- Large doses of vitamin D reduced CFS/Fibromyalgia in > 10 studies
- Many books and online forums recommend vitamin D for CFS/Fibromyalgia
- Vitamin D also reduces a wide variety of pains
(More Fibromyalgia/CFS info below)
Learn how Vitamin D is essential for good health
Watch a 5 minute video "Does Less Sun Mean more Disease?"
Browse for other Health Problems and D in left column or here
see also Supplementing and More in the menu at the top of every page
If you have a disease associated with low Vit D take Vit D
Raising your Vit D levels will substantially prevent other low-Vit D health problems
Often your specific health problem will also be treated
- Vitamin D Levels can be restored quickly within a week with a loading dose.
- With a loading dose you will probably feel the benefits in a week.
- A Vitamin D test is generally NOT required before having a loading dose.
- If you don't feel better within 2 weeks you do not need to continue taking vitamin D for CFS/ME/Fibromyalgia.
When stopped, your body will naturally reduce eliminate any excess vitamin D within 2 months.
Source of above chart = Medscape
FibroGuide - easy introduction to Fibromyalgia featured on MedScape
Fibromyalgia is the second most common condition affecting your bones and muscles. WebMd 2017
huge resource, nothing about Vitamin D
Table of Contents for the rest of this page
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and long-haul COVID-19
- See also VitaminDWiki - Fatigue
- See also VitaminDWiki - Fibromyalgia
- German web site and book – relief in 1 week
- 4 Vitamin D books with sections on Chronic Pain/ Fibromyalgia
- Loading Dose of Vitamin D
- After loading dose just one tiny capsule every 2 weeks
- See also VitaminDWiki - related topics
- Fibromyalgia worse if low vitamin D – June 2020
- See also pubmed - CFS, Fibromyalgia and Vitamin D
- See also web - CFS, Fibromyalgia
- MedScape set of articles on CFS/ Fibromyalgia 2014-2015
- Fibromyalgia description - diagnosis takes many years
- Fibromyalgia pain worse than labor pain
- If gut problems & Fibro - may need a different form of Vitamin D
- Nice body chart by Dr. Carey
- EasyImmuneHealth 2014?
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome associated with different gut bacteria
- 5 Common Causes of Chronic Fatigue - Sept 2018
- Magnesium and Fibromyalgia - a few PubMed studies
- A Wiki dedicated to ME/ Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and long-haul COVID-19 include 2020 CFS updates
- Fatigued seniors have lower levels of Vitamin D – Oct 2019
- 8 Signs of Low Vitamin D - sweating, bones ache, muscle pain, poor immune, fatigue, slow healing etc. – YouTube Dec 2018
- Fatigue reduced by a single dose of vitamin D (100,000 IU) – RCT Dec 2016
- Magnesium and Vitamin D - similar, different and synergistic both deal with Chronic Fatigue
- PMS: 1.5X more likely to have cramps, feel fatigued and anxious if low vitamin D – Sept 2018
- Less fatigue if more vitamin D (90 percent of palliative cancer were deficient) – Aug 2015
- 2000 IU of vitamin D reduced fatigue of advanced cancer – RCT May 2012
- Chronic Fatigue and Vitamin D insight – Jan 2014
- Fibromyalgia associated with lower Vitamin D – meta-analysis Oct 2017
- Search VitaminDWiki for “Chronic Fatigue" OR CFS OR "Myalgic Encephalomyelitis") 299 web pages as of Aug 2020
- Fibromyalgia associated with low vitamin D, more studies needed – review Dec 2018
- Fibromyalgia helped by Vitamin D – still not sure how much, and why - June 2016
- Fibromyalgia treated with Vitamin D (50,000 IU weekly for 3 months) – 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
- Fibromyalgia development 1.9 X more likely if low vitamin D – Jan 2016
- Sleep, Vitamin D, Vitamin B-12, IBS, Fibromyalgia - Gominak March 2015
- High dose vitamin reduced pain of fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis - July 2015
- Chronic Fatigue and Vitamin D insight – Jan 2014
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome reduced with 25,000 IU of vitamin D weekly – June 2013 achieved 30-48 ng level
- Fatigue substantially reduced by 450,000 IU Vitamin D2 spread over 5 weeks – Aug 2014
- Chronic Widespread Pain associated with Vitamin D under 10 ng – meta-analysis Oct 2015
- Overlap between Fibromyalgia and other Chronic Pains – 2012
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome reduced by D-Ribose – 2012
- Excellent Vitamin D web site with a Free Vitamin D evaluation service in English and another in German
- Healthy in Seven Days - Loading dose of Vitamin D – book 2014 which has the following chart
Case studies in book include: Back and leg pain, Chronic fatigue, Lethargy, Fatigue, Exhaustion, Neck pain, Emergency relief from exhaustion, .
