Check Vitamin D in Adolescents Before Bariatric Surgery Family Practice News
clips of paper presented by Dr. Marisa Censani at Endocrine Society. ENDO 2012
- Every kilogram increase in BMI correlated with a 0.2-ng decrease in 25OHD levels,
- Roughly 80% of African American deficient , rest had insufficient levels. (100%)
- Hispanics, nearly 60% deficient, close to 25% had insufficient levels (85%)
- Virtually all Bariatric Surgery patients vitamin D deficient – should we routinely supplement – Jan 2011
96% of French Bariatric patients < 20 nanograms
- Prior to Bariatric Surgery 96 percent were vitamin D deficient – July 2014
- Vitamin D probably important for Bariatric Surgery – April 2018
- Bariatric Surgery is Bad for the Bone (reduce vitamin uptake, etc)– 2016
- Overview Deficiency of vitamin D has a chart - a portion of which shows the problems AFTER the surgery
Overview Gut and vitamin D contains the following summary
- Gut problems result in reduced absorption of Vitamin D, Magnesium, etc.
- Celiac disease has a strong genetic component.
- Most, but not all, people with celiac disease have a gene variant.
- An adequate level vitamin D seems to decrease the probability of getting celiac disease.
- Celiac disease causes poor absorption of nutrients such as vitamin D.
- Bringing the blood level of vitamin D back to normal in patients with celiac disease decreases symptoms.
- The prevalence of celiac disease, not just its diagnosis, has increased 4X in the past 30 years, similar to the increase in Vitamin D deficiency.
- Review in Nov 2013 found that Vitamin D helped
Many intervention clinical trials with vitamin D for Gut problems (101 trials listed as of Sept 2019)
- All items in category gut and vitamin D
Overview Obesity and Vitamin D contains the following summary
- FACT: People who are obese have less vitamin D in their blood
- FACT: Obese need a higher dose of vitamin D to get to the same level of vit D
- FACT: When obese people lose weight the vitamin D level in their blood increases
- FACT: Adding Calcium, perhaps in the form of fortified milk, often reduces weight
- FACT: 140 trials for vitamin D intervention of obesity as of Sept 2019
- FACT: Less weight gain by senior women with > 30 ng of vitamin D
- FACT: Dieters lost additional 5 lbs if vitamin D supplementation got them above 32 ng - RCT
- FACT: Obese lost 3X more weight by adding $10 of Vitamin D
- FACT: Those with darker skins were more likely to be obese Sept 2014
- SUGGESTION: Probably need more than 4,000 IU to lose weight if very low on vitamin D due to
risk factors such as overweight, age, dark skin, live far from equator,shut-in, etc.
- Obesity category has
336 items 4533 visitors, last modified 03 Nov, 2019, URL: