Table of contents
- Cold-weather states showing highest rate of new cases Washington Post, Oct 20
- Seasonality of COVID, Influenza
- COVID-19 cases increasing in Northern Canada as winter strikes
- Winter is also arriving in Russia
- Winter is arriving in Austria (it has a very cold climate)
- - 450,000 COVID-19 deaths in Europe in next 3 months – WHO Nov 4, 2021
- Winter is arriving in Alberta Canada (Test positve vs latitude in Oct)
- - COVID-19 Infection Rate Skyrockets in America’s Most Vaccinated State: Vermont - Nov 14, 2021
- 11,321 Breakthru COVID cases in Massachusetts last week (fully vaccinated) - Dec 7, 2021
Cold-weather states showing highest rate of new cases Washington Post, Oct 20
- "Alaska is leading the low-temperature states with an increase in the number of infections, with 123 new cases per 100,000 residents on a seven-day rolling average"
Observation: peaking in Northern states in Nov
Previous pandemics (see below) also peaked in Nov
Might this peaking be due
1) To the body adjusting to change of season
2) To running out of people to become infected soon after reduction in Vitamin D
Alaska Oct 23
- "New Hampshire, Illinois, Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island have recorded increases in infections, according to Post data."
- '... allow doctors to ration treatment and stop treating those with little chance of survival"
- The role of seasonality in the spread of COVID-19 pandemic - Apris 2021 Free PDF
- On the Environmental Determinants of COVID-19 Seasonality - May 2021 FREE PDF
- Does Covid-19 follow a similar seasonal pattern to flu? The Guardian
- for most countries, it is lack of sunshine- typically = winter
- Exceptions: India, monsoon season
- Exception Southern US in Summer 2020: outbreak when stay away from hot sun by the use of air conditioning
- Similar to summer being the flu and cold season in the portions of the Middle East that use air conditioning
- UV provides the best explanation of COVID-19 variation in Italy (74 pcnt) – Nov 2020
- Infectious mononucleosis and lack of UV linearly linked to MS in England – April 2011
Note: Pandemic peaked in Nov in Northern state
October UV Map of the US
Note: ZERO UV for Alaska
- Northwest Territories grappling with Canada’s highest COVID-19 infection rate Oct 14
- "The Northwest Territories (NWT) currently has the highest rate of active COVID-19 cases in Canada, with the equivalent of 740 cases per 100,000 people. This is more than one-and-a-half times the rate in Alberta, where hospitals have had to implement triage protocols, denying vitally needed care to some patients, due to an unprecedented explosion of infections and hospital admissions"
- "... 1,400 have been reported since mid-August 2021."
- Yukon declares COVID-19 outbreak in Whitehorse long-term care home, reports 22 new cases Oct 20
Moscow prepares for a return to lockdown as covid cases — and deaths — soar Washington Post Oct 22
- "Independent demographer Alexey Raksha calculated that excess mortality — seen by analysts as the most reliable indicator of coronavirus deaths — has reached around 750,000, he said in a Facebook post. Raksha’s calculation used figures maintained by Rosstat, Russia’s statistical agency, where Raksha used to work."
Russia Cases Nov 8
- "Its infections are among the highest on the continent, with a seven-day incidence of 971.5 per 100,000 people"
Austria Cases NYT Nov18