- The Vitamin D Solution: CFS on pages 4,12,67 Fibromyalgia 4, 6, 12, 65-68
- The Vitamin D Cure: Chronic pain and Fibromyalgia pg 133-136
- Power of Vitamin D: contained in chapter pg 25-34 available as an e-book for $5
- Vitamin D Prescription: Fibromyalgia on pages 4, 20-23, 80-84, 171, 185, 198-199
Overview Loading of vitamin D
Check that you are not allergic to vitamin D by trying a small amount - say 1,000 IU and seeing any reactions (only about 1 in 300 people are)
The brand vitamin D with the least amount of additives and no reported bad reactions is Bio-Tech - which also is the highest rated brand on Amazon
Of the few people with reactions to vitamin D, many appear to be deficient in Magnesium - Magnesium Chloride is a good supplement
A typical loading dose in 400,000 IU - can be, for example, be achieved by 50,000 IU capsules once a day for 8 days.
- One pill every two weeks gives you all the vitamin D most adults need - also has a lot of information on Vitamin D
About 2 cents per day. Eight of the same 50,000 IU capsules can be used as a loading dose: at a total cost of $2.00
- How often might 50000 IU vitamin D be taken - results of clinical trials - shows how many other diseases will be prevented/cured with 1 pill every 2 weeks
- Rheumatoid arthritis associated with low vitamin D – Fibromyalgia makes it even lower – Oct 2014
- Inflammation category
- Depression category
- Headache category
- Hypothesis of Autoimmunity which includes Barr Virus and Vitamin D Deficiency – 2012
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome was called Epstine Barr Virus before 1988
- All items in category Chronic Pain
- Pain subjectively and objectively lower in people with higher levels of vitamin D – Aug 2014
- 100 Million Americans Have Chronic Pain – IoM June 2011
Association Between Low Vitamin D Levels and the Greater Impact of Fibromyalgia
J Clin Med Res. 2020 Jul;12(7):436-442. doi: 10.14740/jocmr4136
Susyane Ribeiro Beserra 1, Fabiola Isabel Suano Souza 1, Roseli Oselka Saccardo Sarni 1, Myllena Maria de Morais Pereira 2
Download the PDF from VitaminDWiki
Background: Fibromyalgia (FM) is a clinical syndrome mainly characterized by generalized chronic pain, fatigue, sleep and cognition disorders. The role played by vitamin D in the pathophysiology of painful syndromes is poorly known. Studies assessing the association between vitamin D and FM have presented conflicting results. The aims of the current study were to assess vitamin D levels in FM patients, by comparing them to healthy controls, as well as to analyze their impact on this disease.
Methods: This was a cross-sectional study comprising 43 FM patients (ACR 2010 criteria) and 40 healthy individuals. All participants had their vitamin D levels measured, and FM patients also had their total calcium, albumin, phosphorus and parathyroid hormone (PTH) measured. Clinical variables capable of affecting the results were evaluated and the fibromyalgia impact questionnaire (FIQ) was applied.
