Eur J Endocrinol. 2011 Dec 14.
Sohl E, van Schoor N, De Jongh R, de Vries OJ, Lips P. p.lips at vumc.nl
E Sohl, Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, VU University Medical Center, EMGO institute, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
OBJECTIVE: Vitamin D deficiency and polypharmacy are common in the elderly. However, knowledge on the associations between the use of specific medicines and serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25(OH)D) is limited. The aim of this study was to (better) define the associations between the use of specific medicines and serum 25(OH)D.
METHODS: Two different cohorts (1995/1996 and 2002/2003) from the Longitudinal Aging Study Amsterdam (LASA) were used for cross-sectional analyses. LASA is based on an age and sex-stratified random sample of the Dutch older population. Study participants were aged 65-88 years in the first cohort (n=1301) and 55-65 years in the second cohort (n=736). Serum 25(OH)D of users of several groups of medicines were compared with levels of non-users using multiple linear regression analysis.
RESULTS: Of all participants, 75.4% (first cohort) and 61.1% (second cohort) were using at least one medicine. In both cohorts, the number of medicines was associated with lower serum 25(OH)D. In the first cohort, after adjustment for confounding,
- users of any kind of medicine,
- loop diuretics and
- inhaled corticosteroids (only men)
had respectively 4.4 nmol/L (p<0.01), 4.7 nmol/L (p=0.04), and 7.3 nmol/L (p=0.02) lower serum 25(OH)D than non-users.
In the second cohort (younger), the use of
- oral antidiabetics,
- calcium-channel blockers, and
was associated with respectively 7.4 nmol/L (p=0.04), 7.7 nmol/L (p=0.01), and 7.6 nmol/L (p<0.01) lower serum 25(OH)D.
CONCLUSIONS: These data show that users of several medicines have lower serum 25(OH)D than non-users.
Vitamin D supplementation may be considered in patients with chronic use of medicines.
– – – – – – – – – – – – – –
- Low health ==> take drugs ==> lower vitamin D
- Low vitamin D ==> Low health ==> take drugs
- All items in category Interactions 39 items as of Dec 2011
- Vitamin D interactions with drugs – Oct 2011 Abstract says which drugs, but not how much interaction
- NLM Vitamin D recommendations and interactions – Jan 2011
- Side Effects and Warning for vitamin D
- On-line survey of drug uses and side effects – including vitamin D
- Drugs which create a vitamin D deficiency
- Vitamin D use with Chemotherapy
- Chemotherapy might be amplified by vitamin D danger - could be fatal
- Holick: Antiseizure, Prednisone, AIDS drugs, St Johns wort, Orlistat, Questran
- Zaidi: Dilatin , Phenobarbital, Rifampin, Orlistat, Questran, Steroids
- And many others