Table of contents
- High-dose vitamin D versus placebo to prevent complications in COVID-19 patients: Multicentre randomized controlled clinical trial
- Perhaps adding vitamin D did not help because both groups already had 30 ng of Vitamin D
- Perhaps people with COVID in Argentina have wait longer before going to the hospital
- VitaminDWiki -
20 studies in both categories Virus and Loading Dose
- VitaminDWiki – COVID-19 treated by Vitamin D - studies, reports, videos
High-dose vitamin D versus placebo to prevent complications in COVID-19 patients: Multicentre randomized controlled clinical trial
PLoS One. 2022 May 27;17(5):e0267918. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0267918.
Javier Mariani 1 2, Laura Antonietti 1 2, Carlos Tajer 1 2, León Ferder 3, Felipe Inserra 3, Milagro Sanchez Cunto 4, Diego Brosio 5, Fernando Ross 6, Marcelo Zylberman 7, Daniel Emilio López 8, Cecilia Luna Hisano 9, Sebastián Maristany Batisda 1, Gabriela Pace 10, Adrián Salvatore 11, Jimena Fernanda Hogrefe 12, Marcela Turela 13, Andrés Gaido 14, Beatriz Rodera 15, Elizabeth Banega 16, María Eugenia Iglesias 17, Mariela Rzepeski 18, Juan Manuel Gomez Portillo 19, Magalí Bertelli 4, Andrés Vilela 6, Leandro Heffner 7, Verónica Laura Annetta 5, Lucila Moracho 4, Maximiliano Carmona 11, Graciela Melito 3, María José Martínez 1, Gloria Luna 1, Natalia Vensentini 1, Walter Manucha 20
Background: The role of oral vitamin D3 supplementation for hospitalized patients with COVID-19 remains to be determined. The study was aimed to evaluate whether vitamin D3 supplementation could prevent respiratory worsening among hospitalized patients with COVID-19.
Methods and findings: We designed a multicentre, randomized, double-blind, sequential, placebo-controlled clinical trial. The study was conducted in 17 second and third level hospitals, located in four provinces of Argentina, from 14 August 2020 to 22 June 2021. We enrolled 218 adult patients, hospitalized in general wards with SARS-CoV-2 confirmed infection, mild-to-moderate COVID-19 and risk factors for disease progression. Participants were randomized to a single oral dose of 500 000 IU of vitamin D3 or matching placebo. Randomization ratio was 1:1, with permuted blocks and stratified for study site, diabetes and age (≤60 vs >60 years). The primary outcome was the change in the respiratory Sepsis related Organ Failure Assessment score between baseline and the highest value recorded up to day 7. Secondary outcomes included the length of hospital stay; intensive care unit admission; and in-hospital mortality. Overall, 115 participants were assigned to vitamin D3 and 105 to placebo (mean [SD] age, 59.1 [10.7] years; 103 [47.2%] women). There were no significant differences in the primary outcome between groups (median [IQR] 0.0 [0.0-1.0] vs 0.0 [0.0-1.0], for vitamin D3 and placebo, respectively; p = 0.925). Median [IQR] length of hospital stay was not significantly different between vitamin D3 group (6.0 [4.0-9.0] days) and placebo group (6.0 [4.0-10.0] days; p = 0.632). There were no significant differences for intensive care unit admissions (7.8% vs 10.7%; RR 0.73; 95% CI 0.32 to 1.70; p = 0.622), or in-hospital mortality (4.3% vs 1.9%; RR 2.24; 95% CI 0.44 to 11.29; p = 0.451). There were no significant differences in serious adverse events (vitamin D3 = 14.8%, placebo = 11.7%).
Conclusions: Among hospitalized patients with mild-to-moderate COVID-19 and risk factors, a single high oral dose of vitamin D3 as compared with placebo, did not prevent the respiratory worsening.
Download the PDF from VitaminDWiki
"Baseline measurements,were 32.5 ng/ml (IQR 27.2 to 44.2) and 30.5 ng/ml "
Note: Only 16 patients had their vitamin D levels measured
Early COVID treatments must be taken as soon as possible
- COVID-19 risk reduction by early treatment: 5X Vitamin D – Oct 8, 2021
- Review of Early Treatments of COVID-19 (within a few days of symptoms)
9 days after onset The average efficacy drops to zero
Do COVID patients in Argentina wait 7 days before going to the hospital?
Take lots of Vitamin D at first signs of COVID do not wait for 7 days!!
20 studies in both categories Virus and Loading Dose
This list is automatically updated
- Treat COVID with early high-dose Vitamin D (20th as of June 2022)
- 400,000 IU of vitamin D 3 days after COVID symptoms reduced 14 day mortality by 3X – Annweiler RCT May 2022
- Patients hospitalized with COVID not helped by 500,000 IU of Vitamin D – RCT – May 2022
- Loading dose of Vitamin D for patients hospitalized with COVID (140,000 IU) – RCT completed 2021
- COVID Ventilation 2X less likely if 200,000 IU of Vitamin D when enter hospital – May 2022
- FLCCC COVID guidelines now include vitamin D loading doses - Jan 2022
- Take lots of Vitamin D at first signs of COVID
- Rapid Vitamin D Delivery May Result in Better COVID Outcomes - Dec 9, 2021
- French recommended 200,000 IU of Vitamin D to stop COVID-19 - Jan 2021
- COVID-19 mortality reduced 4X (chart looks like 2X) by large, infrequent doses of Vitamin D in France – July 2021
- 600,000 IU of Vitamin D helped 26 out of 28 COVID-19 patients in ICU (Brazil and Bolivia) June 2021
- Infectious Mononucleosis (virus) and Vitamin D - many studies
- Those getting high dose vitamin D were 7 X less likely to die of COVID-19 - Dec 11, 2020
- COVID-19 Vitamin D: Overview by Dr. in Sri Lanka (Video and transcript) - Dec 8, 2020
- Vitamin D has eliminated ICU COVID-19 in hospital in Dubai since June - Sept 26, 2020
- Severe COVID-19 not fought by vitamin D when given too late - RCT Nov 18, 2020
- COVID-19 defeated 3x faster by 420,000 IU Vitamin D nanoemulsion – RCT Nov 12, 2020
- French National Academy recommended 100,000 IU of Vitamin D to elderly to fight COVID-19 - May 2020
- Residents of a Nursing Home who choose monthly Vitamin D had 4X fewer COVID-19 deaths – Nov 2, 2020
- Cerebral malaria deaths prevented by loading dose of vitamin D (mice) – Sept 2018
VitaminDWiki – COVID-19 treated by Vitamin D - studies, reports, videos
As of August 16, 2022, the VitaminDWiki page had: 34 trials, 14 trial results, 37 meta-analyses and reviews, 69 observations, 38 recommendations, 55 associations, 89 speculations, 58 videos, 48 Mortality studies see related: Governments, HealthProblems, Hospitals, Dark Skins, 26 risk factors are ALL associated with low Vit D, Recent Virus pages Fight COVID-19 with 50K Vit D weekly Vaccines Take lots of Vitamin D at first signs of COVID 116 COVID Clinical Trials using Vitamin D (08/2022)
5 most-recently changed Virus entriesPatients hospitalized with COVID not helped by 500,000 IU of Vitamin D – RCT – May 2022
263 visitors, last modified 01 Jun, 2022,