Dig Dis Sci. 2015 Jun 2. [Epub ahead of print]
Torki M1, Gholamrezaei A, Mirbagher L, Danesh M, Kheiri S, Emami MH
1Department of Internal Medicine, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran, rzenderoud at yahoo.com.
Evidence exists on the association between vitamin D deficiency and inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD).
To investigate whether vitamin D level is associated with disease activity and quality of life in IBD patients.
This cross-sectional study was conducted on known adult IBD patients referred to an outpatient clinic of gastroenterology in Isfahan city, Iran. Disease activity was evaluated using the Simplified Crohn's Disease Activity Index and Simple Clinical Colitis Activity Index. Quality of life was assessed with the Short-Inflammatory Bowel Disease Questionnaire. Serum 25[OH]D was measured using the radioimmunoassay method. Vitamin D deficiency and insufficiency were defined as concentration of <50 and 50-75 nmol/L, respectively.
Studied subjects were 85 ulcerative colitis and 48 Crohn's disease patients (54.1 % females) with mean age of 42.0 ± 14.0 years. Vitamin D deficiency and insufficiency were present in 52 (39.0 %) and 24 (18.0 %) patients, respectively. Thirty patients (22.5 %) had active disease who, compared with patients in remission, had more frequent low vitamin D levels (80 vs. 50.4 %, P = 0.005). Quality of life was not different between patients with low and those with normal vitamin D levels (P = 0.693). In the logistic regression model, low vitamin D was independently associated with active disease status, OR (95 % CI) = 5.959 (1.695-20.952).
We found an association between vitamin D deficiency/insufficiency and disease activity in IBD patients. Prospective cohorts and clinical trials are required to clarify the role of vitamin D deficiency and its treatment in clinical course of IBD.
Overview Gut and vitamin D
The TOP articles in Gut and Vitamin D are listed here:
- Gut is helped by Vitamin D – Sept 2017
- Gut problems associated with low vitamin D – invited review Dec 2015
- Vitamin D sprayed inside cheeks 2X more response (poor gut) – RCT Oct 2015
- Gut microbiome massively changed by high dose vitamin D – July 2015
- Vitamin D and Inflammatory Bowel Disease – review April 2015
- Inflammatory diseases: review of vitamin D, with many tables – May 2014
- Inflammatory bowel diseases are helped by vitamin D – commissioned review Nov 2013
- Reasons for low response to vitamin D