Results: There was not statistically significant difference in global mean values of vitamin D between groups. In the total sample, only 4.8% of the individuals had vitamin D deficiency, which corresponded to the deficiency found in the group of patients; in the control, no one had vitamin deficiency; 39.8% had insufficient levels and 55.4% with sufficient levels. The mean serum vitamin D values were similar between the FM and control groups (34.8 ± 12 and 34.7 ± 12.3 ng/mL, respectively; P = 0.806). However, a significant negative correlation was found between vitamin D concentration and FIQ values, that is, patients with the greatest impact of the disease had lower concentrations of vitamin D (P = 0.018).
Conclusion: FM patients did not present higher prevalence of vitamin D deficiency or insufficiency than healthy individuals, although low vitamin D concentrations could indicate more severe disease impacts.
Clipped from PDF
“…”fibromyalgia impact questionnaire (FIQ), which comprised questions organized in 10 different items focused on investigating about participants’ functional capacity, professional status, psychological disorders and physical symptoms.”
Search for (fibromyalgia OR "Chronic Fatigue") "vitamin d" 105 items as of Dec 2020
- Is hypovitaminosis D associated with fibromyalgia? A systematic review Aug 2019, inclusive
- Vitamin D and fibromyalgia: a meta-analysis Oct 2017, yes, FREE PDF
- Effects of vitamin D optimization on quality of life of patients with fibromyalgia: A randomized controlled tria April 2018. 50,000 IU weekly helped FREE PDF
- Vitamin D Supplementation Seems to Improve Fibromyalgia Symptoms: Preliminary Results June 2018 50,000 IU weekly helped FREE PDF
- Vitamin D in Fibromyalgia: A Causative or Confounding Biological Interplay? June 2016 Free PDF online
- Effects of vitamin D on patients with fibromyalgia syndrome: a randomized placebo-controlled trial Feb 2014
"The goal was to achieve serum calcifediol levels between 32 and 48ng/mL for 20 weeks via oral supplementation with cholecalciferol."
"A marked reduction in pain was noted over the treatment period "
"This economical therapy with a low side effect profile may well be considered in patients with FMS"
- Efficacy and safety of weekly vitamin D 3 in patients with fibromyalgia Feb 2021, 50K 12 week
- DOI: 10.1007/s10067-021-05640-8 Most likely too short of time to be of a benefit witout a loading dose
- PubMed CoQ10 and fibor drug better than just fibro drug in reducing pain - RCT Aug 2019
- Should consider taking CoQ10 in addtion to Vitamin D
- 20+ Natural Fibromyalgia Solutions Including The Gluten-Free Diet GreenMedInfo,Feb 2014
includes: Magnesium, Vitamin D, CoQ10, D-Ribose (reduced symptoms in 2/3 of people,
- 4 minute excellent review of Fibromyalgia studies and trials
Michael Greger M.D. FACLM July 3rd, 2017 Volume 36
- Mercola 2018
Extensive set of articles - treatments includes Vitamin D and Magnesium
- People commenting on CFS and vitamin D
- Are sunlight and vitamin D good for chronic fatigue syndrome?
- Fighting Fatigue website on vitamin D
- Is Vitamin D Important For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?
- How Fibromyalgia and Vitamin D Deficiency Are Linked?
- Fibromyalgia & CFS Blog at About.com
- Updated Jan 2011 - feeling much better with 5,000 IU daily - many comments
- Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgia at About.com
- WikiPedia :African Americans and Native Americans have a significantly higher risk of CFS.2009 (Dark skin is associated with less vitamin d)
- Vitamin D deficiency and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Oct 2012 - long blog post with lots of references
- Editorial: Fibromyalgia: could vitamin D help? International Journal of Clinical Rheumatology, June 2014
No abstract, Publisher charges $20 to rent the abstract for a day
- fibromyalgia pateint overview Vitamin D Council - 2013 ?
