Relationship between vitamin D levels and age of menopause and reproductive lifespan: Analysis based on the National health and nutrition examination survey (NHANES) 2001–2018
FULL LENGTH ARTICLE| VOLUME 289, P183-189, OCTOBER 2023 DOI:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejogrb.2023.09.003
Tahereh Alinia, Siamak Sabour, Mahin Hashemipour, Silva Hovsepian, Homeyra Rais Pour, Shayesteh Jahanfar
To determine the association between serum vitamin D levels and age at menopause and reproductive lifespan in a group of US postmenopausal women.
Data from 6,326 postmenopausal US women in the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) database 2001–2018 were obtained. Weighted multinomial logistic regression models were used to obtain odds ratios (OR) and 95% confidence intervals (CI). Statistical analyzes were performed using SAS (version 9.4; SAS Institute), and complex survey designs were considered.
Vitamin D deficiency was associated with a higher likelihood of early menopause (OR = 1.34, 95% CI: 1.15, 1.58; p = 0.008) and lower odds of late menopause (OR = 0.79, 95% CI: 0.52, 0.95) in the unadjusted model but not in the adjusted model. Lower vitamin D levels were associated with a higher risk of a shorter reproductive lifespan. The strongest association was seen in the first tertile of vitamin D deficiency (OR = 1.54; 95% CI: 1:29–1:83). After adjustment, the associations were somewhat weakened but remained statistically significant.
The results of this study suggest that vitamin D deficiency and inadequacy might be associated with earlier age at menopause. It may also reduce the reproductive lifespan in women. Given the cross-sectional nature of the NHANES dataset, these results should be interpreted with caution due to temporality bias. Menopausal age is a multifactorial phenomenon, and the identification of factors and their interactions should be evaluated in future studies.
- Menopause is earlier in black women (low vitamin D) - Aug 2023
- Age of menopause increases if add vitamin D or UVB
- Vitamin D and menopause -A narrative review – July 2014
- Risk of early menopause reduced 17 percent by a modest amount of vitamin D – May 2017
- Many of the reasons for early menopause are associated with low vitamin D
References online (titles below)
- Early menopause, and premature ovarian insufficiency are associated with increased risk of type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
- Menstrual and reproductive factors and endometrial cancer risk: Results from a population-based case-control study in urban Shanghai.
- Age at Menopause and Risk of Developing Endometrial Cancer: A Meta-Analysis.
- Menopause and ovarian cancer risk: mechanisms and experimental support, 2(1) (2015) 14-23.
- Premature menopause or early menopause: long-term health consequences.
- Socioeconomic position, lifestyle factors and age at natural menopause: a systematic review and meta-analyses of studies across six continents.
- Oral contraceptive use in relation to age at menopause in the DOM cohort.
- Age at natural menopause and factors associated with menopause state among Puerto Rican women aged 40–59 years, living in Puerto Rico.
- Age at Menopause and Its Main Predictors among Iranian Women.
- Relation of BMI and physical activity to sex hormones in postmenopausal women.
- Early menarche, nulliparity and the risk for premature and early natural menopause.
- Relationships between intensity, duration, cumulative dose, and age of smoking with age at menopause: A pooled analysis of individual data from 17 observational studies.
- The influence of selected environmental factors on the time of natural menopause in women living in the Małopolskie voivodeship.
- Caloric restriction reduces the age at menopause: the effect of the 1944–1945 Dutch famine.
- Age at menarche and menopause, reproductive lifespan, and risk of cardiovascular events among chinese postmenopausal women: results from a large national representative cohort study.
- Reproductive lifespan in association with risk of hypertension among Chinese postmenopausal women: Results from a large representative nationwide population.
- Association between reproductive lifespan and lung function among postmenopausal women.
- Association of reproductive lifespan duration and chronic kidney disease in postmenopausal women.
- Interaction between cigarette smoking and genetic polymorphisms on the associations with the age of natural menopause and reproductive lifespan: the Singapore Chinese Health Study.
- Childhood experiences of parenting and age at menarche, age at menopause and duration of reproductive lifespan: Evidence from the English Longitudinal Study of Ageing.
- The association between vitamin D and uterine fibroids: A mendelian randomization study.
- vitamin D in the etiology and management of polycystic ovary syndrome.
- Does vitamin D level associate with pregnancy outcomes in Chinese women undergoing in vitro fertilization/intracytoplasmic sperm injection-embryo transfer?.
- The association between vitamin D levels and precocious puberty: a meta-analysis.
- Consumption of low-fat dairy products may delay natural menopause.
- vitamin D and calcium intake and risk of early menopause.
- vitamin D status is not associated with risk of early menopause.
- Age at natural menopause; A data mining approach (Data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2013–2014).
- Long-term health consequences of premature or early menopause and considerations for management.
- Age at menopause, reproductive history and venous thromboembolism risk among postmenopausal women: The Women's Health Initiative Evaluation, treatment, and prevention of vitamin D deficiency: an Endocrine Society clinical practice guideline.
- Age at natural menopause in women with a history of chronic diseases-A population-based cohort study.
- Role of vitamin D in ovarian physiology and its implication in reproduction: a systematic review.
- The role of vitamin D in reproductive dysfunction in women - a systematic review.
- High prevalence of vitamin D deficiency in Asia: A systematic review and meta-analysis.
- High prevalence of vitamin D deficiency among the South Asian adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
- vitamin D in Reproductive Health and Pregnancy.
- Current Evidence on Associations of Nutritional Factors with Ovarian Reserve and Age of Menopause: A Systematic Review.
- Dietary Protein Intake and Early Menopause in the Nurses' Health Study II.
- An Update on Ovarian Aging and Ovarian Reserve Tests.
- Dynamics of the ovarian reserve and impact of genetic and epidemiological factors on age of menopause.
- Effects of supraphysiological vitamin D(3) (cholecalciferol) supplement on normal adult rat ovarian functions.
- vitamin D and calcium, together and separately, play roles in female reproductive performance.
- Association of diet and another lifestyle with the onset of menopause in Japanese women.
- A prospective study of dairy-food intake and early menopause.
- Reproductive and dietary determinants of the age at menopause in EPIC-Heidelberg.
- Dietary and lifestyle predictors of age at natural menopause and reproductive span in the Shanghai Women's Health Study.
- The Association between vitamin D and Anti-Müllerian Hormone: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.