Recent incidence of type 1 diabetes mellitus in children 0--14 years in Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada climbs to over 45/100,000: a retrospective time trend study.
BMC Res Notes. 2012 Nov 12;5(1):628.
Newhook LA, Penney S, Fiander J, Dowden J.
BACKGROUND: To study and update the provincial incidence of type 1 diabetes mellitus (T1DM) in Newfoundland and Labrador (NL), a province of Canada with a very high incidence previously reported in 2006, and one of the highest incidences reported worldwide. This is a retrospective time trend study of the incidence of T1DM, in children aged 0 -14 years from 1987 -2010 inclusive.
Over the study period 931 children aged 0--14 years were diagnosed with T1DM.
The incidence of T1DM in this population over the period 1987 - 2010 inclusive was 37.7 per 100,000 per year (95% CI 35. 3, 40.2)
The incidence from 2007 -2010 was 49.9 per 100,000 per year (95% CI 42.2, 57.6).
The incidence over this 24 year period increased by a factor of 1.03 per 100,000 per year.
NL has one of the highest incidences of T1DM reported worldwide. Potential reasons for the very high incidence could be related to the
- unique genetic background of the population,
- northern latitude and vitamin D insufficiency,
- low breastfeeding rates, and
- high rates of cesarean section.
PDF is attached at the bottom of this page
- Overview Diabetes and vitamin D
- All items in Diabetes and Vitamin D
- Type I diabetes probability reduced 29 percent with vitamin D – systematic review July 2012
- Type I diabetes 2X more likely if mother had low vitamin D – Jan 2012
- Type I diabetes increased death if very low vitamin D - May 2011 low is < 6 ng
- Type I diabetes patients may be pissing away vitamin D – Jan 2011
- Prevent half of Type I Diabetes with vitamin D levels of 50 ng – Dec 2012
- Type 1 Diabetes associated with low vitamin D, especially in dark skinned youths – Dec 2012
- T1 Diabetes 35 percent more likely if 10 degrees further from equator (less vitamin D) – June 2014 which reported at 27% increase in a decade
- Incidence of 30 health problems related to vitamin D has doubled in a decade
- Clinical Trials for Diabetes and Vitamin D 155 trials as of Oct 2012
- Clinical Trials for Type I Diabetes and Vitamin D Intervention 76 trials as of Oct 2012