Vitamin D Receptor polymorphisms and risk of enveloped virus infection: A meta-analysis
Gene. 2018 Dec 15;678:384-394. doi: 10.1016/j.gene.2018.08.017. Epub 2018 Aug 6.
Laplana M1, Royo JL2, Fibla J3.
- 1 Dept of Basic Medical Sciences, University of Lleida and Institute of Biomedical Research of Lleida (IRBLleida), Lleida, Spain. marinalaplana at cmb.udl.cat.
- 2 Dept of Basic Medical Sciences, University of Lleida and Institute of Biomedical Research of Lleida (IRBLleida), Lleida, Spain.
- 3 Dept of Basic Medical Sciences, University of Lleida and Institute of Biomedical Research of Lleida (IRBLleida), Lleida, Spain. joan.fibla at cmb.udl.cat.
Items in both categories Virus and Vitamin D Receptor are listed here:
- COVID kids were more likely to have a poor VDR (4.3 X), than low Vitamin D (2.6 X) – Sept 2022
- Cancers are associated with low vitamin D, poor vaccination response and perhaps poor VDR – July 2022
- COVID 3X more likely if a poor Receptor (cells get less Vitamin D from the blood) – July 2022
- Long-COVID is now the biggest COVID concern - many studies
- COVID death 12X more likely if poor Vitamin D Receptor (less D gets to cells) - Oct 2021
- COVID severity, ICU, and mortality all associated with poor vitamin D receptor (but not D, everyone had low D) -Dec 2021
- Different Vitamin D Receptor problems cause different COVID problems - Dec 2021
- COVID-19 severity associated with 3 vitamin D genes – Oct 2021
- Poor Vitamin D receptor blocked Vitamin D from fighting avian influenza viruses (in mice) – July 2021
- Epstein-Barr is yet another virus that deactivates the Vitamin D receptor (COVID later suspected as well)– 2010
- COVID-19 symptoms and comorbidities associated with the type of Vitamin D Receptor – Oct 2021
- Enveloped virus infection (RSV, coronavirus, HIV, etc.) 1.5X more likely if poor Vitamin D Receptor – meta-analysis Dec 2018
- COVID-19 outpatients getting Quercetin nanoemulsion had excellent outcomes (Q increased Vitamin D in cells) – RCT – June 2021
- A virus that most adults have (Cytomegalovirus) decreases the amount of Vitamin D which gets to the cells – Jan 2017
- COVID virus alters the activation of 100 vitamin D related genes in the lung – April 2021
- Common sense COVID-19 risk reduction - masks, social distancing, vitamin D - Oct 2020
- AI is examining 170,000 potential COVID-19 treatments, Vitamin D is one of only 6 found – Sept 4, 2020
- Vitamin D Receptor activation should reduce ARDS associated with COVID-19 - June 2020
- Dengue viral production decreased 1000X if activate Vitamin D Receptor (in lab) – July 2020
- Vitamin D, Quercetin, and Estradiol all increase vitamin D in cells and increase genes which reduce COVID-19 – May 21, 2020
- Quercetin and Vitamin D - Allies Against COVID-19
- Risk of enveloped virus infection is increased 50 percent if poor Vitamin D Receptor - meta-analysis Dec 2018
- Hand, foot, and Mouth disease is 14X more likely if poor Vitamin D Receptor – Oct 2019
- Treating herpes reduced incidence of senile dementia by 10 X (HSV1 reduces VDR by 8X) – 2018
- Severe hand, foot, and mouth virus is 2.9 X more likely if poor Vitamin D receptor – Oct 2018
- Hepatitis B virus reduced by 5X the Vitamin D getting to liver cells in the lab – Oct 2018
- Some enveloped virus are 1.2 X more likely if have a poor Vitamin D Receptor -Aug 2018
- Severe Pertussis is 1.5 times more likely if poor vitamin D receptor – Feb 2016
- Dengue Fever associated with poor vitamin D receptor – July 2002
- Dengue virus 2X to 4X more likely if vitamin D receptor gene problems
The risk of 44 diseases at least double with poor Vitamin D Receptor as of Oct 2019
Vitamin D Receptor activation can be increased by any of: Resveratrol, Omega-3, Magnesium, Zinc, Quercetin, non-daily Vit D, Curcumin, intense exercise, Ginger, Essential oils, etc Note: The founder of VitaminDWiki uses 10 of the 12 known VDR activators
- 600,000 IU of Vitamin D (total) allowed previously weak immune systems to fight off a virus antigen - Nov 2020
COVID-19 treated by Vitamin D - studies, reports, videos
As of Sept 28 2022, the VitaminDWiki COVID page had: 34 trials, 14 trial results, 37 meta-analyses and reviews, Mortality studies see related: Governments, HealthProblems, Hospitals, Dark Skins, 26 risk factors are ALL associated with low Vit D, Recent Virus pages Fight COVID-19 with 50K Vit D weekly Vaccines Take lots of Vitamin D at first signs of COVID 116 COVID Clinical Trials using Vitamin D (08/2022)
5 most-recently changed Virus entries
Vitamin-D plays a role regulating the immune response against to viral infection. In this sense, vitamin-D deficiency may confer increased susceptibility to enveloped virus infection such as
- Dengue and
- Respiratory Syncytial virus infection, among others.
Vitamin D activity is mediated by its receptor (VDR), which acts as a transcription factor modulating the expression of genes triggering the response against viruses. To date, six major VDR polymorphisms (Cdx, A1012G, FokI, BsmI, ApaI and TaqI) have been studied in the context of viral infection susceptibility. Reported studies show controversial results probably due to statistical lack of power and population genetic differences.
AIMS: To do a systematic review of the published data and to perform a meta-analysis examining the role of six VDR polymorphisms on infection susceptibility to enveloped virus.
RESULTS: From all markers and virus considered an association of FokI polymorphism with RSV infection emerges as significant. The worldwide distribution of risk T-allele reveals a lower prevalence in African populations that runs parallel with the relative lower incidence of RSV-associated severe ALRI in children <1 year described in African samples.
CONCLUSION: The results disclose FokI polymorphism as a relevant variant capturing the association of VDR polymorphisms with viral infection.