If You Tear a Knee Ligament, Arthritis Is Likely to Follow in 10 Years New York Times Nov 2017
- “In 2004, there were about 500 A.C.L. operations at those hospitals; in 2014, there were more than 2,500, he reports.” 5X increase in ACL
Doubt that there was a 5X increase in people playing soccer/football
- ". . .10 to 15 years after A.C.L. surgery. Seventy-four percent developed arthritis that could be seen on X-rays"
- ". . . chance of getting arthritis within a decade of tearing a tendon or a ligament in the knee is greater than 50 percent"
- " . . .up to 40 percent of those who dislocate a shoulder get arthritis within about 15 years"
- ACL knee tears 1.8X more likely in 2 years if low Vitamin D – April 2023
- Teenage knee injury 4X increase in last decade in Philadelphia – Oct 2011
Lower vitamin D => slower muscle response => knee injury
- Knee osteoarthritis treated with vitamin D, weekly 50,000 IU – May 2015
- Probability of knee osteoarthritis up 50 percent if 20 ng less vitamin D – Nov 2011
- I needed more than Vitamin D to treat my knee osteoarthritis
- Reduced knee osteoarthritis if consistently supplement with vitamin D for 2 years – April 2017