Quercetin Directly Interacts with Vitamin D Receptor (VDR): Structural Implication of VDR Activation by Quercetin.
Biomol Ther (Seoul). 2016 Mar 1;24(2):191-8. doi: 10.4062/biomolther.2015.122.
Lee KY1, Choi HS2,3, Choi HS3, Chung KY4, Lee BJ1, Maeng HJ5, Seo MD2,3.
Vitamin D Receptor category has the following
Vitamin D tests cannot detect Vitamin D Receptor (VDR) problems
A poor VDR restricts Vitamin D from getting in the cells
It appears that 30% of the population has a poor VDR (40% of the Obese )
A poor VDR increases the risk of 52 health problems click here for details
VDR at-home test $29 - results not easily understood in 2016
There are hints that you may have inherited a poor VDR
Compensate for poor VDR by increasing one or more:
|1) Vitamin D supplement|
Sun, Ultraviolet -B
| Vitamin D in the blood |
and thus in the cells
|2) Magnesium||Vitamin D in the blood |
AND in the cells
|3) Omega-3||Vitamin D in the cells|
|4) Resveratrol||Vitamin D Receptor|
|5) Intense exercise||Vitamin D Receptor|
|6) Get prescription for VDR activator|
|Vitamin D Receptor|
|7) Quercetin (flavonoid)||Vitamin D Receptor|
|8) Zinc is in the VDR||Vitamin D Receptor|
|9) Boron||Vitamin D Receptor ?, |
|10) Essential oils e.g. ginger, curcumin||Vitamin D Receptor|
|11) Progesterone||Vitamin D Receptor|
|12) Infrequent high concentation Vitamin D|
Increases the concentration gradient
|Vitamin D in the cells|
Note: If you are not feeling enough benefit from Vitamin D, you might try increasing VDR activation. You might feel the benefit within days of adding one or more of the above
Far healthier and stronger at age 72 due to supplements Includes 6 supplements which help the VDR
See also web
- Vitamin D Receptor-Mediated Upregulation of CYP3A4 and MDR1 by Quercetin in Caco-2 cells
Jan 2016, "human intestinal Caco-2 cells"
- Effects of vitamin D and quercetin, alone and in combination, on cardiorespiratory fitness and muscle function in physically active male adults. July 2015, free PDF
"CONCLUSION: The findings obtained demonstrate that long-term vitamin D and quercetin supplementation, alone or in combination, does not improve physical performance in male adults with adequate vitamin D, testosterone, and antioxidant status."
- Risk of prostate cancer in African-American men: Evidence of mixed effects of dietary quercetin by serum vitamin D status. Sept 2015
9% less likely to have PC if have quercetin in diet (not supplement) not statistically significant
Download the PDF from VitaminDWiki
" In individuals with vitD deficiency, increased dietary quercetin showed a tendency toward lower risk of PCa (OR = 0.91, 95%CI: 0.82-1.00; P = 0.054, age-adjusted) while men with normal vitD were at elevated risk (OR = 1.23, 95%CI:1.04-1.45)."
- Quercetin supplement benefit and side effects, a flavonoid used for prostate, allergy, blood vessel health, athletic performancem Drug interactions, influence on allergy and how to best use this product without adverse reactions Feb 2017
- 22 Scientifically Proven Benefits of Quercetin Selfhacked, excellent overview,
Vitamin D is not mentioned, but it appears that all 22 items are also related to Vitamin D
1) Quercetin Protects the Brain, 2) Quercetin Might Heal Leaky Gut, 3) Quercetin is Anti-inflammatory, 4) Quercetin May be Anti-Aging, 5) Quercetin May Prevent Cancer, 6) Quercetin Reduces the Histamine Response, 7) Quercetin is Antibacterial, 8) Quercetin Limits, and Protects Against, Obesity, 9) Quercetin May Prevents and Treat Diabetes, 10) Quercetin Reduces Symptoms of Arthritis, 11) Quercetin is Good For Your Heart. 12) Quercetin May Reduce Allergies, 13) Quercetin Enhances the Immune System, 14) Quercetin is Good for Athletic Endurance, 15) Quercetin Reduces Blood Pressure, 16) Quercetin May Protect the Liver, 17) Quercetin May Protect the Kidneys
- Amazon US had 613 products with quercetin as of May 2017
- Cell-based and in silico evidence against quercetin and structurally-related flavonols as activators of vitamin D receptor. Oct 2016, PDF is available at https://www.deepdyve.com
"In conclusion, quercetin, 3-hydroxyflavone, galangin, datiscetin, kaempferol, morin, isorhamnetin, tamarixetin, myricetin, and syringetin are not agonists of rVDR, mVDR, or hVDR, as judged by cell-based and in silico evidence."
