J Dev Orig Health Dis. 2015 Oct 27:1-6. [Epub ahead of print]
Jacobsen R1, Moldovan M2, Vaag AA3, Hypponen E2, Heitmann BL1.
1 Research Unit for Dietary Studies, The Parker Institute, Frederiksberg Hospital, Frederiksberg, Denmark.
2 School of Population Health, University of South Australia, Adelaide, Australia.
3 Department of Endocrinology, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen, Denmark.
Fortification of margarine with vitamin D was mandatory in Denmark during 1961-1985. The aim of the study was to assess whether gestational and early infancy exposure to margarine fortification was associated with seasonality of birth in Danish type 1 diabetes (T1D) patients. The risks of T1D in Danes born during various exposure periods around margarine fortification termination in 1985 were analyzed.
As expected, the T1D hazards in males unexposed to margarine fortification and born in spring were higher than in males born in autumn: relevant hazard ratios (95% confidence intervals) in various exposure groups ranged from 1.74 (1.112/2.708) to 37.43 (1.804/776.558).
There were no indications of seasonality of birth in males exposed to fortification, nor in both exposed and unexposed females. The study suggests that early life exposure to low-dose vitamin D from fortified food eliminates seasonality of birth in T1D male patients. Further studies are required to investigate the identified gender differences.
How much vitamin D in was in the margarine?
- Fortification with Vitamin D category listing has
112 items along with related searches
- ODIN: Europeans study vitamin D fortification and testing
- Type 1 diabetes starting to decrease in Finland, they started Vitamin D fortification in 2003 – July 2013
- Vitamin D home fortification- don't wait 100 years for your govt
- Diabetes category listing has
477 items along with related searches
- Overview Diabetes and vitamin D contains the following summary
- Diabetes is 5X more frequent far from the equator
- Children getting 2,000 IU of vitamin D are 8X less likely to get Type 1 diabetes
- Obese people get less sun / Vitamin D - and also vitamin D gets lost in fat
- Sedentary people get less sun / Vitamin D
- Worldwide Diabetes increase has been concurrent with vitamin D decrease and air conditioning
- Elderly get 4X less vitamin D from the same amount of sun
Elderly also spend less time outdoors and have more clothes on
- All items in category Diabetes and Vitamin D
477 items: both Type 1 and Type 2
Vitamin D appears to both prevent and treat diabetes
- Appears that >2,000 IU will Prevent
- Appears that >4,000 IU will Treat , but not cure
- Appears that Calcium and Magnesium are needed for both Prevention and Treatment
- which are just some of the vitamin D cofactors
Number of articles in both categories of Diabetes and:
- Dark Skin
23 ; Intervention 51 ; Meta-analysis 34 ; Obesity 28 ; Pregnancy 40 ; T1 (child) 37 ; Omega-3 11 ; Vitamin D Receptor 21 ; Genetics 11 ; Magnesium 19 Click here to see detailsDiabetes (Type I, in males) became seasonal (with birth) when vitamin D supplementation was removed – Oct 2015 2259 visitors, last modified 28 Oct, 2015,