People with high levels of Vitamin D have been proven to gain less weight
30% of the women given enough vitamin D supplements actually lost weight without calorie restriction, exercise.etc
Colorado 6,800 ft; Wyoming 6,700 ft; Utah 6,100 ft; New Mexico 5,700 ft; Nevada 5,500 ft
50 years ago, people closer to the equator had far less MS (they got more UV and thus more vitamin D)
Recently we can see that the difference in disease with latitude has gone away
MS association with latitude has virtually been eliminated- Lancet chart June 2010
States closer to the equator have as much or more UV, but people often stay out of the hot sun by using air conditioning
Due to their high altitude Colorado, gets the most UV/vitamin D with the least amount of heat of all of the states.
Utah (6,100') has even lower hip fracture rates than Colorado
(Mormons don't drink, and smoke very little)
Lima = 5080 feet, 12deg S latitude.
25 degrees C = 77 degrees F
- If living in a hot climate, you can make a heat shield which blocks all of the heat and light of the sun, but does not block the UVB
- Buy and use a UVB light
- Wear a tan-thru shirt to get more vitamin D from your time in the sun
- Take a suncation (Vacation in a sunny climate)
- Take Vitamin D supplements - which is the lowest cost option
Vitamin D deficiency in the sunshine state
Nephrol Nurs J. 2013 Jul-Aug;40(4):305-10, 327; quiz 311.
Pasupala U, Hain D, Paixao R, Barrera Nŕ, Kernan W.
Cleveland Clinic Florida, Department of Hypertension/Nephrology, Weston, FL, USA.
Vitamin D is well known for its skeletal and extraskeletal benefits. Chronic kidney disease (CKD), even in the early stages, may predispose patients to vitamin D deficiency, which may result in deleterious effects. Understanding the prevalence of vitamin D deficiency in the CKD population living in southern areas of the United States may help in early identification and implementation of preventative strategies.
PMID: 24175439 Details not available - probably behind a paywall
- Melanoma not as thick if recently had a sunny vacation – Nov 2013
- Does less sun mean more disease? video by VitaminDWiki - 5 minutes (2014)
- Other places with high UVB due to high altitude high up in the Andes, for example
- Cancer Mortality in Six Lowest Versus Six Highest Elevation Jurisdictions in the U.S. Hart 2011
Authors were expecting more deaths due to radiation with increased altitude. No mention of UV or Ultraviolet
- Land Elevation and Cancer Mortality in U.S. Cities and Counties Using Median Elevations Derived from Geographic Information Systems Hart 2013
later study by Hart of cities rather than states had the same conclusion - higher altitude - healthier
- Revisiting the association between altitude and mortality in dialysis patients Jan 2014
those residing in the highest altitude strata (≥6000 ft) had a lower all-cause mortality risk in fully adjusted analyses: death hazard ratio: 0.92
That is: 8% less likely to die
- Vitamin D, the Sun and sporting success - Sir Alex Ferguson's view Dr. Grimes blog post Sept 2013
Notes that Ethiopia, with many sports stars has a very high altitude ( 4,200 - 9,800 feet) = lots of UV and thus vitamin D
- [http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/26/science/unraveling-the-ties-of-altitude-oxygen-and-lung-cancer.html?_r=0|Unraveling the Ties of Altitude, Oxygen and Lung Cancer| NYT Jan 2016
Does not notice the UV connection nor other iproved health categories.
Short url = http://is.gd/coloradouv