Admission 25-Hydroxyvitamin D Levels Are Associated With Functional Status at Time of Discharge from Intensive Care Unit in Critically Ill Surgical Patients.
Nutr Clin Pract. 2018 Oct 7. doi: 10.1002/ncp.10196. [Epub ahead of print]
Brook K1, Otero TMN1,2,3, Yeh DD4,5, Canales C1,6, Belcher D7, Quraishi SA1,8.
- Trauma and surgery category listing has
327 items along with related searches
- Sepsis is fought by Vitamin D in 9 ways – Feb 2023
- Fewer drugs needed after cardiac surgery if higher levels of vitamin D (Chinese children) – July 2021
- 3X less Septic Shock in children with sepsis getting 150,000 IU of Vitamin D - RCT June 2020
- PICU children with low vitamin D levels have worse health scores (PRISM-III) – Feb 2020
- Vitamin D levels dropped 42 percent immediately after pediatric cardiac surgery – Dec 2019
- Septic children have low Vitamin D (54 studies, ignored Vitamin D Receptor) – meta-analysis April 2019
- Candida infections in PICU reduced by Vitamin D in yogurt – RCT Feb 2019
- Children entering ICU with low vitamin D were 3.5 X more likely to have a poor ICU score– Oct 2018
- Critically ill children with low vitamin D: 2.5 X more likely to die or stay 2 days longer - meta-analysis Nov 2017
- Micronutrients (such as Vitamin D) for critically ill children – review Oct 2017
- Critically ill children – randomized clinical trial to give single doses of up to 400,000 IU of vitamin D – 2019
- Vitamin D deficiency in pediatric critical illness: Time to move on from observational studies – Nov 2016
- Low vitamin D in Pediatric ICU – 5 times more ill (morbidity) – Spanish Nov 2016
- Children in Intensive Care need Vitamin D loading dose of 10000 IU per kg (nearing a consensus) - Oct 2016
- Children stayed in ICU 3.5 days longer if low vitamin D – Dec 2015
- Rapid Normalization of Vitamin D in Critically Ill Children (10,000 IU per kg) – clinical trial
- Congenital Heart problems - vitamin D levels drop even lower after surgery, loading dose probably required - thesis 2015
- Infant in ICU much more likely to die if low vitamin D – Nov 2015
- 5 out of 6 children who died in pediatric critical care unit had low vitamin D – May 2014
- Hospitalization consumes vitamin D in children – March 2014
- Congenital heart surgery dropped vitamin D levels by 40 percent – July 2013
- Vitamin D deficient children stayed in ICU almost 2 days longer – Sept 2012
- Sepsis is both prevented and treated by Vitamin D - many studies
Vitamin D status is associated with length of stay (LOS) and discharge destination in critically ill patients. To further understand this relationship, we investigated whether admission 25-hydroxyvitaminD (25OHD) levels are associated with discharge functional status in the intensive care unit (ICU).
In this retrospective study, data from 2 surgical ICUs at a large teaching hospital were analyzed. 25OHD levels were measured within 24 hours of ICU admission and Functional Status Score for the ICU (FSS-ICU) was calculated within 24 hours of ICU discharge for all patients. To investigate the association of vitamin D status with FSS-ICU, we constructed linear and logistic regression models, controlling for body mass index, Nutrition Risk in the Critically Ill score, ICU LOS, and cumulative protein or caloric deficit during ICU admission.
Mean 25OHD level and FSS-ICU was 19 (SD 8) ng/mL and 17 (SD 4), respectively, in the analytic cohort (n = 300). Each unit increase in 25OHD level was associated with a 0.2 increment in FSS-ICU (β = .20; 95% CI 0.14-0.25). Patients with 25OHD levels <20 ng/mL had >3-fold risk of low FSS-ICU (<17) compared with patients with 25OHD >20 ng/mL (OR 3.45; 95% CI 1.96-6.08).
Our results suggest that vitamin D status at admission is associated with discharge FSS-ICU in critically ill surgical patients. Future studies are needed to validate our results, to build upon our findings, and to determine whether optimizing 25OHD levels can improve functional status and other important clinical outcomes in ICU patients.Children entering ICU with low vitamin D were 3.5 X more likely to have a poor ICU score– Oct 2018
3447 visitors, last modified 09 Oct, 2018,This page is in the following categories (# of items in each category)