Vitamin D supplementation is associated with improved modulation of cardiac autonomic tone in healthy humans
International Journal of Cardiology, Volume 172, Issue 2 , Pages 506-508, 15 March 2014
M.C. Mann, D.V. Exner, B.R. Hemmelgarn, T.C. Turin, D.Y. Sola, L. Ellis, S.B. Ah Sofia.Ahmed at albertahealthservices.ca
Reported in NutraIngredients
A daily vitamin D dose of 5,000 IU for 28 days was associated with maintenance of the so-called sympatho-vagal balance, or the interaction between the sympathetic nervous system and the vagus nerve
- Deo R, Katz R, Shlipak MG, et al. Vitamin D, parathyroid hormone, and sudden cardiac death: results from the Cardiovascular Health Study. Hypertension. 2011;58:1021–1028, CrossRef
- Drechsler C, Pilz S, Obermayer-Pietsch B, et al. Vitamin D deficiency is associated with sudden cardiac death, combined cardiovascular events, and mortality in haemodialysis patients. Eur Heart J. 2010;31:2253–2261, CrossRef
- Dobnig H, Pilz S, Scharnagl H, et al. Independent association of low serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D and 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D levels with all-cause and cardiovascular mortality. Arch Intern Med. 2008;168:1340–1349, CrossRef
- Goldberger JJ, Cain ME, Hohnloser SH, et al. American Heart Association/American College of Cardiology Foundation/Heart Rhythm Society scientific statement on noninvasive risk stratification techniques for identifying patients at risk for sudden cardiac death: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association Council on Clinical Cardiology Committee on Electrocardiography and Arrhythmias and Council on Epidemiology and Prevention. Circulation. 2008;118:1497–1518, CrossRef
- Huikuri HV, Exner DV, Kavanagh KM, et al. Attenuated recovery of heart rate turbulence early after myocardial infarction identifies patients at high risk for fatal or near-fatal arrhythmic events. Heart Rhythm. 2010;7:229–235; AbstractFull Text Full-Text PDF (285 KB) CrossRef
- Thadhani R, Appelbaum E, Pritchett Y, et al. Vitamin D therapy and cardiac structure and function in patients with chronic kidney disease: the PRIMO randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2012;307:674–684, CrossRef
- Holick MF, Binkley NC, Bischoff-Ferrari HA, et al. Evaluation, treatment, and prevention of vitamin D deficiency: an Endocrine Society clinical practice guideline. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011;96:1911–1930, CrossRef
- Weishaar RE, Simpson RU. Vitamin D3 and cardiovascular function in rats. J Clin Invest. 1987;79:1706–1712; MEDLINECrossRef
- Borges AC, Feres T, Vianna LM, Paiva TB. Effect of cholecalciferol treatment on the relaxant responses of spontaneously hypertensive rat arteries to acetylcholine. Hypertension. 1999;34:897–901. CrossRef
- Tishkoff DX, Nibbelink KA, Holmberg KH, Dandu L, Simpson RU. Functional vitamin D receptor (VDR) in the t-tubules of cardiac myocytes: VDR knockout cardiomyocyte contractility. Endocrinology. 2008;149:558–564, CrossRef
Vitamin D Levels Are Associated with Cardiac Autonomic Activity in Healthy Humans
(Previous study, many of the same authors)
Nutrients 2013, 5(6), 2114-2127; doi:10.3390/nu5062114
Michelle C. Mann 1email, Derek V. Exner 2email, Brenda R. Hemmelgarn 1email, Darlene Y. Sola 2email, Tanvir C. Turin 2email, Linda Ellis 2email and Sofia B. Ahmed 1,* email
1 University of Calgary, 1403 29th St. NW, Calgary, AB T2N 2T9, Canada
2 Libin Cardiovascular Institute of Alberta, 3330 Hospital Dr. NW, Calgary, AB T2N 2T9, Canada
Received: 11 April 2013; in revised form: 29 May 2013 / Accepted: 3 June 2013 / Published: 10 June 2013
(This article belongs to the Special Issue Vitamin D and Human Health)
PDF Full-text Download PDF Full-Text [254 KB, uploaded 10 June 2013 13:48 CEST]
Vitamin D deficiency (≤50nmol/L 25-hydroxy vitamin D) is a cardiovascular (CV) risk factor that affects approximately one billion people worldwide, particularly those affected by chronic kidney disease (CKD). Individuals with CKD demonstrate abnormal cardiac autonomic nervous system activity, which has been linked to the significant rates of CV-related mortality in this population. Whether vitamin D deficiency has a direct association with regulation of cardiac autonomic activity has never been explored in humans.
Methods: Thirty-four (34) healthy, normotensive subjects were studied and categorized based on 25-hydroxy vitamin D deficiency (deficient vs. non-deficient, n = 7 vs. 27), as well as 1,25-dihydroxy vitamin D levels (above vs. below 25th percentile, n = 8 vs. 26). Power spectral analysis of electrocardiogram recordings provided measures of cardiac autonomic activity across low frequency (LF) and high frequency (HF, representative of vagal contribution) bands, representative of the sympathetic and vagal limbs of the autonomic nervous system when transformed to normalized units (nu), respectively, as well as overall cardiosympathovagal balance (LF:HF) during graded angiotensin II (AngII) challenge (3 ng/kg/min × 30 min, 6 ng/kg/min × 30 min).
Results: At baseline, significant suppression of sympathovagal balance was observed in the 25-hydroxy vitamin D-deficient participants (LF:HF, p = 0.02 vs. non-deficient), although no other differences were observed throughout AngII challenge. Participants in the lowest 1,25-dihydroxy VD quartile experienced significant withdrawal of inhibitory vagal control, as well as altered overall sympathovagal balance throughout AngII challenge (HF, mean difference = −6.98 ± 3 nu, p = 0.05; LF:HF, mean difference = 0.34 ± 0.1, p = 0.043 vs. above 25th percentile).
Conclusions: Vitamin D deficiency is associated with suppression of resting cardiac autonomic activity, while low 1,25-dihydroxy vitamin D levels are associated with unfavourable cardiac autonomic activity during an acute AngII stressor, offering a potential pathophysiological mechanism that may be acting to elevate CV risk in in populations with low vitamin D status.
PDF is attached at the bottom of this page
- "heart rate variability" Many hits on Google on HRV 1,300,000 as of March 2014
I looked into the science of HRV around 2005 - Increased HRV predicts heart problems such as AFIB and strokes - Henry Lahore