This list is automatically updated
Using a Topical Formulation of Vitamin D for the Treatment of Vitiligo: A Systematic Review
Cells. 2023 Sep 30;12(19):2387. doi: 10.3390/cells12192387.
Khadeejeh Al-Smadi 1, Masood Ali 1, Seyed Ebrahim Alavi 1, Xuping Jin 1 2, Mohammad Imran 1, Vania R Leite-Silva 1 3, Yousuf Mohammed 1 2
Vitamin D is one significant prohormone substance in human organ systems. It is a steroidal hormone produced in the skin upon exposure to UVB rays. This paper presents a systematic review of the utilization of topical vitamin D, specifically cholecalciferol, calcipotriol, and tacalcitol, in the treatment of vitiligo. It considers the role of vitamin D in stimulating the synthesis of melanin and melanogenesis, which can help with the process of repigmentation. The inclusion of calcipotriol or tacalcitol in Narrowband Ultraviolet Phototherapy (NB-UVB) has shown the potential to enhance therapeutic outcomes for vitiligo. However, their effectiveness in combination with Psoralens Long Wave Ultraviolet Radiation (PUVA) and Monochromatic Excimer Light (MEL) treatment for vitiligo is limited. In contrast, combining topical corticosteroids with vitamin D analogues has demonstrated superior efficacy in treating vitiligo compared to using vitamin D analogues alone, while also providing the added benefit of reducing corticosteroid-related adverse effects. In addition, treating stable vitiligo with topical cholecalciferol and microneedling has shown success. Future studies are needed to ascertain an efficient method of administering vitamin D topically as an anti-vitiligo agent.
Download the PDF from VitaminDWiki
VitaminDWiki – Psoriasis category contains:Some of the
- Psoriasis is most strongly associated with low vitamin D (15 things were evaluated) – July 2022
- Long-term Psoriasis cured by 30,000 to 60,000 IU of Vitamin D daily (pictures and video) – early 2022
- Psoriasis paradigm shift – use topicals, like Vitamin D – Aug 2021
- Low Vitamin D plus psoriasis equals 8 times more likely to die – Dec 2020
- UV has treated psoriasis for over a century, guidelines finally agreed upon – Aug 2019
- Psoriasis severity associated with low vitamin D (10 studies) – meta-analysis Jan 2018
- Psoriasis reduced for those getting Vitamin D levels above 50 ng – RCT Feb 2018
- 35,000 IU vitamin D daily for 6 months helped ALL psoriasis suffers (106 ng) – Brazil March 2013
|1457 visitors, last modified 11 Nov, 2023,