"While quercetin supplements have been promoted for prevention and treatment of cancer, "there is no reliable clinical evidence that quercetin can prevent or treat cancer in humans"."
- Quercetin and Pterostilbene Mercola April 2019
US Military studied Quercetin and developed a supplement for military personnel
Mercola form has 20 times the bioavailability, $1/day, money back quarentee
- Quercetin — A Far Better Flu Remedy Than Tamiflu Mercola Feb 2018
RCT: Folloing exercise stress test:5% viral infection if got Quercetin + Niacin + Vitamin C, 45% if not get it.
References 1, 4 Fitoterapia 2015 Oct;106:256-71, 2 Superfoodly, 100 Quercetin Foods, 3 Medicinenet.com August 30, 2013, 5 Wellness Resources November 21, 2012, 6 Life Extension February 2007, 7 Quercegen.com Scientific Studies, 8 Journal of the American Dietetic Association 2011 Apr;111(4):542-9, 9, 13 Journal of Infectious Diseases and Preventive Medicine May 24, 2014; 2: 111, 10 Journal of Medical Virology January 1985 DOI: 10.1002/jmv.1890150110, 11 Antiviral Research 2010 Nov;88(2):227-35, 12 Experimental Lung Research 2005; 31(5), 14 Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine January 2016; 9(1): 1-7, 15 Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 2016; 64(21): 4416-4425, 16 Viruses 2016 Jan; 8(1): 6, 17, 22 Virologica Sinica August 2015; 30(4): 261-268, 18, 21 Hepatology 2009 Dec;50(6):1756-64, 19 UCLA Newsroom January 6, 2010, 20 Superfoods Scientific Research, Quercetin, 23 Tenpennyimc.com Tamiflu, 24, 26 BMJ 2014;348:g2545, 25 Forbes April 10, 2014, 27 The Guardian April 10, 2014, 28 Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2014, Issue 4. Art. No.: CD008965, 29 Newsweek January 15, 2018, 30 Clin Psychopharmacol Neurosci. 2015 Aug; 13(2): 209–211, 31 The Guardian July 31, 2009, 32 Eurosurveillance July 2009; 14(30), 33 Epidemic Influenza and Vitamin September 15, 2006, 34 Epidemiology and Infection 2006 Dec;134(6):1129-40, 35 Virology Journal 2008; 5:29, 36 Archives of Internal Medicine 2009;169(4):384-390, 37 BMJ 2017; 356:i6583, 38 NPR February 16, 2017, 39 New England Journal of Medicine January 4, 2018; 378:7-9, 40 Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics 1999 Oct;22(8):530-3
|Foods containing quercetin|| Quercetin |
(mg/100g of edible portion)
|red kidney beans, raw (powdered)||603 +/- 307|
|dock like sorrel||86|
- Superfioods: red wine, green tea, kale and blueberries all have quercetin (also Brocoli - important for health)
- Quercetin WebMd
Quercetin is also in onions, green tea, apples, berries, Ginkgo biloba
Known to be safe for 500 mg twice daily for 12 week
"Quercetin might decrease how quickly the liver breaks down some medication"
- Quercetin Examine.com
- Quercetin, Vitamin D, Iron, Zinc and Thyroid Function Welness Resources 2017?
The vitamin D receptor (VDR) is a member of the nuclear receptor (NR) superfamily. The VDR binds to active vitamin D3 metabolites, which stimulates downstream transduction signaling involved in various physiological activities such as calcium homeostasis, bone mineralization, and cell differentiation. Quercetin is a widely distributed flavonoid in nature that is known to enhance transactivation of VDR target genes. However, the detailed molecular mechanism underlying VDR activation by quercetin is not well understood. We first demonstrated the interaction between quercetin and the VDR at the molecular level by using fluorecence quenching and saturation transfer difference (STD) NMR experiments. The dissociation constant (Kd) of quercetin and the VDR was 21.15 ± 4.31 µM, and the mapping of quercetin subsites for VDR binding was performed using STD-NMR. The binding mode of quercetin was investigated by a docking study combined with molecular dynamics (MD) simulation. Quercetin might serve as a scaffold for the development of VDR modulators with selective biological activities.
PMID: 26902087 PMCID: PMC4774501 DOI: 10.4062/biomolther.2015.122