- Fibromyalgia is worse during pregnancy fibromyalgia-symptoms.org
Which could be predicted since vitamin D levels drop during pregnancy
- Symptoms of Fibromyalgia Patients Like Me
- Patients Like Me has lots of Fibromyalgia information such as a chart which show who has it
- Vitamin D at CureTogether: Fibromyalgia, MS, Psorasis, etc - Dec 2013
Vitamin D is fairly popular among 113 treatments, and has some effectiveness even at low doses (assume 2,000 IU without loading dose)
- Fibromyalgia is a disorder of unknown etiology characterized by widespread pain, abnormal pain processing, sleep disturbance, fatigue and often psychological distress.
- People with fibromyalgia may also have other symptoms; such as:Morning stiffness, Tingling or numbness in hands and feet, Headaches, including migraines, Irritable bowel syndrome, Sleep disturbances, Cognitive problems with thinking and memory (sometimes called "fibro fog"), Painful menstrual periods and other pain syndromes
- Fibromyalgia often co-occurs (up to 25-65%) with other rheumatic conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis (RA), systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), and ankylosing spondylitis (AS).
- Prevalence 3.4% women, 0.5% men - averaged over all ages - increases with age
- Working age women with fibromyalgia hospitalized for occupational musculoskeletal disorders were almost 10 times less likely to return to work
Causes and/or risk factors for fibromyalgia are unknown, but some things have been loosely associated with disease onset:
Stressful or traumatic events, Repetitive injuries, Illness (e.g. viral infections), Certain diseases (i.e., SLE, RA, chronic fatigue syndrome), Genetic predisposition, Obesity
Note by VitaminDWiki: most of these are associated with a decrease in vitamin D levels
- Effect of Correction of Low Vitamin D in Fatigue Study (EViDiF Study) Aug 2014
Full free text online. 50,000 IU of D2 3 times per week for 5 weeks got 96% of subjects > 30 ng. Total fatigue scores dropped from 33 down to 11
same study described at Vitamin D Council free
- A Primer on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome GreenMedInfo Jan 2015
Mentions Vitamin D
- Hope for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome SLATE Nov 2015
"And the hallmark symptom of the illness is that exertion can make patients much, much worse"
". . . the National Institutes of Health spends $5 million to $6 million a year on a disease that affects a million Americans. (For comparison, about the same number of people with HIV/AIDS, which receives $3 billion in NIH funding.)"
article describes major shortcommings of the previous PCE trial
- ME isn’t just ‘exercise phobia’: it’s a physical illness Nov 2015
People die of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME) when PCE type techniquies are used.
74 per cent of ME patients are harmed by the therapy
- CHRONIC PAIN: WHAT IT IS AND HOW PROPER TESTING HELPS Dec 2020
- does not mention Vitamin D
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Wrong Name, Real Illness Jan 2015
Called CFS in US, and elsewhere myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME). since 1988, defined by CDC in 1999
'' malaise lasting days to weeks following even modest physical or mental exertion, unrefreshing sleep, and cognitive dysfunction.
Chronic pain is common and many patients also meet criteria for fibromyalgia.
ME/CFS appears to be more common among ethnic and racial minority groups and in those of lower socioeconomic status
Many ME/CFS patients able to pinpoint the condition's onset to a flulike illness from which they never recovered
- Fibromyalgia: The Latest in Diagnosis and Care Sept 2014
It was previously called neurasthenia, then fibrositis (medical fas included removing organs to "cure" the probllem)
diagnostic criteria, of 1990 and 2010 were meant to be used for research studies, not to diagnose individual patients.
Now recommend looking at widespread pain accompanied by fatigue, sleep, memory, and mood problems
- Pain and Depression Treatment Possible in Fibromyalgia Sept 2014
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Aug 2014
- Fibromyalgia May 2014
Lab testing includes:Metabolic panel, Urinalysis, Thyroid-stimulating hormone level, 25-hydroxy vitamin D level
Vitamin B12. Iron, Magnesium, Erythrocyte sedimentation rate, Antipolymer antibodys
See also VitaminDWiki combined Vitamin D, Iron, Magnesium deficiences
Deficiencies of iron and vitamin D are interrelated in women
Iron deficiency is a cause of Vitamin D deficiency which has an Iron supplement which is 23X better than typical.
