Table of contents
- Changes in the immune response against SARS-CoV-2 in individuals with severe COVID-19 treated with high dose of vitamin D
- VitaminDwiki- Items in both categories Virus and Intervention (
- VitaminDWiki – COVID-19 treated by Vitamin D - studies, reports, videos
- VitaminDWiki pages with HIGH-DOSE in title (63 as of April 2022)
Changes in the immune response against SARS-CoV-2 in individuals with severe COVID-19 treated with high dose of vitamin D
Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biopha.2022.112965
Montserrat Torres, Guiomar Casado, Lorena Vigón, Sara Rodríguez-Mora, Elena Mateos, Fernando Ramos-Martín, Daniel López-Wolf, José Sanz-Moreno, Pablo Ryan-Murua, María Luisa Taboada-Martínez, María Rosa López-Huertas, Miguel Cervero, Mayte Coiras – Multidisciplinary Group of Study of COVID-19 (MGS-COVID)1 Madrid
- Treatment with 10,000 IU/day of cholecalciferol was safe during severe COVID-19.
- Anti-inflammatory cytokine IL-10 was significantly increased in 10,000 IU/day group.
- Individuals who received 10,000 IU/day of cholecalciferol showed increased CD4 count.
- Individuals with ARDS in 10,000 IU/day group stayed at the hospital less time.
- The 10,000 IU/day group showed increased antiviral cytotoxic activity.
Main cause of severe illness and death in COVID-19 patients appears to be an excessive but ineffectual inflammatory immune response that may cause severe acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS). Vitamin D may favour an anti-inflammatory environment and improve cytotoxic response against some infectious diseases. A multicenter, single-blind, prospective, randomized clinical trial was approved in patients with COVID-19 pneumonia and levels of 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25(OH)D) of 14.8 ng/mL (SD: 6.18) to test antiviral efficacy, tolerance and safety of 10,000 IU/day of cholecalciferol (vitamin D3) for 14 days, in comparison with 2,000 IU/day.
After supplementation, mean serum 25(OH)D levels increased to
- 19 ng/mL on average in 2,000 IU/day versus
- 29 ng/mL in 10,000 IU/day group (p <0.0001).
Although levels of inflammatory cytokines were not modified by treatment with 10,000 IU/day, there was an increase of anti-inflammatory cytokine IL-10 and higher levels of CD4+ T cells, with predominance of T central memory subpopulation.
Cytotoxic response against pseudotyped SARS-CoV-2 infected cells was increased more than 4-fold in patients who received 10,000 IU/day. Moreover, levels of IFN? were significantly higher in this group.
Beneficial effect of supplementation with 10,000 IU/day was also observed in participants who developed ARDS and stayed at the hospital for 8.0 days, whereas those who received 2,000 IU/day stayed for 29.2 days (p=0.0381). Administration of high doses of vitamin D3 as adjuvant of the standard care treatment during hospitalization for COVID-19 may improve the inflammatory environment and cytotoxic response against pseudotyped SARS-CoV-2 infected cells, shortening the hospital stay and, possibly, improving the prognosis.
Download the PDF from VitaminDWiki
Clipped from PDF
The inclusion criteria for the participants in the study were being adults (>18 years old) hospitalized for at least seven days from the onset of COVID-19 symptoms, which is when usually began the inflammatory phase, with a diagnosis of pneumonia due to COVID-19
No hospitalization if had gotten high dose vitamin D at COVID symptom onset
VitaminDWiki: Take lots of Vitamin D at first signs of COVID
thanks to Gustavo Bellini for pointing out this study
VitaminDwiki- Items in both categories Virus and Intervention (
This list is automatically updated
- Vitamin D Supplements Don’t Reduce COVID-19 Risk (used only 3,200 IU daily) - Oct 2022
- High dose vitamin D fights Folate gene changes by COVID, autoimmune, CVD, ALZ – Oct 2022
- COVID in hospital fought by Vitamin D (25,000 IU daily for 4 days, then 25K weekly) - RCT – July 2022
- Small Vitamin D doses for a short time never help (not improve vaccination in this case) – RCT Sept 2022
- The challenges of a Vitamin D RCT – too many already taking it, etc. – Martineau Sept 2022
- Early COVID treatments rarely work 7 days after symptoms, this trial gave Vitamin D on 7th day – RCT May 2022
