Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2012 Jun 1.
Burris HH, Rifas-Shiman SL, Kleinman K, Litonjua AA, Huh SY, Rich-Edwards JW, Camargo CA Jr, Gillman MW.
Department of Neonatology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA; Division of Newborn Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Children's Hospital Boston, Boston, MA.
We examined the association of second-trimester maternal plasma 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25OHD) during pregnancy with gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM).
Among 1314 pregnant women who participated in Project Viva, a birth cohort study, we measured 25(OH)D levels at 26-28 weeks gestation during GDM screening using a 1-hour 50-g glucose challenge test.
We found 25(OH)D levels of <25 nmol/L in 44 of 1087 women (4.0%) with normal glucose tolerance, 9 of 159 women (5.7%) with impaired glucose tolerance, and 9 of 68 women (13.2%) with GDM.
Analyses that were adjusted for sociodemographics, season, maternal body mass index, gestational weight gain, and dietary factors suggested that women with 25(OH)D levels of <25 vs ?25 nmol/L may have higher odds of experiencing GDM (odds ratio, 2.2; 95% confidence interval, 0.8-5.5). Glucose levels after the glucose challenge test were associated inversely with 25(OH)D levels (P < .01).
Second-trimester 25(OH)D levels were associated inversely with glucose levels after 1-hour 50-g glucose challenge test; low 25(OH)D levels may be associated with increased risk of GDM.
Copyright © 2012 Mosby, Inc. All rights reserved.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- Google Search for "gestational diabetes" in VitaminDWiki 136 items Nov 2012
- Overview Pregnancy and Vitamin D
- Overview Women and Vitamin D
- 300,000 IU loading dose of vitamin D stopped gestational diabetes in RCT – Oct 2011
- Gestational diabetes 60 percent more likely below 20 ng of vitamin D – meta-analysis Feb 2012
- Low First-Trimester Vitamin D Predicts Gestational Diabetes WebMD Oct 2012
risk for GDM increased by 40% for each standard deviation decrease in 25OHD level