- CFS sufferer for 25 years helped by improving his mitochondria - May 2022
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and long-haul COVID-19 include 2020 CFS updates
This list is automatically updated
Can the Combination of Rehabilitation and Vitamin D Supplementation Improve Fibromyalgia Symptoms at All Ages?
J Funct Morphol Kinesiol. 2022 Jun 20;7(2):51. doi: 10.3390/jfmk7020051.
Dalila Scaturro 1, Fabio Vitagliani 2, Sofia Tomasello 3, Mirko Filippetti 4, Alessandro Picelli 4 5, Nicola Smania 4 5, Giulia Letizia Mauro 1
6 month Results (Group A <50, Group B >50)
- Numerical Rating Scale (NRS),
- Fibromyalgia Impact Questionnaire (FIQ),
- Short Form 12 Health Survey (SF-12)
Several studies have indicated a correlation between vitamin D deficiency and widespread chronic pain syndromes, such as fibromyalgia. During this study, the effect of supplementation with vitamin D in association with physical exercise in patients with fibromyalgia was evaluated, in terms of improvement of pain, functional capacity, and quality of life, also evaluating the presence of any differences in age. A single-center, observational, comparative study was conducted on 80 fibromyalgia patients.
They are randomized into 2 groups:
- Group A, consisting of patients ≤50 years; and
- Group B consists of patients &>;50 years.
Both received weekly supplementation with 50,000 IU cholecalciferol for 3 months in association with a rehabilitation protocol. Patients were assessed at enrollment (T0), 3 months (T1), and 6 months (T2) from the initial assessment with blood vitamin D dosage and administration of rating scales (NRS, FIQ, and SF-12). From the comparison between the two groups, we have seen that in young people, supplementation with high-dose vitamin D improves short-term musculoskeletal pain and long-term functional capacity. Conversely, musculoskeletal pain and long-term quality of life improve in the elderly. Supplementing with high doses of vitamin D in fibromyalgia patients improves the quality of life and pain in the elderly and also the functional capacity in the young.
Download the PDF from VitaminDWiki
Efficacy of Vitamin D Supplementation in the Improvement of Clinical Status in Patients Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia Syndrome: A Systematic Review
Curr Rheumatol Rev. 2022 Mar 7. doi: 10.2174/1573397118666220307122152 behind $95 paywall
Nanditha Venkatesan 1, Mallika Gyawali 2, Rinky A Botleroo 2, Rowan Ahmed 2, Roaa Kareem 2, Opemipo D Ogeyingbo 3, Renu Bhandari 4, Abeer O Elshaikh 2
Background Fibromyalgia syndrome is characterized by extensive muscular pain and chronic fatigue. Among the pharmacologic and other nutrient supplements that have been studied, Vitamin D has garnered attention owing to the critical role it plays in inflammatory and pain pathways. We conducted a systematic literature review to examine the efficacy of vitamin D supplementation in improving the clinical status of the patients and alleviating the symptoms of fibromyalgia.
Methods We searched Cochrane CENTRAL, PubMed, Science Direct, Scopus, and grey literature (medrXiv and biorXiv) for observational studies, randomized controlled trials, case-control studies, and case reports published in English from January 2011 to May 2021, using the terms vitamin D and fibromyalgia or FMS. References were reviewed manually, and articles were only included if they were specific in their diagnosis of fibromyalgia.
Results 2651 studies were retrieved, with 12 studies fulfilling the inclusion criteria. 11 out of these 12 studies were of high quality and showed a low risk of bias. 11 of these also demonstrated definitive improvement in clinical status and various outcome measures following supplementation with Vitamin D.
Conclusions Our study emphasizes an association between the supplementation of vitamin D and the improvement of the clinical condition of fibromyalgia through a systematic review of high-quality studies. The study also identified areas for future scope for research that is needed for standardizing the detection and treatment of this chronic condition through cost-effective supplements such as Vitamin D.
