Are You Trading Heartburn for a Heart Attack? GreenMedInfo
- PPI = (proton pump inhibitor) block acid production in the stomach to reduce or eliminate heartburn.
- PPI are prescribed primarily for gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- 21 million people use PPI in the US
- Study looked at Prilosec, Prevacid, Protonix, Nexium, Aciphex, and Dexilant
- Looked at 1.4 million patient records
- 122 % more likely to die of cardiovascular disease with PPI
(previous study found that VIOX increased cardiovascular death by 3X, vs 2X for PPI)
- PPI were linked to hip fracture in 2006
Long term use of PPI increased risk of hip fracture by 160%
- ". . $10 billion dollars annually, drugs like Nexium, Prilosec, Prevacid, and others, represent a significant chunk of Big Pharma’s profits"
- "Despite clinical research that shows an act as simple as drinking more water reduces stomach acid more than these drugs. . "
Green Med Info June 2012
A study in 2008 measured the timeneeded to increase gastric pH >4:
(in 10/12 subjects)
- A comparative study of the antacid effect of some commonly consumed foods for hyperacidity in an artificial stomach model Oct 2017
cold milk and broccoli are better than water
- Category: Drug interactions with Vitamin D has
- Drugs that may harm bone (vitamin D needed) -April 2016
- Acid Reflux drugs decrease Vitamin D and Magnesium – Jan 2013Off Topic: Taking a PPI for GERD increases chance of death from heart disease by 2X– Aug 2015
2307 visitors, last modified 18 Jan, 2018,This page is in the following categories (# of items in each category)