Presented at Americas Committee for Treatment and Research in Multiple Sclerosis (ACTRIMS) Forum 2019
Used the electronic health record information available in the IBM Explorys EPM: Explore database
141,880 people with MS – 19% had asthma
56,416,790 without MS – 6.6 % had asthma
2.97- [CI], 2.96, 2.97, P < .0001).
“"It is unknown why there is this increase," Briggs explained. "We do know that MS and asthma share several common risk factors, including tobacco smoke, vitamin D insufficiency, and obesity. There is also evidence for some overlap in their genetic risk factors."
Items in both categories Multiple Sclerosis and Breathing are listed here:
- Asthma 3X more likely if have Multiple Sclerosis (both have low Vitamin D) – March 2019
- Inflammation and immune responses to Vitamin D (perhaps need to measure active vitamin D) – July 2017
- Inflammatory diseases: review of vitamin D, with many tables – May 2014
- Season of birth associated with pneumonia (10 pcnt) and multiple sclerosis (30 pcnt) – May 2013
- UV produces more than vitamin D – Aug 2011
- Vitamin D patent for treating immune system diseases
Diseases which are related due to vitamin D deficiency has the following MS entries as of March 2019