- Excellent Vitamin D website with a Free Vitamin D evaluation service in English and another in German
- Healthy in Seven Days - Loading dose of Vitamin D – book 2014, which has the following chart
Case studies in the book include Back and leg pain, Chronic fatigue, Lethargy, Fatigue, Exhaustion, Neck pain, and Emergency relief from exhaustion.
- The Vitamin D Solution: CFS on pages 4,12,67 Fibromyalgia 4, 6, 12, 65-68
- The Vitamin D Cure: Chronic pain and Fibromyalgia pg 133-136
- Power of Vitamin D: contained in chapters pg 25-34, available as an e-book for $5
- Vitamin D Prescription: Fibromyalgia on pages 4, 20-23, 80-84, 171, 185, 198-199
Overview Loading of vitamin D
Check that you are not allergic to vitamin D by trying a small amount - say 1,000 IU and seeing any reactions (only about 1 in 300 people are)
The brand vitamin D with the least amount of additives and no reported bad reactions is Bio-Tech - which also is the highest-rated brand on Amazon.
Of the few people with reactions to vitamin D, many appear to be deficient in Magnesium - Magnesium Chloride is a good supplement.
A typical loading dose of 400,000 IU - can, for example, be achieved by 50,000 IU capsules once a day for 8 days.
- One pill every two weeks gives you all the vitamin D most adults need - it also has a lot of information on Vitamin D
About 2 cents per day. Eight of the same 50,000 IU capsules can be used as a loading dose: at a total cost of $2.00
- How often might 50,000 IU vitamin D be taken - results of clinical trials - show how many other diseases will be prevented/cured with 1 pill every 2 weeks
- Rheumatoid arthritis associated with low vitamin D – Fibromyalgia makes it even lower – Oct 2014
- Inflammation category
items Depression Category
items Headache category
items Hypothesis of Autoimmunity which includes Epstein-Barr Virus and Vitamin D Deficiency – 2012
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome was called Epstine Barr Virus before 1988 All items in category Chronic Pain
Association Between Low Vitamin D Levels and the Greater Impact of Fibromyalgia
J Clin Med Res. 2020 Jul;12(7):436-442. doi: 10.14740/jocmr4136
Susyane Ribeiro Beserra 1, Fabiola Isabel Suano Souza 1, Roseli Oselka Saccardo Sarni 1, Myllena Maria de Morais Pereira 2
Download the PDF from VitaminDWiki
Background: Fibromyalgia (FM) is a clinical syndrome mainly characterized by generalized chronic pain, fatigue, sleep, and cognition disorders. The role played by vitamin D in the pathophysiology of painful syndromes is poorly known. Studies assessing the association between vitamin D and FM have presented conflicting results. The aims of the current study were to assess vitamin D levels in FM patients by comparing them to healthy controls, as well as to analyze their impact on this disease.
Methods: This was a cross-sectional study comprising 43 FM patients (ACR 2010 criteria) and 40 healthy individuals. All participants had their vitamin D levels measured, and FM patients also had their total calcium, albumin, phosphorus, and parathyroid hormone (PTH) measured. Clinical variables capable of affecting the results were evaluated, and the fibromyalgia impact questionnaire (FIQ) was applied.
Results: There was no statistically significant difference in global mean values of vitamin D between groups. In the total sample, only 4.8% of the individuals had vitamin D deficiency, which corresponded to the deficiency found in the group of patients; in the control, no one had vitamin deficiency; 39.8% had insufficient levels, and 55.4% with sufficient levels. The mean serum vitamin D values were similar between the FM and control groups (34.8 ± 12 and 34.7 ± 12.3 ng/mL, respectively; P = 0.806). However, a significant negative correlation was found between vitamin D concentration and FIQ values; that is, patients with the greatest impact of the disease had lower concentrations of vitamin D (P = 0.018).
Conclusion: FM patients did not present a higher prevalence of vitamin D deficiency or insufficiency than healthy individuals, although low vitamin D concentrations could indicate more severe disease impacts.
