Association of vitamin D receptor gene polymorphisms with clinical outcomes of dengue virus infection
Hum Immunol. 2012 Nov;73(11):1194-9. doi: 10.1016/j.humimm.2012.08.007. Epub 2012 Aug 21.
Alagarasu K1, Honap T, Mulay AP, Bachal RV, Shah PS, Cecilia D.
1Dengue Group, National Institute of Virology, 20-A Ambedkar Road, Pune 411001, Maharashtra, India. alagarasu at gmail.com
- Benefits of Vitamin D often limited by genes
- Vitamin D level can be high, but little benefit: due to kidney, genes, low Magnesium etc.
- Vitamin D dose size needed – VitD testing tells only a portion of the story – Jan 2016
- How to significantly reduce your risk of contracting the Zika virus Zika and Dengue are very similar
Vitamin D Receptor activation can be increased by any of: Resveratrol, Omega-3, Magnesium, Zinc, Quercetin, non-daily Vit D, Curcumin, intense exercise, Ginger, Essential oils, etc Note: The founder of VitaminDWiki uses 10 of the 12 known VDR activators
Items in both categories Virus and Vitamin D Receptor are listed here:
- A virus that most adults have (Cytomegalovirus) decreases the amount of Vitamin D which gets to the cells – Jan 2017
- SARS-CoV-2 virus alters the activation of over 100 vitamin D related genes in the lung – April 2021
- Common sense COVID-19 risk reduction - masks, social distancing, vitamin D - Oct 2020
- AI is examining 170,000 potential COVID-19 treatments, Vitamin D is one of only 6 found – Sept 4, 2020
- Vitamin D Receptor activation should reduce ARDS associated with COVID-19 - June 2020
- Dengue viral production decreased 1000X if activate Vitamin D Receptor (in lab) – July 2020
- Vitamin D, Quercetin, and Estradiol all increase vitamin D in cells and increase genes which reduce COVID-19 – May 21, 2020
- Quercetin and Vitamin D —possible Allies Against Coronavirus - March 2020
- Risk of enveloped virus infection is increased 50 percent if poor Vitamin D Receptor - meta-analysis Dec 2018
- Hand, foot, and Mouth disease is 14X more likely if poor Vitamin D Receptor – Oct 2019
- Treating herpes reduced incidence of senile dementia by 10 X (HSV1 reduces VDR by 8X) – 2018
- Severe hand, foot, and mouth virus is 2.9 X more likely if poor Vitamin D receptor – Oct 2018
- Hepatitis B virus reduced by 5X the Vitamin D getting to liver cells in the lab – Oct 2018
- Some enveloped virus are 1.2 X more likely if have a poor Vitamin D Receptor -Aug 2018
- Severe Pertussis is 1.5 times more likely if poor vitamin D receptor – Feb 2016
- Dengue Fever associated with poor vitamin D receptor – July 2002
- Dengue virus 2X to 4X more likely if vitamin D receptor gene problems
Vitamin D is known to affect pathogenesis of dengue through modulation of immune responses.
Vitamin D exerts its effects through vitamin D receptor (VDR).
The functioning of VDR is affected by the gene polymorphisms in the coding (rs2228570) and 3'untranslated region (UTR) (rs1544410, rs7975232 and rs731236). In the present study, VDR gene polymorphisms were investigated in 112 dengue infected patients (83 dengue fever (DF) and 29 dengue hemorrhagic fever cases (DHF)) and 105 apparently healthy controls (HCs) using polymerase chain reaction based restriction fragment length polymorphisms methods. HCs had no documented evidence of symptomatic dengue. Results revealed significantly lower frequency of 'C' allele of rs7975232 in all dengue patients (DEN) as compared to HCs [(P corrected (Pc)=0.014, Odds ratio (OR) 0.51]. The frequency of C/C genotype of rs7975232 was significantly lower in DEN and DF cases compared to HCs (DEN vs. HCs: Pc=0.0184, OR 0.24; DF cases vs. HCs: Pc=0.028, OR 0.21). The frequency of T allele of rs2228570 in a dominant mode was significantly higher in DHF cases as compared to DF cases (P=0.034 OR 2.58). A significantly lower frequency of the haplotype G-C-T (Pc=0.0135) and higher frequency of the haplotype G-A-T (Pc=0.000085) was observed in DEN and DF cases as compared to HCs. The results suggest that the 3'UTR haplotypes of VDR gene are differentially associated with risk of symptomatic dengue requiring hospitalization. The 'T' allele of rs2228570 polymorphism in a dominant mode of inheritance is associated with DHF.
Levels of 25-hydroxy Vitamin D3 and Vitamin D Receptor Polymorphism in Severe Dengue Cases From New Delhi
Download the PDF from VitaminDWiki