22,157 Australian adults hospitalized with a TIA from July 1, 2000, to June 30, 2007,
At 10 years after TIA the death rate was about 2X higher than those of same age, etc.
Congestive heart failure more than tripled it. = 6X
Prior hospitalization for stroke more than doubled it, = 4X
while a type of irregular heart rhythm called atrial fibrillation doubled it. = 4X
As of Nov 2011 no apparent studies of TIA and Vitamin D
- Vitamin D to prevent the TIA
- Vitamin D to treat the TIA
However, note from: Transient Ischemic Attack NIH
- high blood pressure, cigarette smoking, heart disease, carotid artery disease, diabetes, and heavy use of alcohol.
- ALL of which either cause or are related to low levels of vitamin D
- Overview Stroke and vitamin D
- All items in category Stroke
- Heart disease, stroke, ...all linked to insufficient vitamin D levels LEF 2009 75% more likely to have a stroke
- Death within 2 years of surviving an ischemic stroke 10X less likely if high vitamin D – July 2017
- Stroke 74% less likely if high vitamin D (7,295 women 20-50 years old) – July 2017
- Risk of Ischemic Stroke doubles if take more than 1 gram of Calcium daily for years – May 2017
- Calcium without vitamin D increased heart risk by 30 percent - Jan 2011 and stroke by 20%
- All items in Surgery and Trauma
Much higher death rate 10 years after TIA – Nov 2011 – vitamin D might help
- "marginally significant relationship between levels below 20 ng/mL and a composite of stroke or transient ischemic attack in a minimally adjusted model (HR 1.44, 95% CI 1.00-2.08)"
-  Download the PDF of the study from VitaminDWiki
2865 visitors, last modified 21 Aug, 2017,This page is in the following categories (# of items in each category)