Clipped from PDF
“…” fibromyalgia impact questionnaire (FIQ), which comprised questions organized into 10 different items focused on investigating participants’ functional capacity, professional status, psychological disorders, and physical symptoms.”
Search for (fibromyalgia OR "Chronic Fatigue") "vitamin d" 105 items as of Dec 2020
- Is hypovitaminosis D associated with fibromyalgia? A systematic review Aug 2019, inclusive
- Vitamin D and fibromyalgia: a meta-analysis Oct 2017, yes, FREE PDF
- Effects of vitamin D optimization on quality of life of patients with fibromyalgia: A randomized controlled tria April 2018. 50,000 IU weekly helped FREE PDF
- Vitamin D Supplementation Seems to Improve Fibromyalgia Symptoms: Preliminary Results June 2018 50,000 IU weekly helped FREE PDF
- Vitamin D in Fibromyalgia: A Causative or Confounding Biological Interplay? June 2016 Free PDF online
- Effects of vitamin D on patients with fibromyalgia syndrome: a randomized placebo-controlled trial Feb 2014
"The goal was to achieve serum calcifediol levels between 32 and 48ng/mL for 20 weeks via oral supplementation with cholecalciferol."
"A marked reduction in pain was noted over the treatment period."
"This economical therapy with a low side effect profile may well be considered in patients with FMS."
- Efficacy and safety of weekly vitamin D 3 in patients with fibromyalgia Feb 2021, 50K 12 week
- DOI: 10.1007/s10067-021-05640-8 Most likely too short of time to be of benefit without a loading dose
- PubMed CoQ10 and fibor drug better than just fibro drug in reducing pain - RCT Aug 2019
- Should consider taking CoQ10 in addition to Vitamin D
- 20+ Natural Fibromyalgia Solutions Including The Gluten-Free Diet GreenMedInfo, Feb 2014
includes: Magnesium, Vitamin D, CoQ10, D-Ribose (reduced symptoms in 2/3 of people,
- 4 minute excellent review of Fibromyalgia studies and trials
Michael Greger, M.D. FACLM July 3rd, 2017 Volume 36
- Mercola 2022 PDF
Mitocondria and IR light, Vitamin D and Magnesium 1-hour video.
- People commenting on CFS and vitamin D
- Are sunlight and vitamin D good for chronic fatigue syndrome?
- Fighting Fatigue website on vitamin D
- Is Vitamin D Important For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?
- How Fibromyalgia and Vitamin D Deficiency Are Linked?
- Fibromyalgia & CFS Blog at About.com
- Updated Jan 2011 - feeling much better with 5,000 IU daily - many comments
- Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgia at About.com
- WikiPedia : African Americans and Native Americans have a significantly higher risk of CFS.2009 (Dark skin is associated with less vitamin d)
- Vitamin D deficiency and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Oct 2012 - long blog post with lots of references
- Editorial: Fibromyalgia: could vitamin D help? International Journal of Clinical Rheumatology, June 2014
No abstract, Publisher charges $20 to rent the abstract for a day
- fibromyalgia patient overview Vitamin D Council - 2013?
- Fibromyalgia is worse during pregnancy fibromyalgia-symptoms.org
This could be predicted since vitamin D levels drop during pregnancy
- Symptoms of Fibromyalgia Patients Like Me
- Patients Like Me has lots of Fibromyalgia information, such as a chart that show who has it
- Vitamin D at CureTogether: Fibromyalgia, MS, Psoriasis, etc - Dec 2013
Vitamin D is fairly popular among 113 treatments and has some effectiveness even at low doses (assume 2,000 IU without a loading dose)
- Fibromyalgia is a disorder of unknown etiology characterized by widespread pain, abnormal pain processing, sleep disturbance, fatigue, and often psychological distress.
