It costs Big Pharma billions of dollars to develop a drug and they can be sued if it harms
|Product||Development time||Risk of being sued|
|Drug||Many years of testing||High risk|
|Vaccine||Short test time||Indemnified in US since 1986|
Note: many drug companies are trying to extend the indemnfication to cover fast-tracked vaccines as well (for Ebola - fall 2014)
- Mercola Nov 2014
- Why Vaccine Choice? from web Nov 2014
It should not be overlooked that vaccines have become the most lucrative segment of the giant pharma industry.
Vaccines are made and marketed by the very same companies that make pills and spend over $50 billion on product promotion.
The difference is that with vaccines, doctors and drug makers have been indemnified by the US government for all product liability.
- Off Topic:Largest employeer in most states is Health Care has the following
From 1998 to 2013, Big Pharma spent nearly $2.7 billion on lobbying expenses
42 % more than the second highest paying industry: insurance.
- "Recent surveys reveal that 20 percent of Americans think vaccines may be unsafe and 45 percent are not sure."
- :There has been almost a 10 percent decline in public confidence in vaccine safety over the past decade:
- "There are only two laws that require American citizens to risk their lives."
- Miltary Draft
- state law requiring all healthy children to risk their lives in a war that doctors declared on microbes two centuries ago
- "..Congress gave doctors a broad liability shield in 1987 similar to the one they gave to vaccine manufacturers in 1986 to protect them from most vaccine injury lawsuits"
US govt has so far paid out $4 billion - but manufactures and doctors have paid out $0