Cell Physiol Biochem. 2018;45(1):291-300. doi: 10.1159/000486810. Epub 2018 Jan 19.
Hu L1,2, Zhang Y3, Wang X2, You L2, Xu P2, Cui X2, Zhu L2, Ji C2, Guo X2, Wen J2.
- Gestational Diabetes – increased risk if poor Vitamin D Receptor – Meta-Analysis Jan 2021
- Vitamin D treats Gestational Diabetes, decreases hospitalization and newborn complications – meta-analysis March 2019
- Gestational Diabetes 39 percent more likely if insufficient Vitamin D – Meta-analysis March 2018
- Gestational Diabetes Mellitus 1.5X more likely if low vitamin D – meta-analysis Oct 2015
- Gestational diabetes 60 percent more likely below 20 ng of vitamin D – meta-analysis Feb 2012
Whether maternal vitamin D deficiency is associated with gestational diabetes remains controversial. This meta-analysis aimed to systematically evaluate published evidence on the association between maternal vitamin D status and the risk of gestational diabetes.
We retrieved relevant articles from the PubMed, Medline and Embase databases up to May 2017 for observational studies investigating the association between vitamin D status and the risk of gestational diabetes. Odds ratios (OR) or risk ratios (RR) from individual studies were pooled using the fixed and random effect models.
The meta-analysis of 29 observational studies included 28,982 participants, of which 4,634 were diagnosed with gestational diabetes, and showed that
- maternal vitamin D insufficiency was associated with a significantly increased risk of gestational diabetes by 39% (pooled OR = 1.39, 95%CI = 1.20-1.60) with moderate heterogeneity (I2 = 50.2%; P = 0.001).
Moreover, the 25(OH)D level was significantly lower in gestational diabetes cases than in controls with a pooled effect of -4.79 nmol/L (95% CI = -6.43, -3.15). Significant heterogeneity was also detected (I2 = 65.0%, P < 0.001). Further subgroup analysis indicated that this association was also evident in most subpopulations.
This meta-analysis indicated a significant association between vitamin D insufficiency and increased risk of gestational diabetes. Further well-designed large-scale clinical trials are essential to verify this association.
PMID: 29402818 DOI: 10.1159/000486810