Vitamin D and bisphosphonates therapies for osteoporosis are associated with different risks of atrial fibrillation in women: A nationwide population-based analysis
Medicine: October 2018 - Vol 97 - # 43 - p e12947, doi: 10.1097/MD.0000000000012947
Yang, Hung-Yu, MD, MSa,b,c; Huang, Jen-Hung, MDa,c; Chiu, Hung-Wen, PhDb,*; Lin, Yung-Kuo, MD, PhDa,c; Hsu, Chien-Yeh, PhDd,e; Chen, Yi-Jen, MD, PhDa,f,*
Observation of 20,788 female osteoporosis patients,
525 received bisphosphonates, 354 received vitamin D (dose size unknown)
Overview Osteoporosis and vitamin D contains the following summary
- FACT: Bones need Calcium (this has been known for a very long time)
- FACT: Vitamin D improves Calcium bioavailability (3X ?)
- FACT: Should not take > 750 mg of Calcium if taking lots of vitamin D (Calcium becomes too bio-available)
- FACT: Adding vitamin D via Sun, UV, or supplements increased vitamin D in the blood
- FACT: Vitamin D supplements are very low cost
- FACT: Many trials, studies. reviews, and meta-analysis agree: adding vitamin D reduces osteoporosis
- FACT: Toxic level of vitamin D is about 4X higher than the amount needed to reduce osteoporosis
- FACT: Co-factors help build bones.
- FACT: Vitamin D Receptor can restrict Vitamin D from getting to many tissues, such as bones
- It appears that to TREAT Osteoporosis:
- Calcium OR vitamin D is ok
- Calcium + vitamin D is good
- Calcium + vitamin D + other co-factors is great
- Low-cost Vitamin D Receptor activators sometimes may be helpful
- CONCLUSION: To PREVENT many diseases, including Osteoporosis, as well as TREAT Osteoporosis
- Category Osteoporosis has
- Category Bone Health has
Note: Osteoporosis causes bones to become fragile and prone to fracture
Osteoarthritis is a disease where damage occurs to the joints at the end of the bones
Osteoporosis category includes the following
192 items in category - see also Overview Osteoporosis and vitamin D
- Overview Fractures and vitamin D
- Bone - Health
- Search BMD OR Bone Mineral Density 3250 results as of July 2020
- Search VitaminDWiki for OSTEOPENIA 1740 items as of July 2020
11 articles are in both Osteroporosis and Vitamin D Receptor categories 8 articles are in both Osteroporosis and Meta-analysis categories
Osteoporosis and atrial fibrillation (AF) are common in post-menopausal women. Vitamin D and bisphosphonates are widely used to treat osteoporosis, and these may have different effects on the risk of AF.
The goal of this study was to evaluate whether different agents for treating osteoporosis modulate the risk of AF in a population-based database.
We identified 20,788 female patients suffering from osteoporosis who were or were not treated with vitamin D or bisphosphonates using the Taiwan National Health Insurance nationwide database from 2000 to 2008 and followed them up for 5 consecutive years to determine if they had a new diagnosis of AF after the diagnosis of osteoporosis.
There were 14 (2.67%) new AF diagnoses in osteoporosis patients treated with bisphosphonates, one (0.28%) new AF diagnosis in patients treated with vitamin D, and 279 (1.40%) new AF diagnoses in patients who were not treated with vitamin D or bisphosphonates (neither group). Osteoporosis patients who received bisphosphonates showed a higher incidence of AF occurrence than those that were not treated with bisphosphonates (P = .015). In contrast, 1 patient who received vitamin D had a new diagnosis of AF during the study period; thus, the incidence was significantly lower than that in the patients treated with bisphosphonates (P = .007). In addition, the patients who were treated with vitamin D had a lower incidence of AF than did those who were not treated with either vitamin D or bisphosphonates (P = .074). Kaplan–Meier analysis also showed a significant difference in AF occurrence in different groups during the 5-year follow-up (P = .010).
Different treatment for osteoporosis may carry diverse risks of AF occurrence. Vitamin D may have potential beneficial effects of reducing AF occurrence in osteoporosis patients.Osteoporosis treatment with Vitamin D – far healthier and 10X fewer afib events (vs bisphosphonates) – Oct 2018
1560 visitors, last modified 30 Oct, 2018,This page is in the following categories (# of items in each category)Osteoporosis 192
ID Name Comment Uploaded Size Downloads 10762 Vitamin_D_and_bisphosphonates_therapies.pdf PDF 2018 admin 30 Oct, 2018 22:27 454.05 Kb 389 10761 afib osteo.jpg admin 30 Oct, 2018 22:26 15.82 Kb 334 10760 Vit D group had far fewer health problems F3.jpg admin 30 Oct, 2018 22:20 86.55 Kb 394
- Category Bone Health has