- People with fibromyalgia may also have other symptoms, such as Morning stiffness, Tingling or numbness in hands and feet, Headaches, including migraines, Irritable bowel syndrome, Sleep disturbances, Cognitive problems with thinking and memory (sometimes called "fibro fog"), Painful menstrual periods and other pain syndromes.
- Fibromyalgia often co-occurs (up to 25-65%) with other rheumatic conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis (RA), systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), and ankylosing spondylitis (AS).
- Prevalence 3.4% women, 0.5% men - averaged over all ages - increases with age
- Working-age women with fibromyalgia hospitalized for occupational musculoskeletal disorders were almost 10 times less likely to return to work
Causes and/or risk factors for fibromyalgia are unknown, but some things have been loosely associated with disease onset:
Stressful or traumatic events, Repetitive injuries, Illness (e.g., viral infections), Certain diseases (i.e., SLE, RA, chronic fatigue syndrome), Genetic predisposition, Obesity
Note by VitaminDWiki: most of these are associated with a decrease in vitamin D levels
- Effect of Correction of Low Vitamin D in Fatigue Study (EViDiF Study) Aug 2014
Full free text online. 50,000 IU of D2 3 times per week for 5 weeks got 96% of subjects > 30 ng. Total fatigue scores dropped from 33 down to 11
same study described at Vitamin D Council free
- A Primer on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome GreenMedInfo Jan 2015
Mentions Vitamin D
- Hope for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome SLATE Nov 2015
"And the hallmark symptom of the illness is that exertion can make patients much, much worse."
". . . the National Institutes of Health spends $5 million to $6 million a year on a disease that affects a million Americans. (For comparison, about the same number of people with HIV/AIDS receives $3 billion in NIH funding.)"
the article describes the major shortcomings of the previous PCE trial
- ME isn’t just ‘exercise phobia’: it’s a physical illness. Nov 2015
People die of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME) when PCE-type techniques are used.
74 percent of ME patients are harmed by the therapy
- CHRONIC PAIN: WHAT IT IS AND HOW PROPER TESTING HELPS Dec 2020
- does not mention Vitamin D
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Wrong Name, Real Illness Jan 2015
Called CFS in the US and elsewhere myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME). since 1988, defined by CDC in 1999
'' malaise lasting days to weeks following even modest physical or mental exertion, unrefreshing sleep, and cognitive dysfunction.
Chronic pain is common, and many patients also meet the criteria for fibromyalgia.
ME/CFS appears to be more common among ethnic and racial minority groups and in those of lower socioeconomic status
Many ME/CFS patients are able to pinpoint the condition's onset to a flulike illness from which they never recovered
- Fibromyalgia: The Latest in Diagnosis and Care Sept 2014
It was previously called neurasthenia, then fibrositis (medical fas included removing organs to "cure" the problem)
diagnostic criteria of 1990 and 2010 were meant to be used for research studies, not to diagnose individual patients.
Now recommend looking at widespread pain accompanied by fatigue, sleep, memory, and mood problems
- Pain and Depression Treatment Possible in Fibromyalgia Sept 2014
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Aug 2014
- Fibromyalgia May 2014
Lab testing includes a Metabolic panel, Urinalysis, Thyroid-stimulating hormone level, and 25-hydroxy vitamin D level.
Vitamin B12. Iron, Magnesium, Erythrocyte sedimentation rate, Antipolymer antibody
See also VitaminDWiki combined Vitamin D, Iron, Magnesium deficiencies
Deficiencies of iron and vitamin D are interrelated in women
Iron deficiency is a cause of Vitamin D deficiency which has an Iron supplement that is 23X better than typical.
Pain Medical Musing from a 1988 book
Standard Vitamin D is not absorbed well in poorly functioning guts (IBS, etc.)
There are many different "gut-friendly" forms of vitamin D
Vitamin D injection is far better than oral for diabetics (poor gut) – RCT March 2017
Nice body chart by Dr. Carey
Fibromyalgia and Vitamin D Don't Get Misdiagnosed
Fibromyalgia and Vitamin D Deficiency very often have COMPLETELY IDENTICAL symptoms.
