Note: The study appears to be unaware of Calcidiol
Clin Cases Miner Bone Metab. 2014 Sep;11(3):185-91.
Gatta A1, Verardo A1, Di Pascoli M1, Giannini S1, Bolognesi M1.
Metabolic disturbances of bone are frequent in patients with chronic liver disease. The prevalence of osteoporosis among patients with advanced chronic liver disease is reported between 12% and 55%; it is higher in primary biliary cirrhosis. All patients with advanced liver disease should be screened for osteoporosis with a densitometry, especially if the etiology is cholestatic and in the presence of other risk factors. Clinical relevance of hepatic osteodystrophy increases after liver transplantation.
After liver transplant, a rapid loss of bone mineral density can be detected in the first 6 months, followed by stabilization and slight improvement of the values. At the time of transplantation, bone density values are very important prognostic factors. Therapy of hepatic osteodystrophy is based primarily on the control of risk factors: cessation of tobacco and alcohol assumption, reduction of caffeine ingestion, exercise, supplementation of calcium and vitamin D, limitation of drugs such as loop diuretics, corticosteroids, cholestyramine. Bisphosphonates have been proposed for the therapy of osteoporosis in patients with liver disease, particularly after liver transplantation. The possible side effects of oral administration of bisphosphonates, such as the occurrence of esophageal ulcerations, are of particular concern in patients with liver cirrhosis and portal hypertension, due to the risk of gastrointestinal hemorrhage from ruptured esophageal varices, although this risk is probably overestimated.
- Overview Liver and vitamin D
- Important interactions between the liver and vitamin D – May 2013
- Is HyD (25(OH)D) a better form of vitamin D for some animals and maybe humans with liver problems
- 400,000 IU barely raised liver transplant candidate vitamin D levels (no surprise) – March 2015
- Liver transplant needs Vitamin D (actually semi-activated, not regular) – May 2017
- Calcifediol (Calcidiol) might be a better form of Vitamin D for some people – May 2019
- Search for Fatty Liver in VitaminDWiki 563 items May 2019
- Types of Vitamin D