Conn Med. 2016 Mar;80(3):133-7.
Belsky J, Sena S, Baqai S, Dilello LC, Petrini JR.
Table 3. % Distribution of 25-OH Vitamin D Levels, 2009–2012
|Year|| < 10 |
| < 20 |
| < 30 |
|> 100 |
This study describes the trends in blood vitamin D levels in a regional population from 2009-2012 through a cross-sectional study design.
Over a four-year period (2009-2012), serum levels of 25-hydroxyvitamin D [25(OH)D] have been measured using an automated enzyme immunoassay with a steadily increasing number of tests performed each year. A total of 54700 tests were performed during this period, with a 90% increase in annual tests ordered.
Mean and median serum levels of 25(OH) D showed statistically significant increases during this period. Those with 25(OH)D levels below 10 ng/mL represented 1.45% of the subjects in 2009 and 0.3% in 2012. The decrease in the proportion of subjects with 25(OH)D levels below 20 ng/mL and below 30 ng/mL was greatest out of all the proportioned subjects. Mean and median 25(OH)D levels increased with age in males and females.
These results likely reflect increased health awareness in Western Connecticut compared with national surveys showing a temporal decrease in 25(OH)D levels.
Download the PDF from VitaminDWiki
Nice to see that some people are making modest increases in Vitamin D levelsIncreased use of D category listing has
- Vitamin D use increased 3.7 X, Omega-3 increased 9 X (US 1999-2012) – JAMA Oct 2016
- Vitamin D levels increasing 7 percent per year, bones denser in Japan (probably supplementation) - June 2015
- Vitamin D supplementation in Ireland - big increase in people with 20-50 nanograms in 20 years – June 2015
- 26 X increase in Vitamin D prescriptions for youths in England in 8 years – Dec 2019
- Vitamin D in US children: those having more than 40 ng increased 60 percent (2001-2010) - Dec 2016
- Vitamin D overtakes Vitamin C to become the UK's best-selling supplement – Jan 2019
- 4 times fewer with vitamin D deficiency in just 4 years ( Connecticut) – March 2016
- 20X increase in vitamin D sold and 36 percent decrease in osteoporosis business in Australia – Nov 2013
|2107 visitors, last modified 05 Dec, 2019,