- COVID children helped by Vitamin D, trial terminated: unethical to not give Vitamin D to all: – RCT July 2022
- COVID hospital deaths reduced 2X by 8 days of UVB – pilot RCT May 2022
- 21 fewer days in hospital with ARDS (COVID) if 10,000 IU of Vitamin D daily after enter hospital – RCT April, 2022
- 4X less likely to get COVID following 4,000 IU daily for a month – RCT April 2022
- Risk of COVID not reduced by 3,200 IU of vitamin D during 6 months (no surprise) – RCT March 2022
- Group achieving 30 ng (vs 26 ng) were 2X less likely to get COVID symptoms - RCT Jan 2022
- Tested positive for COVID, taking probiotics stopped symptoms 5 days sooner - RCT Jan 2022
- Vitamin D given slowly in hospital did not fight COVID-19 much - Nov 2021
- Nursing home vaccinated against Influenza, 800 IU of vitamin D daily cut infection rate in half – small RCT Oct 2021
- COVID-19 appears reduced by Resveratrol plus 100K IU of vitamin D – Small RCT Sept 2021
- Vitamin D trial for COVID-19 – using their patented slow-release form – Aug 2021
- COVID-19 mortality reduced 4X (chart looks like 2X) by large, infrequent doses of Vitamin D in France – July 2021
- COVID-19 outpatients getting Quercetin nanoemulsion had excellent outcomes (Q increased Vitamin D in cells) – RCT – June 2021
- 5,000 U daily raised Vitamin D a bit and helped COVID-19 a bit – RCT June 2021
- COVID-19 inflammation extinguished by 60,000 IU of vitamin D nanoemulsion daily for a week – RCT May 2021
- Better response to shingles virus after 6,400 IU Vitamin D raised above 40 ng – Jan 2021
- COVID-19 ICU survival rate increased 7X by daily Omega-3 – RCT March 2021
- Kidney patients who happened to be getting high-dose Calcitriol were 9X less likely to die of COVID-19 - April 6, 2021
- Vitamin D not help 10 days after COVID-19 symptoms - RCT March 2021
- 5X less likely to enter ICU with COVID-19 if get Calcifediol (semi-activated vitamin D) - RCT Feb 19, 2021
- calcifediol rct
- COVID-19 defeated 3x faster by 420,000 IU Vitamin D nanoemulsion – RCT Nov 12, 2020
- COVID-19 defeated by calcifediol form of Vitamin D in Spain - pilot RCT Aug 29, 2020
- Swine flu not prevented by 2,000 IU of vitamin D daily (the upper limit at the time) – RCT 2014
- Influenza vaccine antibodies not change with Vitamin D – 21 ng or 44 ng – RCT Feb 2019
- Dengue virus prevented by a small amount of Vitamin D – RCT Nov 2019
- Half the risk of Influenza -A in infants taking 1200 IU of vitamin D for 4 months – RCT Jan 2018
- Chikungunya virus arthritis pain reduced by weekly 60,000 IU vitamin D – Sept 2016
- Many Infectious diseases (virus) treated and prevented by Vitamin D – review July 2009
- Influenza prevented by 40 ng levels or treated with vitamin D hammer (50,000 IU) – June 2015
- Infection fighting ability increased with 5,000 IU Vitamin D daily – April 2015
- Vitamin D prevents Hepatitis-C and helps treat it (many studies)
- Malaria in mice brains, and associated inflammation, prevented by Vitamin D intervention – July 2014
- Influenza A: 5X reduction in first month (only) with 2,000 IU of vitamin D– RCT July 2014
VitaminDWiki – COVID-19 treated by Vitamin D - studies, reports, videos
As of Nov 25, 2022, the VitaminDWiki COVID page had: 19 trial results, 37 meta-analyses and reviews, Mortality studies see related: Governments, HealthProblems, Hospitals, Dark Skins, 26 risk factors are ALL associated with low Vit D, Recent Virus pages Fight COVID-19 with 50K Vit D weekly Vaccines Take lots of Vitamin D at first signs of COVID 116 COVID Clinical Trials using Vitamin D (08/2022)
5 most-recently changed Virus entries
- The above image is automatically updated
This list is automatically updatedItems found: 6721 fewer days in hospital with ARDS (COVID) if 10,000 IU of Vitamin D daily after enter hospital – RCT April, 2022
723 visitors, last modified 18 Apr, 2022,This page is in the following categories (# of items in each category)Intervention 757 Virus 1166
ID Name Comment Uploaded Size Downloads 17452 10,000 IU summary.jpg admin 18 Apr, 2022 15:12 303.06 Kb 162 17451 ARDS days.jpg admin 18 Apr, 2022 15:12 25.80 Kb 224 17450 10,000 IU response.jpg admin 18 Apr, 2022 15:12 17.10 Kb 161 17449 Changes in the immune response 10,000 IU.pdf PDF 2022 admin 18 Apr, 2022 15:11 1.44 Mb 78