Pain Medical Musing from a 1988 book
Standard Vitamin D is not absorbed well in poorly functioning guts (IBS, etc)
There are many different "gut friendly" forms of vitamin D
Vitamin D injection is far better than oral for diabetics (poor gut) – RCT March 2017
Nice body chart by Dr. Carey
Fibromyalgia and Vitamin D Don't Get Misdiagnosed
Fibromyalgia and Vitamin D Deficiency very often have COMPLETELY IDENTICAL symptoms.
Large numbers of people have been misdiagnosed with Fibromyalgia when they simply have Vitamin D Deficiency- don't be one of them.
- Gut Bacteria Are Different in People With Chronic Fatigue Syndrome New York Times July 2016
"The stool samples of those with C.F.S. had significantly lower diversity of species compared with the healthy people — a finding typical of inflammatory bowel disease as well."
- Reduced diversity and altered composition of the gut microbiome in individuals with myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome
Full free PDF online, Published June 2016
5 Common Causes of Chronic Fatigue and Tests That Help Reveal The Cause Self Hacked
1) Anemia: Iron Deficiency, Vitamin B12 Deficiency, Folate (Vitamin B9) Deficiency
Overview Iron Supplements and Vitamin D
2) Poor Thyroid Function (Hypothyroidism)
Thyroid and vitamin D are the only body components which have a receptor on every cell in the body
Hypothyroidism risk reduced 32 percent in those getting vitamin D levels above 50 ng – Oct 2017
The Role of Vitamin D in Thyroid Diseases – Sept 2017
3) Vitamin D Deficiency
4) Poor Liver Function
5) Low Testosterone Levels
- Fibromyalgia and nutrition: Therapeutic possibilities? July 2018 (Magnesium) 10.1016/j.biopha.2018.04.056
amino acids, magnesium, selenium, vitamins B and D
- Effects of transdermal magnesium chloride on quality of life for patients with fibromyalgia: a feasibility study Sept 2016 doi: 10.1016/S2095-4964(15)60195-9
- Is magnesium citrate treatment effective on pain, clinical parameters and functional status in patients with fibromyalgia? Jan 2013 10.1007/s00296-011-2334-8
"The magnesium citrate treatment (300 mg/day) was only effective tender points and the intensity of fibromyalgia. However, it was effective on all parameters when used in combination with amitriptyline."
Overview Fibromyalgia or Chronic Fatigue and vitamin D
367418 visitors, last modified 15 Apr, 2021,This page is in the following categories (# of items in each category)
ID Name Comment Uploaded Size Downloads 14035 Impact of Fibromyalgia.pdf PDF 2020 admin 14 Jul, 2020 13:16 420.28 Kb 289 6197 Fibro Easy.jpg admin 30 Nov, 2015 03:05 75.09 Kb 41647 5032 Beyond CFS - IOM Feb 2015.pdf PDF 2015 admin 10 Feb, 2015 19:16 589.27 Kb 1875 4857 Pain level.jpg admin 11 Jan, 2015 15:47 49.55 Kb 27218 4856 Diganosis delay.jpg admin 11 Jan, 2015 14:38 58.53 Kb 28280 4462 Fibomyalgia.jpg admin 08 Oct, 2014 11:54 69.87 Kb 31597 4301 Overlap.jpg admin 20 Aug, 2014 12:04 61.41 Kb 56720 4300 Like me symptoms.jpg admin 20 Aug, 2014 11:58 30.29 Kb 28196 4299 Fibro survey comparison.jpg admin 20 Aug, 2014 11:17 45.43 Kb 33506 75 Patients Like Me Fibro.gif Patients Like Me CFS admin 10 Jun, 2010 02:44 28.17 Kb 8512
- Depression category