Journal of Pediatric Nursing, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pedn.2021.07.005 PDF costs $14.
Note: 3X average reduction for trials giving
200, 200, 600, 650, 1,000, 1,000, 1,200, 2,000 IU daily for as little as 6 weeks
Should have given > 1,500 IU daily for at least 24 weeks
The association between serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D (25-OHD) level and asthma occurrence in children was controversial.
The Pubmed, Ovid Medline, Embase, Cochrane Library were systematically searched up to April 13th 2020. All the study measured the serum 25-OHD level in children, or classified the children based on the 25-OHD level into severe vitamin D deficiency, insufficient deficiency and comparing the prevalence of asthma in childhood were included in our study.
A total of 35 studies were included in our meta-analysis. Among them, 24 studies were included for analyzing the association between 25-OHD level and asthma, and 12 studies evaluated the treatment effect of vitamin D.
The children with asthma (5711 participants) had significant lower 25-OHD level than children without asthma (21,561 participants) (21.7 ng/ml versus 26.5 ng/ml, SMD = −1.36, 95% = −2.40 - - 0.32, P = 0.010).
Besides, the children with asthma treated with vitamin D supplement had a significantly lower recurrence rate than the placebo group (18.4% versus 35.9%, RR = 0.35, 95%CI = 0.35–0.79, P = 0.002).
Children with asthma had a lower 25-OHD level than healthy children.
Vitamin D supplement could decrease the asthma recurrence rate in the follow-up years.
This study implies that lower 25-OHD may cause asthma in childhood.
Overview Asthma and Vitamin D contains
- VitaminDWiki pages containing ASTHMA in title (145 as of July 2023)
- Asthma attacks reduced in half if Vitamin D level higher than 42 nanograms – RCT May 2014
- Started with 100,000 IU loading dose and has standard-of-care Asthma drug
- Asthma may be treated by Vitamin D if more than 40 ng for 12 months – Sept 2018
- Those with Asthma or COPD had half the response to Vitamin D – March 2020
- Those with Asthma need larger doses to get the same response.
- perhaps need gut-friendly Vitamin D
- Asthma occurrence rate reduced 3X by Vitamin D – 8 study meta-analysis - Aug 2021
- Asthma in child 2.3 X more likely if both parents asthmatic (unless add Vitamin D) – VDAART Nov 2018
- Adult-onset asthma 2X more likely if low vitamin D and not hyperallergenic – May 2018
- Children had poor lung function if mothers had low vitamin D while pregnant – Nov 2022
- 26 health factors increase the risk of COVID-19 – all are proxies for low vitamin D
- CDC list of high-risk for COVID-19 includes Asthma
- Child Asthma increased 2.1 X by antibiotics, Child milk allergy increased 4.4 X by PPI – April 2018
- Asthmatic children taking Corticosteroids had 2X more vitamin D intake, but lower levels – July 2017
- Traffic pollution increases asthma unless supplement with Vitamin D (mice) June 2018
- Childhood asthma problems eliminated for months by 600,000 IU of Vitamin D injection – June 2017
- Proof that Vitamin D Works 92 health problems prevented/treated as of Nov 2020
- Asthma has been proven to be treated by Vitamin D in at least 4 random controlled trials
- Childhood asthma still reduced 4 months after 800 IU of Vitamin D daily - RCT Feb 2016
- Respiratory Disease exacerbations (Asthma, CF, COPD) may be treated by Vitamin D – July 2019
- Women with asthma 35X more likely to be vitamin D deficient – Oct 2013
- If high vitamin D during pregnancy the child is 5X less likely to get asthma
- Asthma is treated by Vitamin D – now they are trying to understand why – Feb 2015
- Increase in vitamin D deficiency may partially explain increases in asthma and allergies – Jan 2015
- Why deficiencies in vitamin D and magnesium are linked to asthma Magnesium allows muscles to relax
- Babies 3.6X more likely to go to hospital for asthma if asthmatic mother had low vitamin D while pregnant – June 2019
- The worse the bronchial asthma, the lower the vitamin D – Jan 2017 has the following chart