Large numbers of people have been misdiagnosed with Fibromyalgia when they simply have Vitamin D Deficiency- don't be one of them.
- Gut Bacteria Are Different in People With Chronic Fatigue Syndrome New York Times July 2016
"The stool samples of those with C.F.S. had significantly lower diversity of species compared with the healthy people — a finding typical of inflammatory bowel disease as well."
- Reduced diversity and altered composition of the gut microbiome in individuals with myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome
Full free PDF online, Published June 2016
5 Common Causes of Chronic Fatigue and Tests That Help Reveal The Cause Self Hacked
1) Anemia: Iron Deficiency, Vitamin B12 Deficiency, Folate (Vitamin B9) Deficiency
Overview Iron Supplements and Vitamin D
2) Poor Thyroid Function (Hypothyroidism)
Thyroid and vitamin D are the only body components which have a receptor on every cell in the body
Hypothyroidism risk reduced 32 percent in those getting vitamin D levels above 50 ng – Oct 2017
The Role of Vitamin D in Thyroid Diseases – Sept 2017
3) Vitamin D Deficiency
4) Poor Liver Function
5) Low Testosterone Levels
- Magnesium and Fibromyalgia: A Literature Review - 2021 PDF
- Fibromyalgia and nutrition: Therapeutic possibilities? July 2018 (Magnesium) 10.1016/j.biopha.2018.04.056
amino acids, magnesium, selenium, vitamins B and D
- Effects of transdermal magnesium chloride on quality of life for patients with fibromyalgia: a feasibility study Sept 2016 doi: 10.1016/S2095-4964(15)60195-9
- He was helped by Sarah Myhill’s book, Diagnosis and Treatment of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Myalgic Encephalitis, 2nd ed.: It’s Mitochondria, Not Hypochondria
- Johnson thinks ME/CFS is caused by a virus.8
- "...estimated 1% of the global population has ME/CFS
- took >20 years for him to be diagnosed as having ME/CFS
- Note: on average, the time is 7 years to be diagnosed
Short URL = http://is.gd/fibrovitdOverview Fibromyalgia or Chronic Fatigue and vitamin D
430817 visitors, last modified 14 Sep, 2023,
ID Name Comment Uploaded Size Downloads 17959 Fibro 6 months.jpg admin 23 Jun, 2022 22:55 40.50 Kb 2494 17958 Fibro - Vitamin D and rehab.pdf PDF 2022 admin 23 Jun, 2022 22:55 293.48 Kb 316 17644 Mercola CFS 2022.pdf admin 22 May, 2022 22:36 116.47 Kb 271 17621 Mg Fibro review 2021.pdf PDF 2021 admin 19 May, 2022 10:30 381.41 Kb 277 14035 Impact of Fibromyalgia.pdf PDF 2020 admin 14 Jul, 2020 13:16 420.28 Kb 853 6197 Fibro Easy.jpg admin 30 Nov, 2015 03:05 75.09 Kb 54518 5032 Beyond CFS - IOM Feb 2015.pdf PDF 2015 admin 10 Feb, 2015 19:16 589.27 Kb 2287 4857 Pain level.jpg admin 11 Jan, 2015 15:47 49.55 Kb 33216 4856 Diganosis delay.jpg admin 11 Jan, 2015 14:38 58.53 Kb 34762 4462 Fibomyalgia.jpg admin 08 Oct, 2014 11:54 69.87 Kb 38897 4301 Overlap.jpg admin 20 Aug, 2014 12:04 61.41 Kb 70340 4300 Like me symptoms.jpg admin 20 Aug, 2014 11:58 30.29 Kb 34169 4299 Fibro survey comparison.jpg admin 20 Aug, 2014 11:17 45.43 Kb 39724 75 Patients Like Me Fibro.gif Patients Like Me CFS admin 10 Jun, 2010 02:44 28.17 Kb 8870