Manifestations of Severe Vitamin D Deficiency in Adolescents: Effects of Intramuscular Injection of a Megadose of Cholecalciferol.
Soliman AT, Adel A, Wagdy M, Alali M, Aziz Bedair EM.
Department of Pediatrics, Hamad Medical Center, PO Box 3050, Doha, Qatar.
We recorded the manifestations of severe vitamin D deficiency (VDD) in 40 adolescents before and 3 and 6 months after treatment with a mega dose of cholecalciferol (10 000 IU kg(-1), max 600 000 IU). Significant improvement of symptoms related to VDD was reported in 34/40. Three months after the injection, serus calcium, phosphate, alkaline phosphatase and parathormone were normal in all adolescents with VDD with 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25OHD) level = or >20 ng ml(-1).
After 6 months, the majority had 25OHD level <20 ng ml(-1). Two patterns of radiological changes have been recorded with complete healing achieved in all patients after a year of therapy. A mega dose of cholecalciferol is an effective therapy for treatment of VDD in adolescents for 3 months but not for 6 months. Radiographs of the ends of long bones are still valuable tool for diagnosis and follow-up of these patients. PMID: 20427425
- All items in category Megadose/Loading Dose and Vitamin D
- Severely deficient children had huge benefit from single huge dose of vitamin D – Sept 2012
- Rickets cured in children for 3 months with 10,000 IU per kg vitamin D (600,000 IU max) – Sept 2012 by Soliman
- Review of Vitamin D (including free, frequency, injection, how much.) – Sept 2013
- Overview Loading of vitamin D which includes the following chart
14736 visitors, last modified 10 Mar, 2017, URL: